Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's always something it seems. I would not want to be Pope.

(IsraelNN.com)
Muslims led by a radical imam in the town where Jesus was said to be raised are not pleased at the prospect of a visit from the Pope, and have prepared a special insult with which to greet him.

Radical Imam Nazem Abu Salim inspired his followers to string up a banner across the main square of Nazareth with a blatant warning for Pope Benedict XVI: "Those who harm G-d and His Messenger – G-d has cursed them in this world and in the hereafter, and has prepared for them a humiliating punishment."

The words, lifted from the Koran, are translated into English in a small sign next to the banner, which is visible from the Church of the Annunciation, one of the sites the pontiff will visit on May 18.

Abu Salim was clear that the purpose of the banner was to drive the Pope away: "He is not welcome here," he told an Associated Press reporter this week.

Continued- http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/131104

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No, Islam is just a religion of hatred created by a man that married a 6 year old and had sex with at 9... which we have names for in modern society.

Alternative sexual orientation?

Didn't America's liberal government pass a bill on something like that?

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are times, ways and places to exercise your freedom of speech. I would be ashamed if, say, a group of Polish Catholics put up a sign quoting John's Gospel "Let His blood fall on us and our children!" while the President of Israel visits Auschwitz.

(I hope you all agree that this would be a close parallel: a correct quote from Scripture, a statement that reflects the true belief of the demonstrators, a place that is revered and emotionally important to the person/religion being demonsrated against.)

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
There are times, ways and places to exercise your freedom of speech. I would be ashamed if, say, a group of Polish Catholics put up a sign quoting John's Gospel "Let His blood fall on us and our children!" while the President of Israel visits Auschwitz.

(I hope you all agree that this would be a close parallel: a correct quote from Scripture, a statement that reflects the true belief of the demonstrators, a place that is revered and emotionally important to the person/religion being demonstrated against.)

Yup, this would be a close parallel. A lot of Catholics would be offended and a lot wouldn't too. That is what I think.

What might the reaction of the Polish government be to such a travesty, do you think? What would the reaction of the western media be, were this to take place?

Do you think that local Catholic Churches would be silent on the issue, were this to happen in their name?

Do you think that there would be any protests against such a demonstration on behalf of the Polish people who would be embarrassed and ashamed that such a demonstration was takling place on their soil, in their name?

It is all speculative of course. Maybe such skinheads would carry the signs and Polish society as a whole would be silent still.

and then what might we think about the state of Polish society?

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think that yes, they would protest - neither the Polish nation nor Catholicism at large would let this go without protest.

Muslims will, I bet, protest far less - but rest assured that a lot of them will. (I'm saying "will", not "would" because my guess is that it this demonstration WILL happen.)

Anyway, that is not the point. The point is that a couple of posters defended the "right of free speech" involved in this demonstration, and I argued that it cannot be defended with that argument.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think that yes, they would protest - neither the Polish nation nor Catholicism at large would let this go without protest.

Muslims will, I bet, protest far less - but rest assured that a lot of them will. (I'm saying "will", not "would" because my guess is that it this demonstration WILL happen.)

Anyway, that is not the point. The point is that a couple of posters defended the "right of free speech" involved in this demonstration, and I argued that it cannot be defended with that argument.
It may not have been your point, but it is a very important point nevertheless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maybenotcrazy

Okay okay...
Sep 25, 2008
nowhere
✟15,828.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a big fan of the pope, I'll admit, but I do think he deserves a little more respect than this. Certainly he is a representative of christ, the main one or not I will not even pretend to debate that. Certainly the President of Iran (no where near as worthy an individual, and I'm using the word worthy loosely) received a better welcome than this planned one in New York. I say get em out of nazareth get em out of all the holy places. Their religion is against my GOD for it says he was not god but man only not son of God but prophet. My God lived in nazareth these men profane his earthly hometown and profaned his churches. I pray for a rude awakening if they haven't gotten enough. Arab or not arab I'm for a rethinking of this lackadaisical approach toward islam by everyone many are leaving christ for the devil because of this open door we give to islam. I'm not talking about christian arabs who should be protected in israel more than they are.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It may not have been your point, but it is a very important point nevertheless.
When it happens, there will be lots of reports of Muslims agreeing, and some reports of Muslims disagreeing. And I will say; "See? Some Muslims disagreed!", and you will say: "See? A lot of Muslims agreed."

OK, let's consider this debate happened and closed, all in advance. LOL- aren't we efficient?

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a big fan of the pope, I'll admit, but I do think he deserves a little more respect than this. Certainly he is a representative of christ, the main one or not I will not even pretend to debate that. Certainly the President of Iran (no where near as worthy an individual, and I'm using the word worthy loosely) received a better welcome than this planned one in New York. I say get em out of nazareth get em out of all the holy places. Their religion is against my GOD for it says he was not god but man only not son of God but prophet. My God lived in nazareth these men profane his earthly hometown and profaned his churches. I pray for a rude awakening if they haven't gotten enough. Arab or not arab I'm for a rethinking of this lackadaisical approach toward islam by everyone many are leaving christ for the devil because of this open door we give to islam. I'm not talking about christian arabs who should be protected in israel more than they are.
We cannot get them out of all our holy places, Maybenotcrazy, because they are THEIR holy places as well.

There would be room for all of us in the holy places, if we could live with each other in a civilized way, recognize each other's claims, and act in accordance with the Golden Rule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
When it happens, there will be lots of reports of Muslims agreeing, and some reports of Muslims disagreeing. And I will say; "See? Some Muslims disagreed!", and you will say: "See? A lot of Muslims agreed."

OK, let's consider this debate happened and closed, all in advance. LOL- aren't we efficient?
How could you consider this a debate? I agrred with you analogy as bing absolutely correct. Virtually all of mainstream conservative commentary would agree that you analogy was the perfect one.
and you agree that protests against such things would be more mainstream in wester nculture than they are in the oriental culture of the ME.

I am perfectly satisfied that we are on the same page here. If this continues to be your message, you will not run into any roadblocks from the right side of the aisle.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I doubt the "sign" or protests will bother the Pope.........he gets enough of it from dissenting catholics..........I just want him safe from harm.
Lol, now that is funny.
I agree. The harshest critics of the Catholci message are normally other Catholics.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.