Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "karma bites," files: NASA Scientists Taken Off Guard by What They Notice While Looking at Pluto Photo: ‘Who Would Have Expected…?’ | The Blaze

Scientists at NASA were surprised when a photo transmitted by the New Horizons spacecraft last week revealed that Pluto has blue skies and frozen ice.

“Who would have expected a blue sky in the Kuiper Belt? It’s gorgeous,” said Alan Stern, New Horizons principal investigator from Southwest Research Institute.

blue-skies-water-found-on-pluto.jpg

Pluto ... who knew it was kinda like earth.

Reactions: mindlight

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought The Magic School Bus had the most accurate rendition of Pluto. When Arnold takes his space helmet off and his face instantly turns into a block of ice. Any '94 kidz remember this?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pluto will never be habitable - its too small and cold. But nice to know they have confirmed that scientific or tourist bases might be viable in the distant future given the presence of water ice. When i have saved up enough for my space yacht then I would definitely include Pluto in the solar system tour schedule.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

blue-skies-water-found-on-pluto.jpg

Pluto ... who knew it was kinda like earth.

that is a sexy pic, ohhh baby. I got a full nerd-on with that one...

Pluto will never be habitable - its too small and cold. But nice to know they have confirmed that scientific or tourist bases might be viable in the distant future given the presence of water ice. When i have saved up enough for my space yacht then I would definitely include Pluto in the solar system tour schedule.

Depends by what you mean by habitable. Obviously not by itself. But by the time we have the technology to send a manned mission to Pluto, we'd also have the technology to make Pluto habitable. Essentially, it would be like a space station but better.

All we need really is water and Pluto has been shown to have plenty :), and since it's in the Kuiper belt odds are good we can mine for minerals and metals there and build up on Pluto. Heck, who knows, maybe there is a decent mineral/metal deposit somewhere on Pluto....

Last edited:
Upvote 0