✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus spoke paradoxically in Matthew 11:

28 "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
A yoke is a wooden frame joining together a pair of oxen for pulling heavy loads.

In what sense is Jesus' yoke easy and his burden light?

The key to understanding this paradox is the contrast between Jesus and me. Before I knew him, I was doing things with my strength by myself. There was no partner. After I believed, Jesus dwells in me. By doing his things, yoking with him, he is doing things with me. Things could still be difficult and burdensome. That's the paradox. However, now it is not just me who is doing them. Jesus is doing it with me.

But Jesus' burden is for the lost? That is heavy?

Sure, but he may not ask you particularly to share this particular burden with him. If he does, you are not carrying this burden alone.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus spoke paradoxically in Matthew 11:

A yoke is a wooden frame joining together a pair of oxen for pulling heavy loads.

The key to understanding this paradox is the contrast between Jesus and me. Before I knew him, I was doing things with my strength by myself. There was no partner. After I believed, Jesus dwells in me. By doing his things, yoking with him, he is doing things with me. Things could still be difficult and burdensome. That's the paradox. However, now it is not just me who is doing them. Jesus is doing it with me.

But Jesus' burden is for the lost? That is heavy?

Sure, but he may not ask you particularly to share this particular burden with him. If he does, you are not carrying this burden alone.
Jesus set an example for us to follow of how to walk in obedience to God's law and in Matthew 11:28-30, he was inviting people to come to him for rest and to learn from him. Moreover, by Jesus saying that we will find rest for our souls, he was referencing Jeremiah 6:16-19, where God's law is described as the good way were we will find rest for our souls.

Upvote 0

UZZA

Called and Chosen
May 11, 2006
Southeast
✟15,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In all senses! Jesus is offering another Way, another Truth and another Life. Jesus is offering those whom he chooses to know The Father (verse 27) to become a new creature. The burdens of Jesus are light. Look at Psalm 91 and the Truth reveals that Life in Christ will be a real light burden. Did not Jesus say that He would fight our battles? Being taken away from the cares of this world takes away burdens. One can put a thousand to flight, but two can put ten thousand to flight. (And the two shall become one. Husband and Wife equal one. Jesus and that one can put ten thousand to flight) Yoked with The Overcomer of the World can't do anything but make this journey easy. Having the Word to rebuke, correct and train us makes the journey ease and light burdened. Amen?

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

UZZA

Called and Chosen
May 11, 2006
Southeast
✟15,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about his Cross? Is Jesus' Cross light?
The burden that Jesus had to bear on the cross has nothing to do with what He has offered to those He chose to offer to take His yoke and burden. We have crosses to bear, but God promised us that He would not place more upon us than we could bear. If you are speaking about Jesus death on the cross, Paul informed us that to die is to gain, so in that sense, yes it is light.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The burden that Jesus had to bear on the cross has nothing to do with what He has offered to those He chose to offer to take His yoke and burden.
Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

Upvote 0