Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
My son Jacob has been a blessing in my life. Never even one bad mark on his schools record. He earned a academic scholarship for collage and manages a store for me. He has endured a vicious divorce with my ex wife and myself. During this time new people have enter his life of sorts that are worldly. My ex wife approved of these people I do not. His new friends brag about sexual conquest and drinking. Jacob shows common sense by being the designated driver for their carnage. He was saved and baptized in a fundamental baptist church and also attended baptist school. Its difficult with my trying to teach him as my belief is in line with WOF. So speaking about the holy spirit and faith seems to be on deaf ears. I think he is rebellious of his legal teaching before. So were in between he thinks their stupid for things like men not allowed to ware shorts, and That I am one of those prosperity people in which I am but not what he's been taught we are. To make it worse one of his good new friends claimes to be a youth pastor! But if you read his face book you think a demon from hell was posting. What should I do I have been praying for him to be drawn by the spirit and for gods protection. Should I put it in gods hand and stop trying to impose my belief. If I condemned his friend he would push me aside in rebellion as if I was imposing legalism. Any input will be help full.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
i think i would send him to the book of Proverbs (maybe you could both read it and compare notes?) Also make some time to spend with him doing stuff that you both enjoy. the key thing is to keep the communication going between you and listen to what he's saying. keep the door open so that he knows he can come to you when he's ready.

encourage him in the things he does well, and tell him to keep his eyes open when he's around his new friends to observe what they do, but not to follow it. If he does this, sooner or later he will begin to see the down side of the fruit of how they live. if he can learn from other's experiences without having to go thru the heartbreak and pain associated with it, he will be better for it.

Upvote 0

pk4yahweh

Pressing in...
Jul 21, 2011
Connecticut
✟8,089.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Added to above... spend twice as much time on your knees for him. Prayer definitely works... but it does take time. Sort of like painting a house with invisible paint - you cant always see the immediate effects - but you know it is doing something.

Stand in the gap for your son.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much good advice from both. He has come to me seeking at times but I can't seem to get him to open up. He even has had tears but something holds him back. He is a adult so I feel diplomatic methods will keep him from lashing out and severing our bond. I pray continuous and I know god has protected him. It is a strong force against me I believe he may be called to preach later and this is why the battle is on. I have heard of big parties coming and god stepped in and shut them down. Failed plans sickness missed plane flights. Glory it is astounding to let god do it. I cannot get him to discuss the word of god. He is well versed and in times past he has taught me on subjects. Now he will not converse. The recent prayer request I posted for Kevin is a friend of his and last month one of his friends died. I believe he is under conviction but I may not be the one to lead him. Pray god sends the person who can get through to free Jacob from this battle. God bless you all

Upvote 0

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that God will have to do the changing, and I agree that you're responsibility is to pray for him. God knows what will catch his attention and what won't, and he'll let you know if there is any thing that you can/should do. Just pray that his heart will be softened and his eyes will be opened, and continually bind the devil and apply the blood of Jesus over his life. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get some others in on the prayer action as well!

Upvote 0

dustyf

Oct 12, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟15,224.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a son and daughter, both grown and moved away. They both were raised in church where they experienced the Lord, many times in a tangible and powerful way. From the time I learned their mother was pregnant I prayed for them, in WOF tradition. I took them to school every day of their lives and on the trip there and back I preached to them, they were my captives and I used the time as such. Both of them went their own ways. My son lives with his fiance and my daughter became pregnant three years ago out of wedlock, in her mid 20s. They KNOW I do not agree with their lifestyle.

I realized I had to let them make mistakes and they knew I had their backs, I was their covering. They KNOW this. When my daughter told us about the pregnancy I was very angry but I did not and have never let her know, she already knew. They are married now and doing well. Their son is the light of our lives.

I absolutely refused to allow anything to sever our relationship. I was and am determined to show them the love I know the Lord has for us all, it is unconditional. There are always consequences, this we all know, and I am willing to help them deal with those. Even in His absolute love for us He will do the same.

Please, do what you must but don't allow your relationship to be broken. The Lord will help you deal with this once you make the decision.

One more thing, I went through the divorce of my parents. It ripped my heart out and I was very angry for many years, even after they remarried. I didn't realize how much so until one day, while I was in my late 40s, I was telling my pastor about it and I began to cry. Don't assume your adult son understands anything about the situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you so much good advice from both. He has come to me seeking at times but I can't seem to get him to open up. He even has had tears but something holds him back. He is a adult so I feel diplomatic methods will keep him from lashing out and severing our bond. I pray continuous and I know god has protected him. It is a strong force against me I believe he may be called to preach later and this is why the battle is on. I have heard of big parties coming and god stepped in and shut them down. Failed plans sickness missed plane flights. Glory it is astounding to let god do it. I cannot get him to discuss the word of god. He is well versed and in times past he has taught me on subjects. Now he will not converse. The recent prayer request I posted for Kevin is a friend of his and last month one of his friends died. I believe he is under conviction but I may not be the one to lead him. Pray god sends the person who can get through to free Jacob from this battle. God bless you all

then turn the tables on him.
If there are things in your life that you need input on, go to him. lay it before him and see what he says. Remember that you've laid a foundation for him and in him. maybe he just needs to learn how to start using that foundation that is in him to deal with life's situations...taking it from head knowledge to heart knowledge.

all it takes is an opportunity to start, and what better place to start than with those you know and who know you best.
I always told my kids that if they were going to make mistakes in life (and i knew that they would) i would sooner that they made them while still close to home, so that we could deal with them together. Sure enough, we went thru some small things that could have been huge, and they learned from them.

Upvote 0

lindart

Jun 6, 2011
USA
✟10,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a son and daughter, both grown and moved away. They both were raised in church where they experienced the Lord, many times in a tangible and powerful way. From the time I learned their mother was pregnant I prayed for them, in WOF tradition. I took them to school every day of their lives and on the trip there and back I preached to them, they were my captives and I used the time as such. Both of them went their own ways. My son lives with his fiance and my daughter became pregnant three years ago out of wedlock, in her mid 20s. They KNOW I do not agree with their lifestyle.

I realized I had to let them make mistakes and they knew I had their backs, I was their covering. They KNOW this. When my daughter told us about the pregnancy I was very angry but I did not and have never let her know, she already knew. They are married now and doing well. Their son is the light of our lives.

I absolutely refused to allow anything to sever our relationship. I was and am determined to show them the love I know the Lord has for us all, it is unconditional. There are always consequences, this we all know, and I am willing to help them deal with those. Even in His absolute love for us He will do the same.

Please, do what you must but don't allow your relationship to be broken. The Lord will help you deal with this once you make the decision.

One more thing, I went through the divorce of my parents. It ripped my heart out and I was very angry for many years, even after they remarried. I didn't realize how much so until one day, while I was in my late 40s, I was telling my pastor about it and I began to cry. Don't assume your adult son understands anything about the situation.

You are indeed a wise father. Your children are so blessed to have you. We have been blessed by your transparency and your wonderful example to always maintain our relationship with our adult children even in the face of disappointment. It is a true expression of faith to allow God to do His work. God bless you!

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I read a prophetic word recently where God instructed a group to lay their families on the altar before Him. He said something like "They have become immune to your words". He didn't want them carrying a burden that would distract you from your own calling. You can always pray for them effectually and you should.

Other wisdom from other sources included speaking or decreeing that they would fulfill the plan of God for their lives. That they had the spirit of wisdom and understanding. When they turned to the left or to the right, that they heard a voice say, "This is the way, walk in it". That they walked in godly discernment and judgment.

"Light has not fellowship with darkness", or many other scriptures make excellent blessings to speak over your family. Of course, they do not need to be around. You can impart the anointing into objects, including clothing that they wear. Do it in faith!

Tell the enemy to take his hands off your family in Jesus' name!
Plead the blood of Jesus over your household and that you and your household with be saved.

Be careful what you say. Don't acknowledge their bad fruit. Obviously it is what it is. Keep decreeing blessings over them and loose angels to protect them. They are on a highly favored status before God based on your covenant walk with Him. The angels won't preach to them, but they can bring to their awareness that which was of the Spirit and the Word of God. Be resilient!

Love them unconditionally. I remember God told Norvel Hayes that his "pride" was wounded because he was a successful minister and his son walked in darkness. You can fight in ways that affect the very air that he breathes.

You can make a list of scriptures to speak over your family and yourself. The power of blessing is real. Prophesy over them that they will walk in the Spirit. Don't give in to disappointment if their are setbacks. You never know what God spared them and He can teach them in what the enemy meant for bad and love them right back into obedience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
What a blessing you all are! Not since my dad passed away in 92 have I had anyone for council this good. Soon I will ask about my daughter, god is holding my hand in this matter now. Jacob is at home on this payday night and we are talking more every day. God bless you all.

Upvote 0

Jn1010

ChWriter
Nov 23, 2011
✟15,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I presume that your son is now of legal age. If so, you no longer have authority over him. He is free so seek God or reject him. I can see from what you've written that he may be confused about the nature of God. So, I would urge him to seek the Lord for himself. He must choose the life he thinks is best.

However, if he visits your home, you do have the right to state what goes on there. If he brings his friends, who from what you say are not believers at all, you still have the right to state your beliefs.

Upvote 0