My marriage is in big trouble (crosspost)

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, part of me wants to say go do the married guy and have some fun for a change. You deserve it for putting up so long with a blob. And once two people have verbally expressed their interest in each other it's only a matter of time before they end up in bed. Been there/done that.

Why DID your husband marry you? Were you a trophy wife? He doesn't seem to want you as a real wife. In fact, I believe your marriage has been over for a long time but you won't admit it.

My ex sounded a lot like your husband. A person does not have to physically leave the house to abandon a marriage. Either he has deep resentments toward you or he thought he could do marriage but his schizoid tendencies made it all not work. The schizoid model described my ex too, look it up. But eventually this pseudo-marriage is going to throw you into the arms of another man. If you are called to be married it's probably inevitable as Paul says in I Corinth 7:1-6.

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He has let his appearance go to pot. He showers only a couple of times per week, does almost no personal grooming, doesn't clean his ears, get his hair cut, wash his clothes...anything. He sometimes stinks and he makes no effort to dress nicely or stylishly. His doctor told him his cholesterol is too high and so is his blood pressure. But he does nothing about it.

My uncle takes medicine for high blood pressure and says that it causes impotence. You say he does nothing for his blood pressure and cholesterol, but does that include not taking any medication? Cause if he is taking medication, that could completely explain his not wanting to have sex. He may not even be physically able to have normal sex. It's something to ask him about cause the doctor can help with those kinds of things, and he may be too ashamed to admit it outright to anyone.

Upvote 0

rppearso

Sep 8, 2006
Alaska
✟1,061.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You are probably not going to get the advice you are looking for here. Do what you think is right choose a path and dont look back.

Hi, everyone. I recently posted on this forum about a "crush" I was having on a man who is not my husband. And I'm working on getting that out of my system. But I think I posted that thread prematurely and should have begun with a thread that explains the issues I'm having in my marriage. So I want to start from the beginning.

I'm 34 and My husband is 46. We dated for a year and got married when I discovered I was pregnant. (Yes, I understand we shouldn't have been having premarital sex. We did our best to abstain and had sex only about 4 times prior to getting married. But things happen.)

I was crazy about him at the time, as he was about me. There were some issues and we attempted to resolve them through honest conversation and Christian marriage counseling, which took place prior to getting married and maybe 6 months into the marriage (maybe a total of 9 months or so). Our spiritual work wasn't finished but we lost our counselor and with a new baby, jobs, other things, etc. we decided to hold off on tryin to find a new counselor.

In our almost 5 years of marriage, we've had sex only a handful of times. Only twice in the past 3 years, and both of those events were done specifically to conceive our second child.

My husband pays absolutely no attention to me. He has never once called me during the day at work to say hi. He has never once told me I look nice (and I am very committed to keeping myself together and looking good. I am a former model who forces herself to go to the gym and do all the little things that keep men interested. And lots of men **are** interested in me...just not my husband.) He doesn't say hi to me or bye. He never tells me he likes the meals I cook (and I put a lot of effort into them so they are both tasty and nutritious). I try to make conversation and he has absolutely nothing to say to me. If he responds, it will be some generic, noncommittal comment like, "Oh, OK." He is usually civil to me but completely detached. He has never once initiated sex w/ me, though he knows I am very sexual and would like to have sex often. He has criticized me before for wanting to have sex and for talking flirtatiously or jovially to him. He never tries to cuddle or plan "dates" w/ me or hold my hand or flirt w/ me.

He has let his appearance go to pot. He showers only a couple of times per week, does almost no personal grooming, doesn't clean his ears, get his hair cut, wash his clothes...anything. He sometimes stinks and he makes no effort to dress nicely or stylishly. His doctor told him his cholesterol is too high and so is his blood pressure. But he does nothing about it.

When he and I first met, I told him I love to talk. My career is in the communications field and I am just a very inquisitive, chatty kind of person. And he makes zero effort to indulge me in this area. Every time I try to initiate conversation, he stops it dead. And even when we need to communicate about practical things (caring for the kids, paying bills, doing errands, etc.) he goes silent on me. This has resulted in all sorts of drama like missed appointments, misunderstandings, bills getting paid twice (or not at all), missed deadlines, etc.

Sometimes he behaves in a passive-aggressive manner and will "accidentally" forget to do important things or "conveniently" do the opposite of what we've agreed upon. I ask him for simple things (please call if you'll be more than an hour late) and he won't accommodate me at all. He continues to allow his sister to treat me disrespectfully and refuses to confront her about it.

I am at the end of my rope with him. I am so frustrated that lately, all I've been doing is screaming at him, hanging up on him and slamming doors when I see him. I have lost all of my physical/sexual attraction toward him and I no longer even feel close to him emotionally or as a friend. I've tried many times to address these issues w/ him but he is very passive (or passive-aggressive) and makes no effort. Or he says we are too busy...no time. Or he blames me. Or ignores me. We've been sleeping in separate bedrooms for a few months now.

I recently developed a crush on another man (who is married). He is interested in me, too. But we are both choosing to honor our marriage vows and not pursue the attraction. I do not want to cheat on my husband and I'm afraid to divorce him (I need his support, financially and with the children, household, etc.). But I am terribly frustrated, lonely, angry and grossed out. I don't know what to do. No, I don't think he is having an affair. Nor do I think he is gay. I think he is just very emotionally lazy and aloof, and this arrangement we have is easier for him to deal with than actually trying to fix the problems we have.

A few nights ago (out of nowhere, at the suggestion of a friend), I got all fixed up, put on some lingerie and asked him if he wanted to have sex...and he said he was too tired and too busy and why should he start something he wouldn't be able to finish. (I have no idea what that means.) It's been several days and he hasn't brought it up or tried to cash in a rain check.

After this last rejection, I told him I wanted him to move out. And he just blew me off as usual...and told me to stop being so difficult.

Please help me! I am really fed up.

Upvote 0

dariya

May 27, 2009
Skopje, Macedonia
✟7,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Real love is in the marriage, not before that.......But where is the love here???

But, is this marriage for right reasons? Both of you are good people, but different and you got married with different perception for marriage and love..That is clear...and both of you had personal problems from beginning.....personal ....

You had your problems , he had big problems with him self...
The god news is that you wont to change yourself, to be happy, he doesn't....That is call from God.... Difficult marriage is wake up call for YOU.
Do you now how to be happy? Do you now what do you wont from life? You can be happy, no matter of your partner, no matter you are staying in marriage or divorce....
Ask your self and ask God WHY you got married this man??? WHY? Be hones with you....you will have answer , and then God will bring to you right people to start dealing with your problems and life......To deal with your self is hurtful but is beautiful....You will now how you are, no depression and you will discover that you are beautiful women worth for love and respect.
Other man is not option for now, that is not love, you need attention...But you need attention from God.

Your marriage is similar like mine....just we don't have kids and we are married 10 months only!

I had same problem with my husband....no interest for sex from the beginning, no interest for me like person...nothinh...I started to ask question and how to resolve problems....We are in the marriage from last year...
First, how is his relationship with his mother? Is his father passive figure? Probably he didn't had god model, example how to be a man...He knows that, and he is afraid to admit...

Second, usually that kind of man they look women in two ways: Saints and h....s (the opposite).... He "make love" with you to have children (and only for that) , but he is not interested for sex, with you (you are the saint or mother figure) .....He is capable for sex or he fantasies for sex with h...s..... Probably that is the problem, because he is not interested in you like women, real women!!!!!
Check his Internet history, does he doing something that you don't know? Think about what he wants the in bed? And you will know the answer on his sexual problems...He is HIDING something from you......in this situation his problem with women.
But he doesn't know how to deal with his family (you) and how to be a man....

That was mine problem...We got married last year, but in the bed nothing!!!! I discover that he wont's striptease bars and he likes to go there, with me nothing...( I'm good looking women)....
Also his mama was controlling, difficult and DOMINATE women...He didn't had good model for women. His father is passive.
I had LOTS of problem with them, specially with his mother, loots of problems with husband (similar like yours)...
At first I start to blame him, his family... I was emotionally and mentally abused from everybody in that family....
But one day I realized that I must cnange.....
I start fasting and asking God why I got married him? Why all this happen to me?

And he start to give me answers about me...I got depression to....I didn't know how to be happy all my life and God put me in really difficult situation to start change my self and to learn right meaning of happiness and God's love...

The real answer in your marriage is you....
First stop blame him ....Start to fast and seek God for answers.....
Second find god psychologist and go, just you.....
And you will now, you will start to cnange.And your husband will realize that !!!!!
And then, when he will realized that you are happy person ....he will have two solutions: To start change or he will live you... ( to be brave of coward, to live in happiens or unhappy)
Everything is in God hands, and don't think that for this you need years......
I start fasting 40 days and indeed God is BIG !!!!!

First make decision with God: That you wont to be happy....

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a guy very similar to your husband in a lot of ways...

I can tell you from his perspective that you are your own worst enemy in this situation. (I know...not what you want to hear)

I recognize so many of the issues (and there are a number of them that you both unknowingly contribute to) and I wonder if reconciliation is what you really want.

Here is the deal:
Questions to ask yourself.

What price are you willing to pay to have a successful marriage? (money is too cheap and not a cost associated)
Some of the things about him will never change but some can and will would you still want him as a spouse?
Are the children going to be in worse shape or better emotional shape if you divorced?

Upvote 0

myanchor

Mar 10, 2009
✟16,217.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Definitely get him a good physical workup with testoterone and estrogen levels, thyroid, and so on. Get him to a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a person who specializes in diseases of the brain chemistry. If it ain't body physical or brain physical then it is spiritual. A good male Christian psychologist will help there. Don't depend on pastoral counseling so much, they really aren't trained for that.

Upvote 0

MLEN

Aug 4, 2009
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I had flashbacks as I remembered that my relationship with my husband was similar. Even after two children I turned the heads of other men, but my own was quite oblivious to my deepest needs for intimacy and affection. I did almost everything to get him to notice me - to no avail. I prayed, cried, agonzied over the last 7 years about what to do about our relationship.

Then at the end of last month I met someone (in a Christian setting) who is having issues with his spouse too. I quickly formed a crush on him and he hinted at enjoying my company as well. We both knew where this could head really quickly. So I had a conscious choice to make, and fast: Yes I was frustrated with my relationship with my husband but I decided to be like Joseph and flee. I decided that to honor God was more important in the end. Although I enjoyed the positive feedback I was receiving from the other guy, I knew that our relationship was bad enough already and that I'd only make it worse by falling into Satan's temptations if I even remotely entertained the idea of this other person.

So when he gave me his cell phone number on a copy of church literature, the first chance I could I threw it away and never spoke with him again. I told my husband about the brief crush, how I walked away from it by God's grace, and how I needed him to do his part to "protect" our marriage through his love and affection. I honestly thought that he wouldn't care either way like in times past. But he surprised me when he started to woo me all over again. There has been a revival in our marriage in every area, and I believe it is because God and my husband honored my choice to walk away from marital sin.

So I strongly encourage you that no matter what the outcome in the end - make a firm decision today not to sin against your God who has given you such great salvation. God will bless you for this in ways unimaginable!

Upvote 0
H

Hosannainthehighest

You need to cut all ties immediately with this other married man.
For one - you have no business hanging around with another woman's man!
and two - while he's the band aid on your emotional wound you are not going to think clearly about your own situation...its almost like this other guys attention is like a small pain relief from your own reality.
With the other guy out of the picture, you can then see clearly what's going on around you and hopefully what step to take next, also your next step may be more drastic and clear if you don't have the softening of another guy to fall back on.
That is only confusing the situation. It's totally not the answer.

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

You need to cut all ties immediately with this other married man.
For one - you have no business hanging around with another woman's man!
and two - while he's the band aid on your emotional wound you are not going to think clearly about your own situation...its almost like this other guys attention is like a small pain relief from your own reality.
With the other guy out of the picture, you can then see clearly what's going on around you and hopefully what step to take next, also your next step may be more drastic and clear if you don't have the softening of another guy to fall back on.
That is only confusing the situation. It's totally not the answer.

Good points! This isn't all about you. Being the home wrecker in someone else's marriage is an entirely separate issue from your marriage issues. Seek God, ask Him to help you receive the love and attention you lack from him, and to bring support your way, likely through other women. Continue to lift up your husband in prayer, but don't fall for the enemy's lies. They won't satisfy, but only bring more hurt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dontbelong4

Jul 31, 2009
✟15,113.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Your husband is the only one who can answer what is bothering him. Based on what you have briefly described, it sounds like depression. Something along the lines that would require professional help. But unless he is willing to submit to counselling, and more important the will of God, prayer is your only tool.

Upvote 0

myanchor

Mar 10, 2009
✟16,217.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sort of funny story about the effects of medicine on men. During a period of great stress, I needed some blood pressure medicine. It was propanol, which is an isomer of isopropyl alcohol. Propanol is the proper chemical name, but it is marketed as Inderal. It is a very effective medicine as I found out one time when the capsule came apart on me before I could get some water, so I crunched the tiny pellets in the capsule. Well, my BP dropped so severely I nearly passed out. The doc read me the riot act about doing that as if I couldn't figure it out.

Anyway it is used as a last resort medicine now, particularly in black men when nothing else works for them.

Unfortunately there is the side effect for most men with it. I call it the limp noodle effect. So if your man is taking it, or supposed to be, he may not take it well enough to control his BP and still have a happy physical relationship. It can also cause depression both as a primary effect and the psychological, "I'm not a real man anymore"

Upvote 0

EmmyGV

Oct 23, 2009
✟7,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It seems like your husband shows strong signs of being depressed.

So sorry what you're going through. :hug:

Upvote 0