Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With the subject of the Catholic Church and gays much in the news, I am thinking a lot about my father-in-law Dennis, who came out as gay and left the Catholic Church in 1971.

As my wife Jennifer grew up, her relationship with her dad was rocky. They saw each other rarely because she lived on the West Coast, and he lived on the East Coast. When they did get together, sparks often flew. He would snap at her if she said or did anything that contradicted his own perspective.

But prickly personalities and religious differences need not destroy the love of a family. Jennifer took “Honor Thy Father” not as a suggestion but as a commandment. So, she made enormous efforts to cultivate a good relationship with him.

But every time Jen spoke with him on the phone, her face was braced for trouble, her voice was tensed up, and her every word was picked with the deliberation of a diplomat. Since he lived in New York and we lived in Los Angeles, we didn’t see him often.

However, that changed when we moved for a fellowship year to Princeton. We would travel to New York City every three weeks or so to visit with him and his legal husband Claudio. We kept it light and focused on common interests. We never talked about religion unless they brought it up. We knew where they stood, and they knew where we stood. As the year went on, Dennis became more and more ill. It became clear that death would visit him soon.

So, on our final visit to New York City, we all knew that this would be the last time that we would ever see each other. Jen and I were heading back from Princeton to Los Angeles, and Dennis was moving from New York City to Claudio’s home country of Uruguay. They gave us a few mementos to pack in our car, and they walked us out to the sidewalk to see us off.

Continued below.

• Friendly
Reactions: ralliann

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's wonderful that they could navigate still having a relationship, even though they all disagreed with each other. That's increasingly rare in today's world. My husband and I have been cut off, along with my in-laws, by his sister and her family. We've never said squat about their lifestyle, but they know what our faith teaches, so have decided to cut us out.

It's also wonderful to hear about people who are blessed to have death bed conversions, as it were. It's so important to keep our loved ones in our prayers. It also highlights the importance of prayers for the sick and dying.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It's wonderful that they could navigate still having a relationship, even though they all disagreed with each other. That's increasingly rare in today's world. My husband and I have been cut off, along with my in-laws, by his sister and her family. We've never said squat about their lifestyle, but they know what our faith teaches, so have decided to cut us out.

It's also wonderful to hear about people who are blessed to have death bed conversions, as it were. It's so important to keep our loved ones in our prayers. It also highlights the importance of prayers for the sick and dying.
Prayers for your family.

Upvote 0