Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟143,395.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do we need evidence for that? Not really because a story does not have to be true to be significant.

Did you really just say that it actually doesn't matter if the bible is correct or not?

What about Noah 4300 years ago? Was Noah a real person, did the flood really take place? I say it does, but it does not matter because it is 4300 years later and we are still telling the story of Noah and all of his animals on the Ark. Because the story rings true in the collective consciousness of every man, women and child that has ever lived from every tongue, nation, tribe and people. This is a story that has mass appeal in the collective consciousness of all people.

Indeed, it seems that that is exactly what you are saying.
Well, in that case, there is nothing left to talk about. If you are flat out admitting that you don't care wheter or not these stories are actually true, and you are simply content in believing them anyway, then....yea....

So IF the story is true or not does absolutely NOTHING to diminish the power of the story. You simply do not have a better story. Evolution has come up with some good stores and evolution has survived for over 100 years now. But evolution has a long way to go because Moses and the stories he told have lasted for 3500 years now and those stories continue to be told and they go from generation to generation.

The difference is, off course, that scientific theories are actually helpfull. They actually contribute to knowledge and practical applications. They actually have explanatory power.

Scripture-story-beliefs won't help you in flying a spaceship to the moon. In some cases though, it will only help you flying a plane into a building. While both the plane and the building exist thanks to science.

Nothing is going to stop that. The stories will continue to be told and you can react anyway you want to react. You can receive that story any way you want to receive that story. But in the end nothing is going to stop the Bible and Bible stories from going from generation to generation.

I'm sure Vikings once felt the same way about Thor and Whalhala.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you really just say that it actually doesn't matter if the bible is correct or not?
What I have said is that if YOU reject the truth then you still have to deal with the Archetypes that we find in the Bible and you have failed to address this issue.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure Vikings once felt the same way about Thor and Whalhala.
I am a descendant of the Vikings and what happened in the year 800 is that the Vikings were offered some land by France IF they gave up their Pagan beliefs and converted to Christianity. That is exactly what they did. So if the Vikings could find the truth over 1200 years ago then what is the excuse of scoffers, skeptics and infidels today who stumble around today and can not seem to find the truth? They reject a time honored tradition going back to our fathers at the beginning of recorded history and what do they get in return after having given everything? Nothing really a big fat zero. The Bible is what civilization is based on. Without the Bible you have terrorism, death, destruction and ruin. Look at the condition of the world today. We have not had a world like this sense WW2.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟143,395.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What I have said is that if YOU reject the truth then you still have to deal with the Archetypes that we find in the Bible and you have failed to address this issue.

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not seeing what issue(s) you are talking about....

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟143,395.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am a descendant of the Vikings and what happened in the year 800 is that the Vikings were offered some land by France IF they gave up their Pagan beliefs and converted to Christianity. That is exactly what they did. So if the Vikings could find the truth over 1200 years ago then what is the excuse of scoffers, skeptics and infidels today who stumble around today and can not seem to find the truth?

"find truth"???

Being opportunistic in professing a belief in order to gain land is "finding truth" now?

The Bible is what civilization is based on.

Every non-christian civilisation in history disagrees.

Also, the secular country I live in, is not based on anything biblical, but on secular concepts.

We might have a judeo-christian culture, but that's an entirely different aspect. That's historical baggage and tradition. Everyone has a past. Civilisations are no different.

Without the Bible you have terrorism, death, destruction and ruin.

That's completely ridiculous. Not to mention demonstrably wrong.

Take something as simple as the US as compared to the rest of the western secular world.

The US is BY FAR the most religious western country. Christianity still plays a very big role in both private and public life in the US, as opposed to other western secular nations.

Yet, the US is also the leader in violence, crime rates, etc.
"home terrorism" is a FAR bigger problem in the US then "foreign terrorism".

It's quite ironic really... some time ago, the US issued a "warning" to its citizens to be extra carefull when visiting places like Istanbul and even avoid it if possible because of the apparantly big "threat" of becoming victims of violence by terrorists.

The ironic part was that merely living in Chicago exposes you to many, many times the risque of getting shot or otherwise being a victim of a violent act.

See, when we look at the actual world, we see the exact opposite of what you claim. Countries with higher religiosity have HIGHER rates of crime, violence, death, etc as opposed to secular democracies with lower religiosity levels.

Look at the condition of the world today.

Indeed, let's. You may start by explaining why crime rates and general violence is so out of proportion high in the US as opposed to all other secular western nations.

We have not had a world like this sense WW2.

A world like what, exactly?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The Bible is what civilization is based on.
...what?
They reject a time honored tradition going back to our fathers at the beginning of recorded history and what do they get in return after having given everything?
Wait what?
Only nonsense to those who are perishing and those who deny the Precious Blood of Jesus.
Is that what you told your high school teachers when they pointed out the flaws in your arguments?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What truth?
The truth that we find in the Bible going back to Moses 3500 years ago. Each and every person has to discover the truth in the Bible for themselves. You can not blame me or anyone because you are responsible to discover truth for yourself.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that what you told your high school teachers when they pointed out the flaws in your arguments?
I am not the subject of the conversation and personal attacks are always against the forum rules.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The truth that we find in the Bible going back to Moses 3500 years ago. Each and every person has to discover the truth in the Bible for themselves. You can not blame me or anyone because you are responsible to discover truth for yourself.

Claim not truth.

That will remain reality, no matter how many times you repeat yourself.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The theory of neo‐Darwinian evolution cannot rationally be doubted by any educated person. - Francis Colins
As soon as you use the term neo-Darwinian evolution you are admitting that Darwin somehow got it wrong and a creationist has to fix it for him. They wanted to use the term post neo-Darwinism but that was just to much of an embarrassment for evolutionists. So they just continue to come up with a new theories and call the new theory by the old name.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As soon as you use the term neo-Darwinian evolution you are admitting that Darwin somehow got it wrong and a creationist has to fix it for him. They wanted to use the term post neo-Darwinism but that was just to much of an embarrassment for evolutionists. So they just continue to come up with a new theories and call the new theory by the old name.
Darwin didn't "get it wrong". Subsequent scientists have improved the accuracy of his theory, which is how science works. No creationists required.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I thought you claimed to know science?

New evidence, will alter older theories and improve them.

Even collins has been quoted, how amazed darwin would be today, in regards to how dna has supported his basic theory and he didnt even know dna existed.

You gotta love evidence.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Claim not truth.
The Bible represents the truth. My claim would be my understanding or interpretation of the Bible. For example the Bible says: "you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Now it is up to you to understand what that means. If I say: People are in bondage because they do not know the truth, then that is my understanding and my interpretation of what the Bible is saying. Jesus tells us that: "Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin." Now we see what the Bible teaches that people that commits sin are in bondage or a slave of sin. Just like the Bible says that: "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender." I can tell people that they do not have to be a slave that they can be set free from their bondage. This only shows them what is available for them. They still need to find that freedom for themselves. I can not pay the price of redemption for them. Only Jesus is able to redeem them. Only He is the one that can pay the price of redemption.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Darwin didn't "get it wrong". Subsequent scientists have improved the accuracy of his theory, which is how science works. No creationists required.
Ok, have it your way. Darwin was lazy and did not work his theory all the way though. But he was sick and maybe he did not feel good that day.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Bible represents the truth. My claim would be my understanding or interpretation of the Bible. For example the Bible says: "you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Now it is up to you to understand what that means. If I say: People are in bondage because they do not know the truth, then that is my understanding and my interpretation of what the Bible is saying. Jesus tells us that: "Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin." Now we see what the Bible teaches that people that commits sin are in bondage or a slave of sin. Just like the Bible says that: "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender." I can tell people that they do not have to be a slave that they can be set free from their bondage. This only shows them what is available for them. They still need to find that freedom for themselves. I can not pay the price of redemption for them. Only Jesus is able to redeem them. Only He is the one that can pay the price of redemption.

Nope.

You have never supported this claim.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, have it your way. Darwin was lazy and did not work his theory all the way though. But he was sick and maybe he did not feel good that day.

You do reveal yourself quite well in your posts.

Upvote 0