• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My discovery regarding the "Unpardonable Sin"

Luke_Kep

Oct 13, 2008
✟7,640.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My name is Luke and I am an Orthodox Chrisitan. I have struggled with OCD/scrupulosity for several years now and have recently battled fears concerning the "unpardonable sin". However, in my struggle, something miraculous was revealed to me. I spent the following months putting my discovery into words.

I would like to stress that what I have discovered is not new. When I was suffering from these OCD fears, I found that Baptist Minister Billy Graham was the first to find the "key" passages in scripture that unlock this understanding about the blasphemy. I pray you find it enlightening.

Re-read the account of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit recorded in the Gospel of Matthew or Mark. On the surface, it seems that the Lord Jesus is creating an arbitrary law (Mat 12:32). If the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are completely and eternally equal, why would blasphemy against the Son be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit remain unforgiven?

Being completely logical and wise, the Lord does not create arbitrary laws. However, the concept of an unforgivable sin seems to contradict scripture, as we are told explicitly that every sin can be forgiven (1 John 1:5-9):

(5) This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
(6) If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
(7) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
(8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
(9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

All scripture is inspired by the logical and flawless Holy Spirit and so there can be no contradiction. The secret to understanding the truth about the unforgivable sin lies in the First Epistle of Saint John (1 John 6:6-13). In this blessed piece of writing, Saint John states:

(6) This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
(7) For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
(8) And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
(9) If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
(10) He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
(11) And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
(12) He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
(13) These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Saint John explicitly states that one of the Holy Spirit's roles is to “bear witness” to the Lord Jesus; that he is the Christ and Son of God. He goes on to say that anyone accepting the witness (i.e. believing in the Lord Jesus) has life and those who contradict this witness “hath not life”. This echoes the words the Lord Jesus spoke at the beginning of his discourse in Matthew when he said:

He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad (Mat 12:30).

It is commonly believed that because the Pharisees did blaspheme a miracle performed by the Lord Jesus, they did blaspheme the Holy Spirit. This is incorrect. They are guilty of blaspheming the Holy Spirit because they so incorrectly said that the Lord Jesus has a devil. Their witness of the Son of God was not the true witness given by the Holy Spirit.
The horribly incorrect words of the Pharisees are what prompted the Lord to then say:

And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come (Mat 12:32).

Pay close attention to the words the Lord Jesus uses. He does not say “Whosoever blasphemes the name of the Holy Spirit”. He says “Whosoever speaks a word against the Holy Spirit”. This implies that the Holy Spirit stands for something and whoever would rebel against that is blaspheming.

The Pharisees are guilty of denying the person of the Son of God, mankind’s saviour. Through their own horrible testimony, they are denying that Jesus is the Christ, instead calling him some demon-possessed man. They are blaspheming the truth, the truth that is held by the eternal witness, the Holy Spirit. And that truth is that Jesus is the Christ, the eternal Son of God.

And so, when we read the discourse again, we see that whosoever speaks a word against he Son of Man can be forgiven, but whosoever speaks a word against the Holy Spirit i.e. whosoever denies that Jesus is the Christ (as the Pharisees did), will not be forgiven.

The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit can be summarised as simply “calling the Holy Spirit a liar”. Why is it so bad to call the Holy Spirit a liar? Because He was present at the baptism of our Lord (the water), at his death (the blood) and bears an eternal record that the Son of God has indeed come and will forever be mankind’s saviour. To deny this fact, as the Pharisees did, means their fates have been sealed. I will say it again, why is it so bad to call the Holy Spirit a liar? Because:

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved (Acts 4:12).

Incidentally, the entire discourse in the Gospel of Saint Matthew can be summarised by the following verse from the Gospel of Saint John (John 3:18):

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Proof in the Book of Acts:

The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit does not make an appearance in the Old Testament. This makes sense, as the blasphemy relates exclusively to the Son of God, and so it is no surprise that we find it first and foremost in the New Testament. However, is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit limited to only that one occurrence in the Gospel of Saint Matthew and Saint Mark? The Book of Acts records something very interesting. Saint Stephen is preaching the Gospel of Jesus in the Synagogue and explicitly says to the unbelieving Pharisees (Acts 7:51):

Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

We know that these Pharisees were denying the person of Jesus Christ, so why would Saint Stephan exhort them regarding the Holy Spirit? Simple; he was pleading with the Pharisees to stop resisting what the Holy Spirit witnesses to be true. He was exhorting them to believe in the Son of God.
The only unfailing road to perdition is when one falls away from the faith, i.e. when an individual fails to believe in the Christ. Apostasy is the only way an individual can be deemed “unforgiven”. However, they are not, nor can they ever be deemed “unforgivable”. No matter the magnitude or number, the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ washes away all sin.

I pray this has helped ease your fears. To lead us into ignorance is a snare of the devil. Do not be fooled. The Lord Jesus Christ and incarnate Son of God forgives all sin. God bless.

Jeshurun30

Mar 9, 2009
Columbus, Ohio, USA
✟7,658.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus is the key. The Holy Spirit's job is magnify Jesus. Bible says that. The Comforter came to earth to reminid us of his ways and lift His name in the earth, to convict of sin, righteousness, and judgment. He magnifies Christ. Jesus said, if you have seen Me, you have seen the Father. He also said, I will send you ANOTHER Comforter (or Helper), I WILL NOT LEAVE YOU ORPHANS. Therefore, the Holy Spirit is the same as Jesus. If we see Jesus and His name as so loving that He would never hurt anyone, always forgive everyone, even the Pharisees had they repented (I believe because of John 8:48-49, Jesus said, if anyone keeps my Word he shall never see death - He offered Himself to the same Pharisees who said He had a demon...it was just up to them to humble themselves and accept Him as Christ), they would have gone to heaven. Anyway, what we need is UNDERSTANDING. This has less to do with knowledge than the abscence of fear of our God. We fear God because He is mighty, but when we trust Him, that is called UNDERSTANDING. Solomon said to get wisdom, but in getting wisdom get understanding. So remaining in God's word and asking him for wisdom and undertanding, will bring us to the place where perfect love casts out fear. If we live holy, He will make sure we have no fear of Him, except to keep us in line. The more we obey Him, the less we have to fear Him. So try hard!

God bless you guys.

Matthew Downey

Upvote 0

JohnnieGuy

Jun 27, 2009
✟15,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was worried I committed apostasy because I definitely fell away from the practicing Christian life into sin, and I even rebelliously sinned in some ways, but I always knew Jesus was the Christ and always believed it with my heart and I always felt bad about my lifestyle and wished I could live more upright Christian life. I still believe Jesus is the Son of God and the Christ and that He alone can forgive sins. I have been struggling with my insides lately because I don't feel forgiven, but I think you just have to believe what God says.

Also, I am terrified of God, yet at the same time I love Him and the more I read my bible and the more I pray the more I see His will is so beautiful, it's not grievous. It's kind of odd, I just wish that terrified feeling I get inside sometimes would go away, because I feel condemned and that's where all the apostasy/unpardonable sin stuff comes into play.

I feel sometimes like I betrayed Jesus, but the thing about the unpardonable sin is that people who have committed it deny the faith, and never come back, and have no repentance, whereas most people who are worried about it haven't committed it because by their worrying they are showing repentance and fear of God/reverence.

When it says it's impossible for these people to repent God is saying not that He won't let them repent if they really want to, but that He knows they never will.

Upvote 0

HoneyComb Son

Veteran
Jan 27, 2004
✟2,902.00
Faith
Christian
what about those people who have said things against The Holy Spirit? are they lost?....

I know I have OCD...i have struggled for years..along time ago.i struggled imensly with the unpardonable sin issue..stressed obesssed daily about it..for years..

the last few years of this life..I have been through alot of emotional trauma..Ive fallen away..so to speak..gotten angry..changed into a person you probably not think is Christian..

ive said things...actually said things during this time..against The Spirit.why? only God knows why..and Im a born again Christian...

the things I say.I could not tell you of...but they are directed to hurt..and i know alot of it is demonically inspired..

why am i telling this? because I have too...Ive said things..over and over...and alot of me meant them...

Upvote 0

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HoneyCombSon,

I see you reaching out and questioning and hoping you have hope
I feel sad that ocd has caused you such pain as well as all the trauma.
Jesus feels sad too that you are hurting and scared and traumatized by so much.
Jesus cares for you and always will.
We cannot understand this because of our humanness and hurts.
The fear of being forsaken by Jesus can cause severe pain and confusion.
But Jesus said He will Never leave us or forsake us.

the last few years of this life..I have been through alot of emotional trauma

Many different people have different ideas about what unforgivable means of the unforgivable sin and what it is.

But It does not apply to anyone who comes to Jesus.

We do not have to know what it is .

We just have to come to Jesus.

Jesus said , he that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out.

Jesus is Truth

Heaven and earth may pass away but Jesus Words will never pass away

and Jesus said the scripture cannot be broken

So all we need to know is that if we come to Jesus we will in no wise be cast out.

when we come to Jesus the unforgivable sin cannot possibly apply to us and we do not have to know what it is.

This scripture is very clear and understandable.

Jesus said he that come to Me I will in no wise cast out.

We can understand this verse very easy

Jesus is Truth.

Jesus said all that the Father gives to Me will come to Me and he that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out.

If we were not given to Jesus by Father God we would not come to Jesus.

When we come to Jesus it is because we are given to Jesus by Father God and we will never be cast out.

Jesus knows how to protect His sheep.

blessings
annrobert

Upvote 0

Enahs4Him

Covered by the Blood of Jesus Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2011
U.S.
✟95,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was worried I committed apostasy because I definitely fell away from the practicing Christian life into sin, and I even rebelliously sinned in some ways, but I always knew Jesus was the Christ and always believed it with my heart and I always felt bad about my lifestyle and wished I could live more upright Christian life. I still believe Jesus is the Son of God and the Christ and that He alone can forgive sins. I have been struggling with my insides lately because I don't feel forgiven, but I think you just have to believe what God says.

Also, I am terrified of God, yet at the same time I love Him and the more I read my bible and the more I pray the more I see His will is so beautiful, it's not grievous. It's kind of odd, I just wish that terrified feeling I get inside sometimes would go away, because I feel condemned and that's where all the apostasy/unpardonable sin stuff comes into play.

I feel sometimes like I betrayed Jesus, but the thing about the unpardonable sin is that people who have committed it deny the faith, and never come back, and have no repentance, whereas most people who are worried about it haven't committed it because by their worrying they are showing repentance and fear of God/reverence.

When it says it's impossible for these people to repent God is saying not that He won't let them repent if they really want to, but that He knows they never will.
You are forgiven, if you truly repented and turned to Jesus. You may not always "feel" saved, but you still are. We walk by faith and not by feelings. Hang in there. If God had "given up" on you, you would not be concerned at all about being forgiven or Jesus. But the very fact that you are concerned about your sins and want to be forgiven, shows that God(through the Holy Spirit) is still working in your life!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums