Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We would like to share an excerpt from Sophia Institute Press entitled “My Days with Benedict XVI”by guest writer Monsignor Alfred Xueres.

I would like to speak briefly how the book was born: from the very first day I arrived at the Pontifical Apartment, full of emotion, Pope Benedict showed me his paternal style with which he made me feel welcomed in my new role and in the “pontifical family”. He took interest in me as a person, and in my cultural and native roots. He asked questions about my studies, my seminary training, as well as my family. He also wanted to learn about some traits of Maltese traditions, and, in particular, those related to the Christmas and Easter seasons. I remember that he was very intrigued when I told him that on Christmas night the children of the catechism classes parade in procession with the statue of Baby Jesus singing and creating an atmosphere of jubilation. This tradition was initiated by the Maltese priest Saint George Preca, and it still arouses heartfelt devotion to the mystery of the Incarnation of the Divine Word. I also told him about the boy’s sermon, learnt by heart and recited in our churches before the start of Midnight Mass. I recounted to him about many other religious and cultural traditions, and he listened with pleasure.

On his part, he loved to speak about his childhood in Bavaria back to the time he was in kindergarten, with the fascinating story of the visit of St. Nicholas to their class; anecdotes about his family, including his parents with their simple outlook to life, his brother Georg, also a priest, with whom he had a very special bond, his sister Maria who looked after him in Rome in the first years of his service as Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and who, suddenly passed away after a tiring journey to Bavaria in order to honor their parents’ grave on the remembrance of all the faithful departed. From his stories, one could perceive the great mutual affection in which he grew up, and the joy occasioned by the small musical concerts organized at home by the Ratzinger brothers every Christmas. He also spoke openly of the years of his teaching in the various universities in Germany, and of the start of his academic career. One time he recounted to me the day when, going to the tailor to have his suit made and to buy a professor’s hat, he was mistaken for a pupil, due to his young age, and refused, leaving the shop, disheartened but without any complaint from him. There were many anecdotes concerning his close family friends in Germany, of which he kept happy memories and which he loved to revive with us in moments of intimacy.

Over lunch, he willingly shared some details of the morning’s meetings during the audiences, and he showed admiration towards those bishops facing many challenges due to local conflicts and poverty.

Continued below.