Not open for further replies.

Smithgirl

Nov 12, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟7,649.00
Faith
Protestant
My cat, Stephen, has the same problem only he has been nutered for over 3 years now. He actually did not start spraying around the house until 2 years after his surgery! I have tried everything including a trip to the vet. The only thing I can suggest is that there is a chance it could be a urinary tract infection. Males get this very easily since they have a longer tract. I put my cat on special dry food called Purina One that is suppossed to be good for urinary tract health. I'm still hoping for the best...though my father-in-law says it's just what some male cats do. I wish you the best for your situation. Hope this helps some...if even to let you know that you are not alone.

Reactions: Tresora
Upvote 0

Dagna

Heathen
Nov 14, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟15,910.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It could take a while for the spraying behavior to stop. How old was he when he was neutered? Most male cats that are neutered late in life often continue with the spraying simply out of habit. Like Smithgirl said, it could also be a Urinary Tract Infection. I would see a vet just in case as UTI can be fatal in male cats if not treated.

Upvote 0

happy-cat

Nov 11, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟15,132.00
Faith
Christian
If it is just a behavior problem and your cat does not have a UTI then one thing you can do is to sprinkle red pepper everywhere he has sprayed. A cat will go back to the places where he has sprayed and smell it before he sprays again. If he gets a good wiff of the red pepper it will discourage him. I know this sounds mean, but it worked for my cats!
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Higgaion

Big-Nosed Pengy
Oct 11, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟430.00
Faith
Protestant
Upvote 0
I had problems with my cat once. He was male and wasn't neutered. He sprayed all over the place. No matter how much I cleaned and used the rug doctor on the carpeting, I still couldn't get that smell out of the rug. It is still in it today and I think that I have cleaned it about 5 times in one year. He was such a lovable cat too. :-( I had to end up giving him away because he never stopped.

But now I am blessed with 2 good kitty's. They are lovable. I heard too that if you neuter a male cat too early that he is likely to spray as well. Not sure or not. My current cat Sylvester is almost 6 months old. Do any of you think that is an ok age to get him fixed?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mtuck

Nov 21, 2003
Palm City, Florida
Visit site
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
One of my cats does this, but it's a female. The odd thing is I have two cats, both females, and they're siblings. Only the one does this. I have no idea how to stop her. I was told to get a water piistol and zap her when I see her doing this, but I never catch her in the act. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

mtucker

Grand Poo-Bah
Jul 2, 2002
Boca Raton, FL, USA
Visit site
✟7,684.00
Faith
Christian
Hi folks. I'm mtuck. I found my original account's password, so I'll be on this one henceforth.

Update: I was given what seems so far to be fantastic advice. I was told to get a spray bottle full of Amonia and spray all the areas my cat has been peeing (after thouroughly cleaning them first, of course). The idea is, my cat will be repelled by the strong, non-pee smell and will not be tempted to revisit the same area. So far, I think it's working. I'll keep you all undated.

Upvote 0

LadyBird

Dance Me to the End of Love
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another thing our Vet told us was that cats usually spray to mark their territory. Perhaps the previous owners of your house had (a) cat(s) that sprayed all over the house and thus now your cat is remarking the territory? Try getting some cat repellant. We have two, 4 month old kittens and they claw the heck out of our furniture so my mom got some cat repellant and sprayed it all over the furniture. Cat repellant is also good for discouraging them from spraying on furniture. Also, my mom got some sort of special cat cleaner that permanently removes the scent of urine and cat spray from furniture so that the cats will be discouraged from spraying on the furniture.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.