My Adult Children Didn't Believe Me": 26 Normal Practices And Routines From The Past That Have Gen Z'ers Confused, Perplexed, And Puzzled

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A fun article. I was not sure where to put it. Although I have no children, I got a kick out of reading this.
—————————————-

I am not that old, but one time, I was telling my younger cousins about how Netflix used to be a mailing service, and they were absolutely gobsmacked. I myself was kinda shocked, too, because I'd just assumed that was common knowledge. (Wait 'til I tell them about the mythical world of Blockbuster.) So, when redditor u/MrDNLasked the people of r/AskOldPeople to share the "common knowledge" things from their time that younger generations might have a hard time believing, I was all in. Here are some of the responses that will either make you feel totally nostalgic or completely puzzled:

1."When the internet first came out, you couldn't talk on the phone and be online at the same time."

9."There were ashtrays everywhere: Homes, businesses, restaurants, hospitals, malls, designated areas in schools, and more. Even if you didn't smoke, it was normal to have ashtrays available for your guests in the house — like on the coffee table or in the kitchen."
:sick:

Continued below.

Last edited:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
3."I'm just old enough to remember smoking on planes. It still blows my mind that that was a thing!"

Cigarette and seatbelt sign on airplane is lit up

u/Linzcro
Maxiphoto / Getty Images/iStockphoto

:eek:

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
3."I'm just old enough to remember smoking on planes. It still blows my mind that that was a thing!"

Cigarette and seatbelt sign on airplane is lit up

u/Linzcro
Maxiphoto / Getty Images/iStockphoto

After those international flights I took back in the 90s, and being the asthmatic I am, how could I forget that they were a "thing"? :p

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After those international flights I took back in the 90s, and being the asthmatic I am, how could I forget that they were a "thing"? :p
Smoking sections in restaurants. Not separate dining rooms but an imaginary line in the restaurant where you could smoke on one side and not the other but the entire building was smokey.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a 50s Baby Boomer. My grandmother gave me a record player just like this for my 6th or 7th birthday. I have no idea what happened to it. These are now vintage items and collectors will pay decent money if they're in working condition. But who listens to 45 records anymore?

165-jpx.AV47.JPG

Anyone remember S&H Green Stamps? They were given by participating stores to customers--mostly grocery stores as I recall. The more you spent, the more stamps you'd get. You pasted them in a little paper book. When you had enough filled books, you could exchange them at an S&H store for all sorts of household items. I think my mother got our living rooms lamps with Green Stamps.

1707808200027.jpeg

I'm a native southerner, born and raised in GA. There were bad things back in those days, too. I remember gas stations had 3 restrooms--Men, Women, and Colored.

Untitled.jpg

Not everything from back then is worth remembering.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm a 50s Baby Boomer. My grandmother gave me a record player just like this for my 6th or 7th birthday. I have no idea what happened to it. These are now vintage items and collectors will pay decent money if they're in working condition. But who listens to 45 records anymore?

View attachment 342708

Anyone remember S&H Green Stamps? They were given by participating stores to customers--mostly grocery stores as I recall. The more you spent, the more stamps you'd get. You pasted them in a little paper book. When you had enough filled books, you could exchange them at an S&H store for all sorts of household items. I think my mother got our living rooms lamps with Green Stamps.

View attachment 342710

I'm a native southerner, born and raised in GA. There were bad things back in those days, too. I remember gas stations had 3 restrooms--Men, Women, and Colored.

View attachment 342711

Not everything from back then is worth remembering.
My wife and I still have a case full of 45 records and LP albums. We don't have a record player anymore, though.

I remember mom collecting green stamps. She use to let us kids lick 'em and put them in the books.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

As am I. I recall they had a smoking "section" that allowed everyone else to breath only partly smoky air.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums