Must have THIS in the wedding!

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What things are/were necessities for you in your wedding?

For me, it is two things - two prayers and a foot washing ceremony...

I'm not that fussed by the unity candle, or the first communion idea, however I love the idea of washing each other's feet towards the end of the ceremony - I think it shows a lovely example of serving.

My parents won't be walking me down the aisle, so at the beginning of the ceremony, after I've walked down the aisle, I want our minister to acknowledge our parents by having them come and stand behind us, as he prays for us and acknowledges their part in our lives, and commits us into each others keeping from now on.

At the end, before being announced (after the signing of the registry), I want our minister to ask those who wish to show their support of our marriage, to stand and join us at the front, as he prays a prayer of blessing and protection for our marriage. This prayer would have to include a protection hedge, where he prays against outside influences trying to damage our relationship.

I've had these ideas for quite a long time, and would love to see them included in our marriage - those would be the most important part of the ceremony for me, I think.

Oh yeah - and we'd write our own vows, incorporating the ideas of biblical submission and headship, and respect.

How about you?

Sasch

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sascha Fitzpatrick said:
What things are/were necessities for you in your wedding?
Just my husband, dad walking me down the aisle, witnesses and my friends and family watching.

I had a bridesmaid, a big white dress, the guys all dressed up in suits, music, flowers, reception in a marquee, etc None of those things were necessities for me just how we wanted it to be.

One thing that made our wedding special for me was my dad walking me down the aisle. He is a man of few words...barely says much at all and I wasn't sure he'd want to do it. He's not the kind of person who likes everyone looking at him. So I was really happy that he wanted to walk me down the aisle. I didn't think he'd want to give a speech at our reception because he's a quiet person so it made me happy that he at least wanted to walk down the aisle with me. He did also gave a speech at our reception...never in a million years did I think he'd do that. But he did and it was so touching to know that he wanted to stand up and tell everyone how proud he was.

We didn't want to leave our mothers out of the ceremony though so my mother and my husbands mother were our witnesses.

Upvote 0

Maeyken

Senior Veteran
Jul 28, 2004
Hamilton
✟20,300.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I definitely want the unity candle, and I want my daddy to walk me down the aisle. I want the ceremony to be a worship service, and I want the wedding to take place in a church. Beyond that, I don't have anything that *must* be included. I really don't care too much, although it is definitely a lot of fun to dream about the possibilities!

Upvote 0

Maeyken

Senior Veteran
Jul 28, 2004
Hamilton
✟20,300.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I want our minister to acknowledge our parents by having them come and stand behind us, as he prays for us and acknowledges their part in our lives, and commits us into each others keeping from now on.

I haven't ever seen that done at a wedding, but I really like that idea. Hmm... perhaps I could have it done with the unity candle thing... (since that's pretty much what I want the candles to represent) Great idea Sascha!

Upvote 0

PurpleBunny

Rabid Purple Bunny of the Apocalypse
Sep 20, 2004
Visit site
✟1,470.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
15 minutes alone together sometime between the reception and the ceremony... it's a Jewish tradition, I believe. It gives the bride and groom time to let what's happened so far sink in a bit, and just rejoice privately in the fact that they're MARRIED!

Upvote 0

nuarc

Cinnamon Hot
Jul 3, 2004
✟15,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PurpleBunny said:
15 minutes alone together sometime between the reception and the ceremony... it's a Jewish tradition, I believe. It gives the bride and groom time to let what's happened so far sink in a bit, and just rejoice privately in the fact that they're MARRIED!
Here, here!

Upvote 0

charligirl

Senior Veteran
Aug 26, 2003
London
✟17,471.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
foot washing?? not heard of that - ceratinly wouldn't have wanted to take off my sexy stockings in front of the whole church though!!!

All we wanted to have was communion, we felt it was important to take communion to remember God's covenant with us and how our new marriage covenant is symbolic of that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

charligirl

Senior Veteran
Aug 26, 2003
London
✟17,471.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PurpleBunny said:
I SO wish someone had recommended that to me before I got married, we didn't have a second to do that because we walked to the reception, our first time alone was in the taxi on the way to the hotel (mind you that was about 8pm so not too late!!)

Upvote 0

wemmick

Jun 25, 2004
✟7,663.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I want my dad to walk me down the aisle, I want the pastor I babysit for to perform the ceremony (and he has agreed), I want to come in to Trumpet Voluntary with a real trumpet (arranged--one of my mom's friends plays trumpet), I want to include children I babysit for in various aspects (planning on it), I want to come back in after the recessional and "dismiss" each pew row by row, giving us a chance to thank each person for coming and them a chance to feel like they saw us up close and let us know they came, I want the hymn "O God Beyond All Praising" as a congregational hymn. :) I also want to leave my veil over my face until the very end. Matt will be the one to lift it to kiss his bride. :) So far, so good. ;)

~Becca

Upvote 0

sculpturegirl

Aug 26, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
✟1,045.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I love the idea of the footwashing. I am not sure how Erik would feel about it.

We are thinking about this: My father would walk me down the aisle and lift my veil to "give me away." He would then remove my veil, which will basically just be a piece of sheer fabric on my head, fold it up and take it with him when he takes a seat next to my mom. Later in the ceremony, Erik could place a crown/wreath of herbs and flowers on my head. Sort of a change of "spiritual coverings" from my father to my husband. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
sculpturegirl said:
I love the idea of the footwashing. I am not sure how Erik would feel about it.

We are thinking about this: My father would walk me down the aisle and lift my veil to "give me away." He would then remove my veil, which will basically just be a piece of sheer fabric on my head, fold it up and take it with him when he takes a seat next to my mom. Later in the ceremony, Erik could place a crown/wreath of herbs and flowers on my head. Sort of a change of "spiritual coverings" from my father to my husband. Just a thought.
NIce symbolism, I like it.

The footwashing is a lovely idea too.

My only "must" is that my man be there!!!!!!

Truthfully, I'd really like to have communion in the ceremony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cc_suro

Nov 13, 2004
✟127.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Engaged
hi...

I think the idea of taking time alone is so so important. Thanks for that as we are just planning the timeline of the wedding day and although i had slotted in time for us to pray alone at the start of the day, none after the ceremony till we went to our room. So ideally then leaving church and before the photo's or just before going for the reception. Must also add the communion -forgot that.

Can you post some details of the foot washing ceremony/concept. It will be nice to do maybe with just our family at the homecoming.

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok... details of the footwashing concept... be warned that this is how I had this planned for my marriage, and not for a homecoming, so there's additions you probably wouldn't need for the homecoming.

All you need is a bowl of warm water, some foaming gel, or soft soap or something, and a fluffy towel. She sits in the chair, and you sit by her feet with the bowl of water. The idea is to hold her foot, and scoop the water over the foot, WITHOUT having her rest her feet in there. You lather the soap up in your hands and use your HANDS to cleanse them (a soap is rather harsh). Rinse her feet off again with your hands cupping the water. and then rest the towel on your leg, and let her foot rest there as well as you dry it.

The plan's ok for a wedding, so long as you aren't planning on wearing stockings or fancy shoes (which I won't be).

Good luck in all the planning guys, I'm still just planning to enjoy every moment up til then, and beyond...

Sasch

Upvote 0