Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm afraid this comes across as a temporary feel-good gesture. Is this a step towards worldwide peace and reconciliation between Jews and Muslims? I don't think so. I think there's too much deep-seated and long-standing bias and hatred already. Was this particular demonstration a good thing? Sure.

I'm curious about this quote from the Muslim group in the article:
Islam is to protect our brothers and sisters, independently of what religion they belong to.

Can anyone here, Muslim or otherwise, cite something from the Quran or other Islamic teaching that states that one of Islam's purposes is to protect people of other religions?

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Can anyone here, Muslim or otherwise, cite something from the Quran or other Islamic teaching that states that one of Islam's purposes is to protect people of other religions?
Mohammed said:
“Beware! Whoever is cruel and hard on a non-Muslim minority, or curtails their rights, or burdens them with more than they can bear, or takes anything from them against their free will; I (Prophet Muhammad) will complain against the person on the Day of Judgment.”
That was the first hit on google. There are likely more, but then there are almost certainly quotes where he tells his followers to put them to the sword, or something similar. That's the problem with trying to follow these old texts; it ends up being a bit of a pick and mix, open to pretty much any interpretation.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm afraid this comes across as a temporary feel-good gesture. Is this a step towards worldwide peace and reconciliation between Jews and Muslims? I don't think so.
An interesting observation. Why denigrate people doing something within their power to do? Conservatives complain no matter what Muslims do, it appears.
I'm curious about this quote from the Muslim group in the article:
Islam is to protect our brothers and sisters, independently of what religion they belong to.

I'd be interested if anything like that can be found in the Bible. Does that mean we do not help non-Christians?

During World War II, the ten Booms lived out their Christian faith by making their home a refuge--a hiding place--for Jews and members of the Dutch underground who were being hunted by the Nazis.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An interesting observation. Why denigrate people doing something within their power to do? Conservatives complain no matter what Muslims do, it appears.

How exactly was I complaining about what they did?

I'd be interested if anything like that can be found in the Bible. Does that mean we do not help non-Christians?

Thanks for the non-answer.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was the first hit on google. There are likely more, but then there are almost certainly quotes where he tells his followers to put them to the sword, or something similar. That's the problem with trying to follow these old texts; it ends up being a bit of a pick and mix, open to pretty much any interpretation.

Thanks for finding this quote, though. My curiosity has been sated for the moment :)

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How exactly was I complaining about what they did?
Upon further review, I was misreading your response as a "complaint".:bow:
Thanks for the non-answer.

There are no such scriptures in the Bible, either. There are, however many advocating the murder of non-believers.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Side note: If you are visiting Amsterdam, I suggest taking the train out to Haarlem and visiting their house, which is open to the public. It's easier than waiting in line for the Anne Frank house and a more intimate experience.

That sounds like a great experience. I only recently discovered that the family had a history of service before WWII.

Upvote 0

Tigermoose

Jun 16, 2014
✟15,177.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no such scriptures in the Bible, either. There are, however many advocating the murder of non-believers.

Jesus says that all the law and the prophets hang on two commandments.

1. Love God
2. Love Your Neighbor

He then defines "Your Neighbor" through the Parable of the Good Samaritan. That means our neighbor is anybody - even those our cultural group despises, not just those like us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upon further review, I was misreading your response as a "complaint".:bow:

I appreciate the kowtow, lol.

Not what this thread is about.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus says that all the law and the prophets hang on two commandments.

1. Love God
2. Love Your Neighbor

He then defines "Your Neighbor" through the Parable of the Good Samaritan. That means our neighbor is anybody - even those our cultural group despises, not just those like us.

Aaaand here is how the thread will be derailed. Sigh.

This thread is not about Christians or the Bible. But some just gotta make it that or they can't get through their day.

Upvote 0

Tigermoose

Jun 16, 2014
✟15,177.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aaaand here is how the thread will be derailed. Sigh.

This thread is not about Christians or the Bible. But some just gotta make it that or they can't get through their day.

A glaringly false statement such as this demands to be answered.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Things are not as they seem.

Ali Chishti confirmed on Saturday in an interview with Verdens Gang, a highbrow Norwegian newspaper, that he delivered on March 22, 2008, in Oslo a speech on the alleged involvement of Jews in planning the 9/11 Twin Towers bombings in New York. The speech’s title was: ”Therefore I Hate Jews and Gays,” the paper reported, though Chishti said he was not the one who came up with the title.

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-news/1.643633

^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A glaringly false statement such as this demands to be answered.

Other than the generic "Love thy neighbor (as thyself), there are none as far as protecting nonbelievers.

As to unbelievers:

[BIBLE]
You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
[/BIBLE] Deuteronomy 13:9-10

Now, one would rightly argue that this is taking scritures out of context. I would also argue that we Christians are equally and pridefully guilty of doing the same with other religion's texts, such as the Quran.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the aftermath of a gunman fired on a synagogue, killing two in Denmark:

That was the message chanted by what's estimated to be more than 1,000 Muslims who created a human shield, or what they called a "ring of peace," around a synagogue in the Norwegian capital of Oslo late Saturday.
It could be a ruse to give them the opportunity to stake the joint out

Upvote 0