Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

2 teenagers charged in Kansas City Super Bowl rally shooting.

The Office of the Juvenile Officer said the teens face gun-related and resisting arrest charges and are currently detained in secure detention at the Juvenile Detention Center.

“It is anticipated that additional charges are expected in the future as the investigation by the Kansas City Police Department continues,” the Office of the Juvenile Officer said in a statement. [I take it that it may take longer than 24 hours to put together murder/attempted murder charges]

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

2 teenagers charged in Kansas City Super Bowl rally shooting.

The Office of the Juvenile Officer said the teens face gun-related and resisting arrest charges and are currently detained in secure detention at the Juvenile Detention Center.

“It is anticipated that additional charges are expected in the future as the investigation by the Kansas City Police Department continues,” the Office of the Juvenile Officer said in a statement. [I take it that it may take longer than 24 hours to put together murder/attempted murder charges]
Them being juveniles also probably complicates things as well.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
KC mayor says governor used dog whistle when blaming ‘thugs’ for Chiefs rally shooting

A "thug" is defined as a violent, aggressive person, especially one who is a criminal.

That could describe someone of any race but for some reason it seems to typically carry racial connotations towards black people.

During his own interview with KCUR’s Kraske on Friday, Parson largely deflected questions about the possibility of stricter gun control measures in the wake of the shooting, instead pointing to gun laws in Chicago.

"Chicago’s got the strictest gun laws in the nation and they lead the nation in homicides,” he said. "You got to have a real conversation about what is the root problem because, you know, their laws are not working by no means.”

Gov. Parson does have a valid point about Chicago.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
KC mayor says governor used dog whistle when blaming ‘thugs’ for Chiefs rally shooting

A "thug" is defined as a violent, aggressive person, especially one who is a criminal.

That could describe someone of any race but for some reason it seems to typically carry racial connotations towards black people.

During his own interview with KCUR’s Kraske on Friday, Parson largely deflected questions about the possibility of stricter gun control measures in the wake of the shooting, instead pointing to gun laws in Chicago.

"Chicago’s got the strictest gun laws in the nation and they lead the nation in homicides,” he said. "You got to have a real conversation about what is the root problem because, you know, their laws are not working by no means.”

Gov. Parson does have a valid point about Chicago.
Their laws aren’t working because surrounding jurisdictions have lax guns laws.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Their laws aren’t working because surrounding jurisdictions have lax guns laws.
I'm skeptical about that. Now we do need common sense gun laws but not so strict that law abiding citizens cannot protect themselves. Criminals don't care about gun laws. There are too many guns in circulation to completely stop gun violence. The root problem of violence in America is the breakdown of families and the decay of western civilization. This is what happens when a nation turns away from God.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Law abiding citizens care. We just don't want things to get so strict that we lose the right to defend ourselves.
Some localities around Chicago don't require background checks for private gun sales. That is one of the ways that gangsters get around Chicago's strict gun laws. Yet 2nd Amendment rights activists are opposed to requiring them.

How does requiring background checks for private gun sales cause you to lose the right to defend yourself?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some localities around Chicago don't require background checks for private gun sales. That is one of the ways that gangsters get around Chicago's strict gun laws. Yet 2nd Amendment rights activists are opposed to requiring them.

How does requiring background checks for private gun sales cause you to lose the right to defend yourself?
I have no problem with a background check. I have nothing to hide. Do most criminals purchase guns from dealers or off the street?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have no problem with a background check. I have nothing to hide. Do most criminals purchase guns from dealers or off the street?
People with a "bad" background could lose their right. But the 2A says the govt cannot do that.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How many gang related mass shootings have there been?
I dont know why Christians would separate out gang from non gang where murders are concerned. All are supposed to be Gods children as I understand it.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,501.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I dont know why Christians would separate out gang from non gang where murders are concerned. All are supposed to be Gods children as I understand it.
You understand it wrong.
John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You understand it wrong.
John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Boy I sure do. But why do I hear it wrong from a lot of Christian sources? Is it because God wants everyone to come to him and become one of His children?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,501.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Boy I sure do. But why do I hear it wrong from a lot of Christian sources?
I don't have the answer to that. Maybe they do not preach the true Gospel.

Is it because God wants everyone to come to him and become one of His children?
Well, it could be because they only want certain people to become sons of God. There is a deception active among some Christian circles. John 3:16 is not being preached.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
We just don't want things to get so strict that we lose the right to defend ourselves.
Why not make them strict enough that anyone who buys a gun must register it and the seller must register it like a car. Why not require a similar capability test (like driving a car)? If the issue is only being then able to defend yourself wouldn't this be a step in the right direction? You'd be on a data base but your ability to lawfully defend yourself would be unaffected.

Would that be sensible?

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Charleston Church Massacre survivors plead with Republican candidates to talk about guns

The Rev. Eric S.C. Manning, senior pastor at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church — known worldwide as Mother Emanuel — had prayed for the words to counsel his members through America’s ceaseless violence. They were all aware, intimately so, that the worst can happen and nothing much changes.

This Wednesday [Bible Study] meeting used to convene in the basement before a white supremacist showed up one June night in 2015 and opened fire, killing nine people. Now Republican presidential candidates and their backers crisscrossing South Carolina ahead of the state’s Feb. 24 primary seemed to be exhibiting what the 56-year-old pastor called a “lapse in memory.”

Donald Trump and Nikki Haley’s comments on the campaign trail have troubled Manning and others close to Mother Emanuel, many of whom have lobbied for stronger background checks, a policy shift most Americans support, only to meet resistance from conservative leaders.

Haley, the former South Carolina governor, had offered the most detailed policy solution: funding more mental health care

Trump, meanwhile, was calling himself “the best friend gun owners have ever had in the White House.” As president, he briefly consideredtightening background checks in 2019 after gunmen in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, killed 31 people over one August weekend. Then, under pressure from the National Rifle Association, he scrapped that idea

These days, he boasted about doing nothing — literally, the pastor lamented.
“During my four years, nothing happened,” Trump told a gathering of NRA members this month in Pennsylvania. “And there was great pressure on me having to do with guns. We did nothing.”

His remarks at a northeast Iowa rally one day after the school shooting in rural Perry killed an 11-year-old boy and the high school principal had landed like salt in the Mother Emanuel congregation’s psychic wound. It was “so surprising” and “just terrible,” Trump said before adding, “but we have to get over it.”

--

9 years after Charleston or a week after Kansas City: Do nothing. Get over it.

Upvote 0