Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it time for a 'thread war' about who is spreading fake news, Nighthawkeye? Do you really want the forum to filled with accusations of fake news in every thread? Is that going to help anything? How many threads are you going to start? I suggest making one of the threads your fake news accusation thread and go from there.

Do you really think that Fox news or Inforwars or WND, or Breitbart didn't promote false news? I don't see apologies from them, except a few Fox news anchors.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Is it time for a 'thread war' about who is spreading fake news, Nighthawkeye? Do you really want the forum to filled with accusations of fake news in every thread? Is that going to help anything? How many threads are you going to start? I suggest making one of the threads your fake news accusation thread and go from there.
My apologies if I've overused the term "Fake News" but the preponderance of multiple news stories which are glaringly wrong sorely deserves attention.

I'm not the only one who has noticed this. A recent moderator started thread even discussed the possibility of outright banning news sources known for fake news.

If you'd like I can use other terms than "Fake News" to describe these glaringly inaccurate stories ... but since mainstream outlets are currently making "Fake News" into a hot topic it seemed entirely appropriate to label these stories the way they were.

It's not that are multiple "Fake News" articles ... it's that multiple political news stories exist today which have been faked. Big difference. Each story is a separate topic.
Do you really think that Fox news or Inforwars or WND, or Breitbart didn't promote false news? I don't see apologies from them, except a few Fox news anchors.
Curiously, a survey article in today's news indicates that Infowars, Breitbart and WND are currently held in about the same regard as The Onion ... nobody much believes what they publish ... not sure what your point here was, unless you were simply attempting to slam Fox News by association.

That same survey indicated Fox News is held in the same esteem as CNN, ABC and CBS. Apparently, nobody believes MSNBC anymore though.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,733,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This election I saw thread after thread with false stories. They were definite fake news stories and now we know a large number of them were created in Macedonia by teens just wanting to make money. The stories were picked up by inforwars and breitbart and more.... and bought into by many Trump supporters. They were promoted here. Folks argued that they were true.

All news needs to be double checked. Mainstream ones will make mistakes, get the wrong information from witness who was not accurate, and then often apologize. I have seen apologies on Fox now that I think of it.

Fake news stories are a legitimate concern as evidenced by the Pizzagate story that could have cost some lives. The man was armed.
Mistakes though will happen and it helps that a network or source owns up to the mistake.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
This election I saw thread after thread with false stories.
Absolutely true ... though I suspect that you and I might disagree about which stories are true and which are false.

Let's be brutally honest here ... and admit that many news stories contain a large measure of un-truth in them.

But ... isn't that one of the main reasons people come to this forum ... to discuss these stories and to try to understand what's real and what's fiction?
They were definite fake news stories and now we know a large number of them were created in Macedonia by teens just wanting to make money. The stories were picked up by inforwars and breitbart and more.... and bought into by many Trump supporters. They were promoted here. Folks argued that they were true.
... and now Infowars and Breitbart have no credibility.

They earned that ... and they deserve the consequences which come with having no credibility ... just like MSNBC, I'll add.
All news needs to be double checked. Mainstream ones will make mistakes, get the wrong information from witness who was not accurate, and then often apologize. I have seen apologies on Fox now that I think of it.
Personally, I don't recommend Fox any more than CNN or ABC ... though I personally consider Fox News credibility to be well above CBS and NBC.
Fake news stories are a legitimate concern as evidenced by the Pizzagate story that could have cost some lives. The man was armed.
Mistakes though will happen and it helps that a network or source owns up to the mistake.
You mean the same way Hillary owned up to creating and perpetuating the "Fake News" story about Benghazi resulting from a Youtube video ... which curiously enough none of the mainstream outlets bothered to cross-check at the time ... though alternative news outlets were sounding the alarm like crazy. Instead, the poor Youtube video creator spent a year or so in jail.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,437,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean the same way Hillary owned up to creating and perpetuating the "Fake News" story about Benghazi resulting from a Youtube video ... which curiously enough none of the mainstream outlets bothered to cross-check at the time ... though alternative news outlets were sounding the alarm like crazy. Instead, the poor Youtube video creator spent a year or so in jail.

The mainstream outlets did not themselves investigate and break a story that Benghazi resulted from a YouTube video, they reported the State Department saying so. That was accurate reporting about what the State Department actually stated. Even if the State Department is lying, reporting the statement is necessary journalism.

There were other sources reporting a different interpretation of events from that of the State Department--and those sources should have vetted to an extent that editors could consider them reliable and also reported to the public.

And none of the media reports was used as evidence in anyone's trial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
>> You mean the same way Hillary owned up to creating and perpetuating the "Fake News" story about Benghazi resulting from a Youtube video ...<<

Looks like what is, and is not, fake news is still really confusing for some folks.

>> which curiously enough none of the mainstream outlets bothered to cross-check at the time ... though alternative news outlets were sounding the alarm like crazy. Instead, the poor Youtube video creator spent a year or so in jail. <<

Well, talk about fake news... oh the irony.

Upvote 0