In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I liked the movie Arranged, though I think the process of arranged marriages probably aren't that easy like it was portrayed in the movie, but oh well. I'm trying to think of some films I've seen that promote religious tolerance.

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I liked the movie Arranged, though I think the process of arranged marriages probably aren't that easy like it was portrayed in the movie, but oh well. I'm trying to think of some films I've seen that promote religious tolerance.

Most of my friends and I (and now some of my friends' kids) were married in a similar way to the Muslim girl in the movie. It was pretty easy. I do HEAR that in some areas of the Asian subcontinent #and in other areas) Muslim women are being forced into marriages they don't want to be in, and that is a shame and anti-Islamic. Also, I've heard a lot about how high dowries (also against Prophetic teachings) and stuff make marriage difficult in some Middle Eastern cultures.

Upvote 0

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't watch that many movies, but this has got to be one of my favorites. Grab some popcorn and enjoy! :)

Youtube: Arranged Part 1

Does anyone else have any suggestions for movies that try to help build bridges between people of different faiths?

Hi JJ, there is a site on the web where you can have spiritual movies and promotes really religion tolerance, I hope you like it, the site is spiritualcinemacircle you have to have a look in Google as I can paste the whole link the front is www as you know and the end is dot com.:)

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Hi JJ, there is a site on the web where you can have spiritual movies and promotes really religion tolerance, I hope you like it, the site is spiritualcinemacircle you have to have a look in Google as I can paste the whole link the front is www as you know and the end is dot com.:)

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Speaking of movies, I really liked 'Fireproof', too.

Upvote 0

humblemuslim

I am busy currently. Will be less active soon.
Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Explain the difference between religious tolerance and believing others trust in falsehood but doing nothing to help them find the truth. Use the parallel of believing in a mud pack verse believing in antibiotics.

GOD is all powerful, all wise, all present. Do you not trust/believe that if GOD had willed it to be so that all people would believe the truth?

That is not to say everyone should just give up promoting their faith. But the wise will take heed that one exhibiting religious tolerance and patience will have more success in convincing others of the truth.

It is akin to the man who tries to fix his television by banging on it against the man who takes the time to open it up and look inside to determine what the problem is.

Religious tolerance is simply about respecting and understanding other faiths, not acknowledging they are correct. In terms of respect, it refers to allowing them to practice their religion freely without oppression. It refers to not insulting or badgering them verbally. In terms of understanding, it refers to taking the time to listen to what they believe and why. It refers to self study of the religion to determine where agreements and disagreements exist.

Religious tolerance is a matter of behavior.

Upvote 0

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Explain the difference between religious tolerance and believing others trust in falsehood but doing nothing to help them find the truth. Use the parallel of believing in a mud pack verse believing in antibiotics.

Allowing followers of other religions to follow their spiritual beliefs without oppression or discrimination. Religious tolerance is a fundamental right in a democracy. Most people believe that religious tolerance, using this definition, is a noble goal, and vitally necessary for world peace.

Of course, no right is absolute. Tolerance may not necessarily extend beyond religious beliefs to include some religious actions -- particularly those that harm others.

Micah 4:3-5 "...they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hat spoken it. For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever." (KJV)

Anon: "Religious tolerance is not religious indifference. It consists of valuing the right of another person to hold beliefs that you know absolutely, and without a doubt, to be wrong."

Anon: "Religious tolerance means to refrain from discriminating against others who follow a different religious path. Tolerance is more difficult to maintain when you know that your religion is true and their religion is wrong."

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Religious tolerance =/= doing nothing to promote your own religious (or non-religious) ideals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Your so-called truth isn't the truth for others, realizing that is apart of religious tolerance.

Upvote 0

Van

Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
California
✟9,814.00
Faith
Christian
Let's see, religious tolerance means accepting that because I might be mistaken in what I believe is true, that I should not present evidence I find compelling that other belief systems are bogus (Passionfruit)

Religious tolerance is about respecting other faiths that you believe are bogus (Jeliel)

Religious tolerance is about honoring the right of any person to believe as they want, rather than forcing them into a "one size fits all" system like godless creation taught in public education in America.

Religious tolerance includes the right to promote your beliefs, but not the right to belittle the beliefs of others (Durangodawood).

So it does not go as far as the First Amendment where everyone has the right to the free exercise of their religion provided it does not result in physical harm to others. Now we come to the crux of the issue. Is it a violation of "religious tolerance" to force me to pay, via taxes, for public education that I believe undermines religious beliefs?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Religious tolerance includes the right to promote your beliefs, but not the right to belittle the beliefs of others (Durangodawood).
"Rights" are not the issue. Religious tolerance is a matter of good, moral behavior. Clearly we have the right to behave in many ways that are rude, ill advised and even immoral. So rights are not necessarily much of a guide to good behavior.
The right just means that no one shall be in a position to forcibly stop you. It does not make your particular behavior morally correct nor morally wrong.

So it does not go as far as the First Amendment where everyone has the right to the free exercise of their religion provided it does not result in physical harm to others. Now we come to the crux of the issue. Is it a violation of "religious tolerance" to force me to pay, via taxes, for public education that I believe undermines religious beliefs?
Perhaps to some small extent.
However, human affairs are more often than not matters of competing but legitimate interests. There's:
A. the notion that no one should be forced to do anything.
B. the notion that the world will be a completely miserable place unless we provide education for children.
B wins, though both are valid.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's see, religious tolerance means accepting that because I might be mistaken in what I believe is true, that I should not present evidence I find compelling that other belief systems are bogus (Passionfruit)

You can present your so-called evidence that your beliefs are true while someone else's isn't. But they can do the same for your religion as well. And therefore, don't have to accept your beliefs as truth, because that person may think your beliefs are bogus and that you're the one who is mistaken.

It's about accepting the fact that people don't have the same idea of truth as you do.

Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Religious tolerance is about honoring the right of any person to believe as they want, rather than forcing them into a "one size fits all" system like godless creation taught in public education in America.
1. The ToE isn't concerned with the origin of life, but only with the way organisms change over time in response to environmental and other factors.
2. Personally, I think that it'd be wise to include religious education in the public school curriculum: naturally, this would include introductions to more than just your own faith, and I suspect that you wouldn't be too happy about that, either.
Anyway, such a class would prevent people from wanting to have their myths being promoted in science class - where they don't belong, obviously. The Biblical creation account (or any other creation myth, for that matter) is not a falsifiable scientific theory, and thus has no place whatsoever in biology class - even if you want to obfuscate its religious and non-scientific nature by calling it "Intelligent Design".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
2. Personally, I think that it'd be wise to include religious education in the public school curriculum: naturally, this would include introductions to more than just your own faith, and I suspect that you wouldn't be too happy about that, either.

In an ideal America, I would support that too. However, this would be a problem in the America that exists, and precisely because of teachers who have a negative attitude towards religious tolerance.

Putting religious education in the public school curriculum would lead to political conflict as Christians (some of them) oppose the teaching of Hinduism, and whatnot, in the schools. We would probably end up with schools in some states teaching that Christianity is Good and American, and that all those other religions are evil and foreign.

Yes, this sort of education can work in some cultures, and very well, but in America it would only weaken the separation of Church and State. Not that there aren't already problems with that, but it just might make things worse.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
In an ideal America, I would support that too. However, this would be a problem in the America that exists, and precisely because of teachers who have a negative attitude towards religious tolerance.

Putting religious education in the public school curriculum would lead to political conflict as Christians (some of them) oppose the teaching of Hinduism, and whatnot, in the schools. We would probably end up with schools in some states teaching that Christianity is Good and American, and that all those other religions are evil and foreign.

Yes, this sort of education can work in some cultures, and very well, but in America it would only weaken the separation of Church and State. Not that there aren't already problems with that, but it just might make things worse.

Hmmmm... don't you think that cultures are less static than that, and that religious education classes could be the very force that would change matters for the better simply by breaking the cycle of an ever-escalating trench war?
It's a classical chicken-and-egg situation, if you ask me: does religious intolerance result from a perceived antagonism between different groups, or is that antagonism the result of religious intolerance? I'd say it is a sort of fatal synergy, and the only way to snap out of it is by breaking the cycle.

Compare it to Western Europe, if you will: not so long ago, people here were killing each other in nasty ways over their religious affiliations. The thirty-years-war, Bloody Mary, the Huguenots, and so on and so forth. Two generations ago, it was pretty much impossible for a Protestant to marry a Catholic or vice versa. Nowadays, it isn't really much of an issue in all but the most conservative rural areas.
True, Germany still isn't an ideal state in terms of religious tolerance, as the recent one-sided ban of religious symbols in schools illustrates - but things are steadily improving, and will hopefully continue to do so.

The only thing that worries me somewhat is a constant influx evangelical proselytizers and willing converts: especially the Russian expatriates seem to feel a HUGE affinity for Christian fringe nut groups, for some peculiar reason. Perhaps it's because they were previously part of a society that pretty much encouraged the ideological turf war...

Upvote 0

Van

Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
California
✟9,814.00
Faith
Christian
In California, a few years back, we had a School Voucher initiative on the ballot. It was defeated by almost 2 to 1. So the majority of people do not want to allow parents the right to choose schools. So from my perspective the only entity that denies religious freedom is government. In Saudi Arabia only one religion is fostered. In Romania only one religion is fostered. In America, godlessness is fostered. The godless demand that everyone worship at their truth alter. See the intolerance in not allowing my myths (for the godless know the truth and only their truth is tolerated) to be taught in schools chosen by like minded parents.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In California, a few years back, we had a School Voucher initiative on the ballot. It was defeated by almost 2 to 1. So the majority of people do not want to allow parents the right to choose schools. So from my perspective the only entity that denies religious freedom is government. In Saudi Arabia only one religion is fostered. In Romania only one religion is fostered. In America, godlessness is fostered. The godless demand that everyone worship at their truth alter. See the intolerance in not allowing my myths (for the godless know the truth and only their truth is tolerated) to be taught in schools chosen by like minded parents.
I dont recall godlessness being in the curicullum at my public school. They didnt tell me to be godless or godfull or anything in between.
The beauty of the American system is all teaching regarding God is left up to the conscience of the parents, and schools take no position on the issue.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul while in Athens said this: Acts 17: 22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

Did Paul show tact and tolerance when addressing the people of Athens?

Upvote 0