Movies and Nakedness

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I say "no reason" for any of the three.

I remember when I was a child, it was so much fun to watch nature films. Then nature films just had to get "real" and we had to watch those cuddly tiger cubs grow up, copulate, eat stuff and kill eachother. Now, I can't bear to watch the shows! They are disgusting.

Any story can be told without nudity! ANY!

Upvote 0

jon1101

Dec 31, 2001
Hillsdale, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,871.00
Faith
Christian
newlamb said:
I say "no reason" for any of the three.

I remember when I was a child, it was so much fun to watch nature films. Then nature films just had to get "real" and we had to watch those cuddly tiger cubs grow up, copulate, eat stuff and kill eachother. Now, I can't bear to watch the shows! They are disgusting.

Any story can be told without nudity! ANY!
Right, and any story can be told without dialogue, but can it be told as well? In some cases, certainly. Should "no dialogue" therefore be made a rule? I doubt it. Considering the number of scenes containing nudity or sexuality that work perfectly well, I think there needs to be a stronger argument than "it isn't perfectly necessary to get the job done." Of course, some people propose that nudity has some inherent worsening affect that's rather tough to justify unless it's perfectly necessary to achieve some higher goal. But since it isn't perfectly necessary, it should never exist in film. If this is, in fact, the argument, I'm wondering why nudity is thought to worsen a film at all.

-Jon

Upvote 0

Cerridwen

Peaceful Pagan
May 28, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟16,054.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh good grief!

People! We are born nude!! We all have the same parts. It's some members of society's unhealthy obsession with the "nastiness" of the human body that causes so much trouble with the world today-especially the vilification & objectification of women. Honestly, look at the people who freak out like idiots when they see a woman *gasp* breastfeeding in public. What is the big deal? Get over it already!

Love & Blessings, Cerridwen*

Upvote 0

Buzz Dixon

Aug 25, 2004
Los Angeles
✟1,184.00
Faith
Christian
Old Man Turtle said:
Since all Christians have been bought with the blood of Christ, and since all of a Christian's life should be governed by God, is it ever right for "Christian movies" to show nudity?
Hey, aren't Larry and the rest of the Veggie Tale characters naked?!?!?

Upvote 0

Buzz Dixon

Aug 25, 2004
Los Angeles
✟1,184.00
Faith
Christian
jon1101 said:
Right, and any story can be told without dialogue, but can it be told as well? In some cases, certainly. Should "no dialogue" therefore be made a rule?
Mary Pickford argued that it was a pity sound movies grew out of silent films when it really should have been the other way around.

If you ever get a chance, see an old silent movie called THE LAST LAUGH, directed by F. W. Murnau. Except for the writing on a birthday cake, a telegram, and a newspaper clipping, they don't even use titles! It's a great film (trivia note: The original German version ends before the last scene but was considered too much of a downer for American audiences, so a new funny-twist-of-fate ending was shot to give it a happy ending for the States).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I

Inperfected

Yeah i'd agree with you there..

It depends the reason the nudity is being portrayed

1) In the name of documentaries, should "Christian movies" portray nudity?
In most senses i think this is fine. For one, babies are nude when they are on tv, but also for another example, is a healing show. (about people who have been healed). Sometimes nudity is neede to set across a point, somtimes it isn't. It depends on the film

2) In the name of artistic quality, should "Christian movies" portray nudity?
I personally dont' think so, as because it is just for "art" there are other ways of getting the point across

However i do agree that there is song of songs in the bible... and i agree that jon1011 has it right.

Upvote 0

Vilnius

Sep 27, 2004
✟15,802.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I guess nudity comes in various forms. Before God convicted me about lust, my opinion would have been that of most males--the more the better! But, after becoming aware of Mathew 5:28 where Jesus tells us looking lustfully upon a woman is committing adultry in our hearts, I feel the standard must be whether the scene is likely to temp the viewer to lust in his heart.

It is a really tough standard given how prone men are to lust upon immodestly dressed women. And it certainly goes against all my secular training that says to be relaxed about nudity. But God said it, so how can we ignore it?

Upvote 0

Electric Sceptic

Dec 4, 2004
✟3,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Vilnius said:
I guess nudity comes in various forms. Before God convicted me about lust, my opinion would have been that of most males--the more the better! But, after becoming aware of Mathew 5:28 where Jesus tells us looking lustfully upon a woman is committing adultry in our hearts, I feel the standard must be whether the scene is likely to temp the viewer to lust in his heart.

It is a really tough standard given how prone men are to lust upon immodestly dressed women. And it certainly goes against all my secular training that says to be relaxed about nudity. But God said it, so how can we ignore it?
Well...let's be more precise. A particular book, which claims to be the word of god, contains some words claimed to be of Jesus, who some claim to have been God, says it. You may well believe that that equates to 'God said it,' but it's hardly in evidence.

Upvote 0
O

Old Man Turtle

What are implications for this view concerning nudity on a movie set or in the art class?

Can a film crew view a nude female actor without lusting? Lights, action, cameras, take your clothes off....

Forget about your secular training and be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Vilnius said:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Electric Sceptic

Dec 4, 2004
✟3,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Old Man Turtle said:
What are implications for this view concerning nudity on a movie set or in the art class?

Can a film crew view a nude female actor without lusting? Lights, action, cameras, take your clothes off....

Forget about your secular training and be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Of course they can. Have you ever done any acting? There's nothing less likely to provoke lust than performing a nude scene. It is not in the least erotic or arousing.

Upvote 0
O

Old Man Turtle

No, haven't done any acting, but I used to model nude for art classes and was frequently the object of lust by female art students. I got hit on.

Electric Sceptic said:
Of course they can. Have you ever done any acting? There's nothing less likely to provoke lust than performing a nude scene. It is not in the least erotic or arousing.

Upvote 0

Electric Sceptic

Dec 4, 2004
✟3,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Old Man Turtle said:
No, haven't done any acting, but I used to model nude for art classes and was frequently the object of lust by female art students. I got hit on.
Great. We're not talking about art classes. We're talking about movies.

No offence, but you seem to have a real issue with nakedness. You seem to think that as soon as anyone gets naked, everyone's thoughts immediately turn to lust and people get hit on all over the place, while as long as everyone is clothed, nobody thinks about lust and nobody ever gets hit on. I'm sorry, but that's just not the case. Fully clothed people can and do inspire lust and get hit on; naked people are taken as a matter of course. There's nothing inherently sinful or wrong in nakedness.

Upvote 0