Mother Teresa Set for Sainthood After Vatican Approves Second Miracle

LinguaIgnota

Nov 26, 2014
✟59,588.00
Faith
Atheist
In 2002, the Vatican officially recognised a miracle she was said to have carried out after her death, namely the 1998 healing of a Bengali tribal woman, Monika Besra, who was suffering from an abdominal tumour.

The commission found Besra, diagnosed with tuberculosis and a cancerous tumour, got well after prayers by the Missionaries of Charity.

I guess the threshold for miracles isn't very high.

Upvote 0

AnonymousRain

Dec 5, 2015
London
✟15,965.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe it is the politics of the fame she enjoyed in life? The question that could constantly be asked of the Vatican or parish priests; when will Teresa become a saint?

The miracle approval process is interesting. God brings a miracle but it isn't real until the church criteria that defines such a thing is met? It would appear to give the church more authority than god when they can decide what constitutes his work on this plane.

Upvote 0

AnonymousRain

Dec 5, 2015
London
✟15,965.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
The first miracle attributed to Teresa occurred to a non-Christian woman in Calcutta on the anniversary of Teresa's death. Pope John Paul made an exception to the waiting period to consider such things in the road to sainthood.
I wonder why he'd do that just out of my own curiosity.

Do you have something to say? That :doh: is subject to interpretation.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This pain-worshipping woman deserves no respect.

Yeah, some of her remarks about suffering are pretty creepy and raise many red flags.

Sadly, she kind of reminds me of similar mindsets I had as a Christian. Lol.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Maybe it is the politics of the fame she enjoyed in life? The question that could constantly be asked of the Vatican or parish priests; when will Teresa become a saint?

The miracle approval process is interesting. God brings a miracle but it isn't real until the church criteria that defines such a thing is met? It would appear to give the church more authority than god when they can decide what constitutes his work on this plane.

Hi,

I really think that the church giving credence or authority to God in the subject of saints is entirely incorrect.

Yes I think you said that also.

My definition of saint is anyone who works for God.

My definition of a church saint is anyone who God wants us to know that they are working for Him to teach us all something.

LOVE,

Upvote 0