Most televangelists come across as charlatans

sickntired771

Dec 11, 2014
✟15,989.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't know where else to post this but it seems that most televangelists come across as charlatans, I don't even know if they believe what they preach. It just seems they are screaming at the tv and their audience and asking for money every second and claiming all kinds of things. I think a lot of them really border on heresy and false prophets.

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The thing is sometimes people can not tell the difference unless they know them person or if they are at the event. You can also tell the difference if what they are saying contradicts the Bible. One who knows the Bible can tell which televangelists are bearing good fruit.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I didn't know where else to post this but it seems that most televangelists come across as charlatans, I don't even know if they believe what they preach. It just seems they are screaming at the tv and their audience and asking for money every second and claiming all kinds of things. I think a lot of them really border on heresy and false prophets.

They come across as charlatans because they are charlatans, and most of the bile that they spew is heresy, and those who claim to have "prophecy" are false prophets.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Niblo
Upvote 0

sickntired771

Dec 11, 2014
✟15,989.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes they preach from the Bible but still think even though their words are of "good fruit" their actions and true heart are not in line with the word. I find many are taking the word and using it to promote their agenda.

It reminds me of this verse from Jesus: "[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men. -[/FONT] [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Matthew 15: 8-9[/FONT]"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes they preach from the Bible but still think even though their words are of "good fruit" their actions and true heart are not in line with the word. I find many are taking the word and using it to promote their agenda.

It reminds me of this verse from Jesus: "[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men. -[/FONT] [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Matthew 15: 8-9[/FONT]"

Right

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Something interesting I've noticed over the years is that false teachers tend to rely much more on emotion and showmanship, which is better communicated through visual media or television. This is why TBN has been so successful and why Benn Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Joyce Meyer, the gay Filipino guy, etc, all gravitate to TV.

On the other hand, the good preachers and teachers who's ministries center around teaching and preaching do not need to use visual means. Hence, the reason the good, sound preachers and teachers are more likely to be on radio or podcast, rather than television.

I think there may be a stewardship issue, as well, as radio costs so much less than television, and podcasts, virtually nothing.

Upvote 0

sickntired771

Dec 11, 2014
✟15,989.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Something interesting I've noticed over the years is that false teachers tend to rely much more on emotion and showmanship, which is better communicated through visual media or television. This is why TBN has been so successful and why Benn Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Joyce Meyer, the gay Filipino guy, etc, all gravitate to TV.

On the other hand, the good preachers and teachers who's ministries center around teaching and preaching do not need to use visual means. Hence, the reason the good, sound preachers and teachers are more likely to be on radio or podcast, rather than television.

I think there may be a stewardship issue, as well, as radio costs so much less than television, and podcasts, virtually nothing.

Why do you think Joseph Prince is gay? It's fine if he is but I never heard him suggest that.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think Joseph Prince is gay? It's fine if he is but I never heard him suggest that.

The hair, the make up, the girl's pants...

The fact that you knew who I was talking about shows I'm not the only one who gets that impression from him.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually it was the fact that you said Filipino and we are talking about televangelists. Anyways, it doesnt matter if he is gay or not as long as he reaches people with the gospel although personally his style doesn't resonate with me.

He doesn't reach people with the Gospel. He's a false teacher.

And, given the Bible's prohibition on homosexuality, I'd say his homosexuality matters very much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Most (if not all) televangelists are charlatans.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I don't know whom you've been watching, but the best known televangelists don't scream at the camera, don't constantly appeal for money, and do not claim very unusual "things." They might all be charlatans, but I can't agree that they "come across" as such.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually it was the fact that you said Filipino and we are talking about televangelists. Anyways, it doesnt matter if he is gay or not as long as he reaches people with the gospel although personally his style doesn't resonate with me.

First of all, he doesn't preach the Gospel.

Far from telling us it doesn't matter, the Bible tells us to mark false teachers and have nothing to do with them.

Second, it matters a great deal if he's a homosexual because God as condemned homosexuality and declared that homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2012
USA
✟568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Second, it matters a great deal if he's a homosexual because God as condemned homosexuality and declared that homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.

Where can you find information that proves Joseph Prince is homosexual? I have never heard of this before. It sounds like it could be rumor because when I searched about him online in the past the only criticisms I found online were people who said he emphasized God's grace too much and did not preach against sin enough.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are you making a distinction between pastors who televise their regular sermons to their congregations and evangelists who have only a television audience?

What about pastors who make videos of their past sermons available on their church websites.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums