Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I gotta call it like I see it, national pride aside Italian cuisine is way better than German in general. I like any Italian food that doesn't have ricotta cheese in it (I really hate ricotta).

Try to mix in and add more of other cheeses. I have an awesome baked zitti recipe that asks for equal parts of ricotta, mozzarella, and parmigiano. I add a little more mozza and parm into the mix and I'll sprinkle on top a healthy layer of those two cheeses.

Upvote 0

Jimmy P

Love me or Hate me, You'll never forget me...
Apr 20, 2013
The Hearts of My Loved Ones
✟138,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm mainly Irish, but Italian cuisine ROCKS...

My wife being Italian and then there is myself and our growing 9 yr old...we don't have much in the way of $$, but we eat awesomely and have many leftovers for a small budget...
We've made some of our own Pasta before...takes a bit after rolling it out, cutting it, letting it dry...but wow, is it ever good...

Now some of the other foods can be pricey, like Lasagna, Italian meatloaf with Italian Sausage, Ground Beef and Veal...

Saturday we're having Baked Ziti...LOVE that meal...we have the Ziti pasta, red gravy, she'll make her meatballs, season everything and garlic bread...she makes her own garlic bread...we get those rolls from walmart, they look kinda like sub buns, but a little smaller...she melts down butter, adds some garlic powder...roasts some bulbs of garlic with basil and olive oil...mash the garlic, add the garlic butter mixture to it...then spread on rolls...put in aluminum foil, wrap and bake...
As Dawny would say 'Ma Don Ami' (sp?) (means Oh My God in Italian)...

Great, now you all got me freakin' starvin'...;)

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,692.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Germans have pasta too:
Spätzle!

Weißwurst is another one of my favorites.

And who doesn't love Schnitzel?
240px-Wiener-Schnitzel02.jpg

And of course, you cannot forget the desserts.
Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, Pfeffernüsse, or Apple Strudel. (Which is actually Austrian, but...)

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,692.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Another side of my family comes from Sweden, and I have no problem saying that most of their food is, not for the faint of heart.

I've never had SSurströmming and I don't plan to.

Lingonberry Jam and Prinsesstårta are rather good.

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Say wha?!

All the various pastas, breads, seafood, sauces, cheeses, herbs...and you still prefer German?!

But you can say the same for a lot of other ethnic dishes.

Try to mix in and add more of other cheeses. I have an awesome baked zitti recipe that asks for equal parts of ricotta, mozzarella, and parmigiano. I add a little more mozza and parm into the mix and I'll sprinkle on top a healthy layer of those two cheeses.

That does sound good, my husband makes a mean lassanga that uses less ricotta than usual and I like it so I bet I would like your recipe. This tread is making me hungry for my homemade from scratch spaghetti sauce it is pretty time consuming so I haven't made it since we brought our son home.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Jimmy P

Apr 20, 2013
✟138,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No offense Dylan but the German pasta wasn't all that great...I do like the saurkraut...
I can say this because my 3rd Great Grandfather came from Hesse-Darmstadt, Worms, Germany in 1847....plus on my other Great Grandfathers side, a crapload of Germans...

After Irish, I have alot of German...could explain my love affair with hot dogs...;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Catholic countries seem to have the best food

Italian and Mexican food is certainly popular in the USA

French cuisine is counted as the standard for classical cooking

even in the USA, the Cajun food is some of the best, being made by mostly Catholic French Creole people

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
even among the northern Europeans, the Polish seem to have nicer food then the rest.

Except for very expensive very fancy Russian style foods, those are good, but part of that is that a lot of the Russian dishes I know are very rich food that is prepared for the elites

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Germans have pasta too:
Spätzle!

Weißwurst is another one of my favorites.

And who doesn't love Schnitzel?
240px-Wiener-Schnitzel02.jpg

And of course, you cannot forget the desserts.
Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, Pfeffernüsse, or Apple Strudel. (Which is actually Austrian, but...)

That Spatzel, we have something similar in Poland. We also have a variety of pierogis. Even with that said, they get smoked with all the various types of Italian raviolis, pastas and fillings that go in them, and to further mitigate the disparity, the Italians are incredible when it comes to sauces.

I have nothing against Schnitzel...but I think you may see what I'm about to say: we also have something similar:

800px-Kotlet_schabowy.jpg

Just look at the various Italian desserts that have coffee or cappuccino or desserts centered around nuts. Even one of the most popular spreads:

250px-Nutella-1.jpg

Is Italian.

And they still make awesome seafood!

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Did you know that Nutella was made by an Italian Baker in WW2? He added Hazelnuts to his Chocolate to extend his Chocolate rations...leave it to an Italian :)

An awesome combination only matched by chocolate and peanut butter. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jimmy P

Apr 20, 2013
✟138,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometime we're gonna try a neat cookie attempt...make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies but instead of peanut butter, use Bischoff Spread and then melt down some Nutella and drizzle it on top of the cookies...
It's just a thought we had and figured hey, why not?

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,692.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Sometime we're gonna try a neat cookie attempt...make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies but instead of peanut butter, use Bischoff Spread and then melt down some Nutella and drizzle it on top of the cookies...
It's just a thought we had and figured hey, why not?

You may want to trademark, copyright, whatever it is you have to do to take credit for a recipe. My heart palpitated by just reading that, so, of course, it should be great! :D

At least we all can agree...that Irish food can be used as a tool of mass destruction; if smelling the cooking part doesn't get people, then surely eating it will.

No, I'm joking. I like Irish food:

170px-Guinness.jpg

Thickest meal on God's green Earth.

Upvote 0