resident brat and doom and gloomer
Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
✟14,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“. . .the woman saw that the tree was good (suitable, pleasant) for food and that it was delightful to look at, and a tree to be desired. . .”(Gen 3:6)

“You will fully recognize them by their fruits. . .Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.” (Matt. 7:16,17,18)

The word “by”(apo) can indicate “because of” or sometimes “after”.
The word “bears” or “bear” (poieo) can sometimes indicate “continuing” or “exercise” (by occupation).
==
Often times when we think of bearing good fruit, we think of good ole Galatians 5 with the fruits of the spirit. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there's more to consider.

When Eve was in the Garden of Eden, the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil looked good. It probably even tasted good if she was so willing to give it to Adam as well. It wasn't until after they'd eaten that they discovered how deadly the fruit really was.

Sometimes a fruit can be obviously rotten or full of worms and you know it just by looking at it. Sometimes the fruit looks great on the outside but you find out it's rotten or full of worms when you bite into it. Sometimes the fruit looks good and tastes good, but you don't know it's poisonous until it's too late (or unless someone warns you beforehand).

Not one of us is going to walk 100% in love 100% of the time. Even Peter, after being sent out, still made mistakes – that did not make him a bad tree.
We all still have times when we screw up and sin. That should not be considered continuing or exercising (by occupation) in sin or producing (continually) bad (rotten, putrid) fruit. A good tree bears good fruit, but even of the good fruit, one may spoil, in which case, the spoiled fruit should be thrown out (as the spoilage can spread).

A bad (toxic, putrid) tree cannot bear good fruit. Jesus didn't say it couldn't bear fruit, only that it couldn't bear good fruit, so it stands to reason that at least some bad trees can bear fruit of some kind. Let's take the Holly Tree (or bush, whichever you prefer) for example. It produces beautiful, red fruit – pleasing to the eye, but eat more than three berries, and you can expect a very toxic result.

In Matthew 3:8, John the Baptist says, “Bring forth fruit that is consistent with repentance [let your lives prove your change of heart]”.

When determining whether a person is producing good or bad fruit, it might be more accurate to look at Who their trust is in. Do they point people to Jesus (or at least try to), or do they draw people to themselves? Do they encourage you to trust in Jesus, or trust in them? Do they encourage you to get direction from the Lord and point you to His Word, or do they want you to hear from them?

Sometimes you just don't know how good or bad the fruit is until you've had a bite. Either way, it's sure to leave a lasting impression.

What are some other indicators of good or bad fruit?

Last edited:

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
“. . .the woman saw that the tree was good (suitable, pleasant) for food and that it was delightful to look at, and a tree to be desired. . .”(Gen 3:6)

“You will fully recognize them by their fruits. . .Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.” (Matt. 7:16,17,18)

The word “by”(apo) can indicate “because of” or sometimes “after”.
The word “bears” or “bear” (poieo) can sometimes indicate “continuing” or “exercise” (by occupation).
==
Often times when we think of bearing good fruit, we think of good ole Galatians 5 with the fruits of the spirit. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there's more to consider.

When Eve was in the Garden of Eden, the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil looked good. It probably even tasted good if she was so willing to give it to Adam as well. It wasn't until after they'd eaten that they discovered how deadly the fruit really was.

Sometimes a fruit can be obviously rotten or full of worms and you know it just by looking at it. Sometimes the fruit looks great on the outside but you find out it's rotten or full of worms when you bite into it. Sometimes the fruit looks good and tastes good, but you don't know it's poisonous until it's too late (or unless someone warns you beforehand).

Not one of us is going to walk 100% in love 100% of the time. Even Peter, after being sent out, still made mistakes – that did not make him a bad tree.
We all still have times when we screw up and sin. That should not be considered continuing or exercising (by occupation) in sin or producing (continually) bad (rotten, putrid) fruit. A good tree bears good fruit, but even of the good fruit, one may spoil, in which case, the spoiled fruit should be thrown out (as the spoilage can spread).

A bad (toxic, putrid) tree cannot bear good fruit. Jesus didn't say it couldn't bear fruit, only that it couldn't bear good fruit, so it stands to reason that at least some bad trees can bear fruit of some kind. Let's take the Holly Tree (or bush, whichever you prefer) for example. It produces beautiful, red fruit – pleasing to the eye, but eat more than three berries, and you can expect a very toxic result.

In Matthew 3:8, John the Baptist says, “Bring forth fruit that is consistent with repentance [let your lives prove your change of heart]”.

When determining whether a person is producing good or bad fruit, it might be more accurate to look at Who their trust is in. Do they point people to Jesus (or at least try to), or do they draw people to themselves? Do they encourage you to trust in Jesus, or trust in them? Do they encourage you to get direction from the Lord and point you to His Word, or do they want you to hear from them?

Sometimes you just don't know how good or bad the fruit is until you've had a bite. Either way, it's sure to leave a lasting impression.

What are some other indicators of good or bad fruit?
Wow,well written and very interesting...

It is getting late,but tomorrow I wll ad my 2 cents..thanks!

Upvote 0

Powered_by_Prayer

May 21, 2006
Visit site
✟7,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a tangerine tree that used to produce good fruit about 35 years ago.

Every year, late autumn, small and deliciously sweet tangerines would ripen.

Then suddenly, about ten years ago... it began prolifically producing fruit. Not just in the autumn, but year round. HUGE tangerines the size of large oranges which smell just heavenly. I've frequently had people inquire into it when they've seen it. It just isn't that common to see what appears to be an orange tree covered with fruit around here. I always laugh and toss them one.

They are the most bitterly acrid thing you'll ever have the misfortune of tasting.

I asked a farmer why this was so. He stated that it must have been a graft, but reverted to its root.

So also it is with the nature and fruit of man.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great post, Msbojingles. :thumbsup:

What came to mind as I read that was "soil". The health of a tree depends also on how, or whether, it is fed, and by what.

As I'm not feeling too well and am only just out of bed, I'm not sure I can really develop that thought at the moment, but I leave it with you anyway.

Upvote 0

MARK777

Defender of the Faith
Nov 24, 2006
UK
✟14,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow thanks for posting this, I have recently been comprehending the exact same thing with regards to Genesis and the fall, I see it as a lot more symbolic than I originally did, I kind of see Satan as actually been the tree God commanded Adam and Eve not to eat from, he would have the knowledge of good and evil, with him first being of God and good, and then turning evil, against God, the fruits appearing to be good to eat was his words, and she did eat, and gave to Adam also, which caused spiritual seperation from God, and our fall and entering into sinful ways.

Another thing I was looking at was the 9 fruits of the Spirit;

* love (agape);
* joy (chara);
* peace (eirene);
* patience (makrothumia);
* kindness (chrestotes);
* goodness (agathosune);
* faithfulness (pistis);
* gentleness (prautes);
* self-control (egkrateia).

I see that eating from this tree of Good and evil gave them the understanding of the fruits of the Spirit and their parallel oposites, Love and hate etc.

The very Spirit God the Holy Spirit works through us as a believer now to change our hearts to operate in the way it should, which is in essense the 9 fruits of the Spirit of God, which the world in this day seems to operate in the complete opostite.

This is the cause and root of so much pain and suffering in this world, because we are all born Spiritually dead because of the seperation, we can only operate in this corrupted nature, because the soil is toxic, will effect the roots, it kind of annoys me to think that people say in this day say if God is real then why does he not reveal himself, or why is there so much pain in this world, this very truth of the fall answers the question, and he can only reveal himself to the redeamed, its a false arguement, a straw man argument you could say.

So I would say a good indicator for bad fruit is anything that is operating in oposition to the fruits of the Spirit.

Reactions: msbojingles
Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have learned to accept the growth process as from God,as I cant produce much on my own.:)

Sometimes emotional issues can seem like bad fruit to others,but lots of folks have wounds,that flare up as anger..

John 15:5
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Upvote 0

msbojingles

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
✟14,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a tangerine tree that used to produce good fruit about 35 years ago.

Every year, late autumn, small and deliciously sweet tangerines would ripen.

Then suddenly, about ten years ago... it began prolifically producing fruit. Not just in the autumn, but year round. HUGE tangerines the size of large oranges which smell just heavenly. I've frequently had people inquire into it when they've seen it. It just isn't that common to see what appears to be an orange tree covered with fruit around here. I always laugh and toss them one.

They are the most bitterly acrid thing you'll ever have the misfortune of tasting.

I asked a farmer why this was so. He stated that it must have been a graft, but reverted to its root.

So also it is with the nature and fruit of man.
Thanks for sharing - reminds me of Proverbs 26:11 and 2 Peter 2:22

Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."

What came to mind as I read that was "soil". The health of a tree depends also on how, or whether, it is fed, and by what.

As I'm not feeling too well and am only just out of bed, I'm not sure I can really develop that thought at the moment, but I leave it with you anyway.

:thumbsup: Yes, fruits reveal the "source".

Upvote 0

msbojingles

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
✟14,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
with regards to Genesis and the fall, I see it as a lot more symbolic than I originally did, I kind of see Satan as actually been the tree God commanded Adam and Eve not to eat from, he would have the knowledge of good and evil, with him first being of God and good, and then turning evil, against God, the fruits appearing to be good to eat was his words, and she did eat, and gave to Adam also, which caused spiritual seperation from God, and our fall and entering into sinful ways.

Another thing I was looking at was the 9 fruits of the Spirit;

* love (agape);
* joy (chara);
* peace (eirene);
* patience (makrothumia);
* kindness (chrestotes);
* goodness (agathosune);
* faithfulness (pistis);
* gentleness (prautes);
* self-control (egkrateia).

I see that eating from this tree of Good and evil gave them the understanding of the fruits of the Spirit and their parallel oposites, Love and hate etc.

The very Spirit God the Holy Spirit works through us as a believer now to change our hearts to operate in the way it should, which is in essense the 9 fruits of the Spirit of God, which the world in this day seems to operate in the complete opostite.

This is the cause and root of so much pain and suffering in this world, because we are all born Spiritually dead because of the seperation, we can only operate in this corrupted nature, because the soil is toxic, will effect the roots, it kind of annoys me to think that people say in this day say if God is real then why does he not reveal himself, or why is there so much pain in this world, this very truth of the fall answers the question, and he can only reveal himself to the redeamed, its a false arguement, a straw man argument you could say.

So I would say a good indicator for bad fruit is anything that is operating in oposition to the fruits of the Spirit.
That's some pretty interesting insight there - I'm still digesting it. I, too, am seeing a whole lot more in those first few chapters of Genesis than ever before. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

msbojingles

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
✟14,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have learned to accept the growth process as from God,as I cant produce much on my own.:)

Sometimes emotional issues can seem like bad fruit to others,but lots of folks have wounds,that flare up as anger..

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

So true. We call those "emotional issues" bad fruit a lot more often than we realize, I think. On the other hand, I've seen what's some really bad fruit called "good" because it appears good, and real, lasting damage has been done because people flocked to this bad fruit, thinking it was good.

He IS the vine. He's the Source, and the only way good fruit can be produced. It's Him - not us. We're not capable of ourselves to do good.

Isaiah 64:6 - ". . . our righteous acts are like filthy rags. . ."

But His are righteous.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So true. We call those "emotional issues" bad fruit a lot more often than we realize, I think. On the other hand, I've seen what's some really bad fruit called "good" because it appears good, and real, lasting damage has been done because people flocked to this bad fruit, thinking it was good.

He IS the vine. He's the Source, and the only way good fruit can be produced. It's Him - not us. We're not capable of ourselves to do good.

Isaiah 64:6 - ". . . our righteous acts are like filthy rags. . ."

But His are righteous.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

yup,it is not easy,but we can love others as we love ourselves,even the ugly part of ourselves,less projections..

no logs in our eyes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the.Sheepdog

You must be born again!
Oct 26, 2008
Sanford, FL
✟31,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Up until a few years ago I would have nightmares that seemed so much more than a dream. They were reality to me for a few seconds. I would be under the airplane only this time I would die not Jimmy. I would awake in stark raving terrors over what he must have felt. Imagine being at the point of death and realising you are not saved. It was the stuff of bad nights. my poor wife wouldnt know what to do with her crying hurt husband. She didnt realise my heart was breaking for Jimmy. I knew I was safe and saved. awful dream.

Reactions: pinetree
Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Up until a few years ago I would have nightmares that seemed so much more than a dream. They were reality to me for a few seconds. I would be under the airplane only this time I would die not Jimmy. I would awake in stark raving terrors over what he must have felt. Imagine being at the point of death and realising you are not saved. It was the stuff of bad nights. my poor wife wouldnt know what to do with her crying hurt husband. She didnt realise my heart was breaking for Jimmy. I knew I was safe and saved. awful dream.

Hi Sheepdig..thanks for sharing that.

Dreams are sooo powerful.They bring healing,yet can awaken us by night,as they seem to play by no rules.

God has brought healing to me,through them,release of pain.

Little by little friend,there is a wisdom in you that knows what He is doing.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.