Mixed marriages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zhilan

I know that the Coptic Church and the Orthodox Church have an agreement allowing marriage between members without either spouse having to convert. I was curious, are there rules regarding the children? Are the children and/or spouses allowed to receive communion and other sacraments in either Church? Can the "switch off" or should they choose one? How does that work?

Thanks!

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,050.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I do know between the Alexandrian Greek and Coptic churches, either Church is fine to take communion in (or any of the sacraments for that matter). The only issue is that it will probably be recommended to stick to one Church. But at a grassroots level, the unity of the Orthodox churches of Alexandria seem to be deep-rooted in marriage. Just think about it, if every Copt was to marry every Greek, we would be united already. ;)

But seriously, I would suppose by that example, the bishops would agree that either church will openly give the Eucharist, but would advise strongly against Church "hopping" or splitting the family into two churches. It's better that the whole family is united in all things and decisions. But I don't think there's a problem for "visiting" the "other" church once in a while and partaking of the sacraments there as well.

God bless.

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

I do know between the Alexandrian Greek and Coptic churches, either Church is fine to take communion in (or any of the sacraments for that matter). The only issue is that it will probably be recommended to stick to one Church. But at a grassroots level, the unity of the Orthodox churches of Alexandria seem to be deep-rooted in marriage. Just think about it, if every Copt was to marry every Greek, we would be united already. ;)

But seriously, I would suppose by that example, the bishops would agree that either church will openly give the Eucharist, but would advise strongly against Church "hopping" or splitting the family into two churches. It's better that the whole family is united in all things and decisions. But I don't think there's a problem for "visiting" the "other" church once in a while and partaking of the sacraments there as well.

God bless.

Thanks for the info. I agree that it is important for the family to pick one church for the family to attend as I think it's much harder to forge an identity with ones church if you are switching back and forth. I think kids really need consistency. I was sort of curious though, if say, an EO and OO get married and decide to attend as a family the OO church (or EO), would the other spouse continue to go to her old SF for the Sacraments or do both churches let you sort of de facto be part of the family church without having to convert?

Upvote 0

Lbet123

Veteran
Sep 25, 2007
✟17,055.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that the Coptic Church and the Orthodox Church have an agreement allowing marriage between members without either spouse having to convert. I was curious, are there rules regarding the children? Are the children and/or spouses allowed to receive communion and other sacraments in either Church? Can the "switch off" or should they choose one? How does that work?

Thanks!
Zhilan EO and OO we are all Orthodox. Don't believe there are any rules but I have emailed your question to the Priest at my OO Church. Lets see what he has to say.
L
:wave:

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

Zhilan EO and OO we are all Orthodox. Don't believe there are any rules but I have emailed your question to the Priest at my OO Church. Lets see what he has to say.
L
:wave:
Hey! Thanks that's really nice of you! I can't wait to hear what he says. I know and I agree that we are all Orthodox. I was just curious how it would work on the technical side of things. =)

Upvote 0

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,050.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Come to think of it, in Long Island, I've seen a Coptic friend marry a Greek guy. She agreed to stick to Greek, but I think the bishop there used Egypt as a precedent to allow intercommunion if they feel like visiting a Coptic Church. That's according to a Greek priest. Still not sure 100% though.

Upvote 0

Lbet123

Veteran
Sep 25, 2007
✟17,055.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey! Thanks that's really nice of you! I can't wait to hear what he says. I know and I agree that we are all Orthodox. I was just curious how it would work on the technical side of things. =)
OK below is the answer I got from my inquiry.

Dear L,
My understanding about the agreement between the two Orthodox families (the Eastern and the Oriental) is that they only acknowledge the baptism done by each other. Yet for marriages; confirmation (Chrismation) is still required for the one converting to the other church before officiating the marriage.
Pray for me,
Fr Younan

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

OK below is the answer I got from my inquiry.

Dear L,
My understanding about the agreement between the two Orthodox families (the Eastern and the Oriental) is that they only acknowledge the baptism done by each other. Yet for marriages; confirmation (Chrismation) is still required for the one converting to the other church before officiating the marriage.
Pray for me,
Fr Younan
Hmm...From what I was told, the agreement says neither has to convert and they can be married in either Church and the other will recognize it....

Let me see if I can find the actual document.

Upvote 0
Z

zhilan

Here we go:

the Holy Synods of both Patriarchates have agreed to accept the sacrament of marriage which is conducted in either Church with the condition that it is conducted for two partners not belonging to the same Patriarchate of the other Church from their origin. Both the Bride and the Groom should carry a valid certificate from his/her own Patriarchate that he/she has a permit of marriage and indicating the details of his/her marriage status up to date.

Each of the two Patriarchates shall also accept to perform all of its other sacraments to that new family of Mixed Christian Marriage.

http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/Pastora...k_Orthodox_Patriarchates_of_Alexandria_(2001)

So there we go! =)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.