Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mitt Romney

It appears that Mitt Romney is going to be the Republican candidate for President in 2012. Let’s try and find out some facts. I am listing below the ECONOMIC positions that Romney has taken in the past from wikipedia.

Can you add to this information from other sources?

Political positions of Mitt Romney

Economic policy
In January 2008, a comprehensive analysis by the National Taxpayers Union found that Romney's presidential campaign proposals would increase the federal budget by $19.5 billion.

Jobs plan
Mitt Romney published a far-reaching economic plan. He also claims that his average of 15,000 jobs created a year on average exceeds Obama's job creation record.

Stimulus
In January 2009, Romney said:

I think there is need for economic stimulus. Americans have lost about $11 trillion in net worth. That translates into about $400 billion a year less spending that they'll be doing, and that's net of additional government programs like Medicaid and unemployment insurance. And government can help make that up in a very difficult time. And that's one of the reasons why I think a stimulus program is needed

Romney said, however, that he did not support the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

In 2011, Romney reversed himself and repeated the charge after denying that he had ever said that Obama's actions had made the recession worse. Then on February 3rd, 2012, he managed to take both sides of the issue on the same day.

Housing market
In 2011, Romney said that
"As to what to do for the housing industry specifically, and are there things you can do to encourage housing? One is, don't try and stop the foreclosure process. Let it run its course and hit the bottom. Allow investors to buy homes, put renters in them, fix the homes up, and let it turn around and come back up. The Obama administration has slow walked the foreclosure processes that have long existed, and as a result we still have a foreclosure overhang. Number two, the credit (that) was given to first time homebuyers was insufficient and inadequate to turn around the housing market. I think it was an ineffective idea. It was a little bit like the cash-for-clunkers program, throwing government money at something which was not market oriented, did not staunch the decline in home values anymore than it encouraged the auto industry to take off. I think the idea of helping people refinance homes to stay in them is one that's worth further consideration. But I'm not signing on until I find out who's going to pay and who's going to get bailed out, and that's not something which we know all the answers to."

Auto rescue
Mitt Romney in an Op-Ed piece in the New York Times during the recession supported letting "Detroit go bankrupt". A direct quote from the Mitt Romney op-ed piece "If General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye." Mitt Romney after-the-fact supported a rescue of the auto-industry with government backed loan guarantees and warranty guarantees, preferring the corporations go through a managed restructuring process.

Deficit
"Instead of supporting spending cuts that lead to real deficit reduction and true reform of Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, the President dug deep into his liberal playbook for 'solutions' highlighted by higher taxes."

Romney opposed the Budget Control Act of 2011 during the United States debt-ceiling crisis. Romney (like several other Republican candidates) signed the "cut, cap and balance" pledge, under which an increase in the federal debt ceiling would be contingent on major cuts in spending, caps on spending, and a balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution. He opposed the debt ceiling deal struck by President Obama and congressional leaders, leading journalist Jonathan Cohn to ponder whether Romney, "a seasoned businessman who was a model of moderation as governor of Massachusetts, sincerely believes the country would be better off defaulting on its debts."

Unions
Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) has been critical of former Gov. Jennifer Granholm (D) and the United Auto Workers (UAW) union on Thursday as he took his presidential campaign to his native Michigan. "They're out there working very hard for their friend, Barack Obama," he added. "I think the union folks basically bought and paid for his last campaign, so he's taking care of them and they're taking care of him."

Campaign finance
In 2007 Romney began criticizing the McCain-Feingold Law, saying "We step into dangerous territory when politicians start eviscerating our fundamental freedoms in the name of amorphous principles, like campaign finance reform." In his 2002 gubernatorial campaign, Romney proposed taxing private political contributions in order to finance publicly funded campaigns. In his 1994 Senate campaign, Romney advocated spending limits on congressional campaigns and suggested abolishing political action committees. Romney has not given up on campaign finance, but says that McCain-Feingold does not work. He said; "The original intent of McCain-Feingold was to reduce the role of money and special interests in our political system. But on this too it has been a failure. Political spending has been driven into secret corners and more power and influence has been handed to hidden special interests. What is really needed is greater transparency, and disclosure, of campaign contributions – not more restrictions on political speech."

Trade
Romney has campaigned in support of free and fair trade and has said that America must act quickly to ensure trade and commerce, which will further strengthen and grow its own economy. He states that if America fails to act quickly, their economy will be eclipsed by these growing nations.

Romney supports getting tougher with China on trade issues and has pushed to renegotiate trade deals with China to help eliminate the Trade Deficit. Romney opposes currency manipulation by China and is willing to impose tariffs when necessary.

Minimum wage
Governor Romney has said that he favors "moderate, predictable changes" in the minimum wage linked to other indicators of growth in the economy. "I don't like the big jumps from time to time."

Unemployment insurance
In 2010, Romney said that
"A decent and humane society must have a strong safety net for the unemployed. I served for 15 years as a lay pastor in my church and saw the heartbreak of joblessness up close; a shattering loss of faith in oneself is but only one of many forms the suffering can take. Nonetheless, the vital necessity of providing for those without work should not be used as an excuse to ignore the very real problems of our unemployment system. In this, as in so many other arenas of government policy, unemployment insurance has many unintended effects.

The indisputable fact is that unemployment benefits, despite a web of regulations, actually serve to discourage some individuals from taking jobs, especially when the benefits extend across years.

The system is also not designed for a flexible economy like ours in which some employees move from job to job for short periods, and are therefore ineligible for unemployment compensation when they are faced with a protracted spell without work."

Romney instead offered two possible replacement systems, one involving individual unemployment savings accounts that employees would withdraw from when they lose their jobs, the other keyed on instituting financial incentives for businesses and other employers to hire and train those who had been unemployed for a long time.

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Mitt Romney

It appears that Mitt Romney is going to be the Republican candidate for President in 2012. Let’s try and find out some facts. I am listing below the ECONOMIC positions that Romney has taken in the past from wikipedia.

Can you add to this information from other sources?
That is so yesterday ...

... here's today's news:

Missouri
Santorum 55%
Romney 25%
Ron Paul 12%
Minnesota
Santorum 45%
Ron Paul 25%
Romney 17%
Gingrich 17%
Colorado
Santorum 40%
Romney 35%
Gingrich 13%
Ron Paul 12%

Upvote 0

Jn1010

ChWriter
Nov 23, 2011
✟15,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not like Mitt Romney. I think he buried himself when he said that he was not concerned about the poor. How calloused. Many in the middle class are being relegated to being poor due to being unemployed.

We need to care about those who do without. They need a foundation built under them so they can become productive. The best place to start is in adding resources to failing schools where children of the poor attend.

But most of all, every person who doesn't know Christ need to hear His gospel. I consider the truly poor as those who live under that fallacies of this lost and dying world.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Reply by NightHawKeye

That is so yesterday ...

... here's today's news:

Yes I know that Santorum won the states of
Missouri
Minnesota
Colorado

I am not asking for the latest news, I can get that anytime. I am asking for some reliable information about one of the most important issues (economy) in the upcoming election.

I have seen all the excitement about the latest person to beat Romney. First it was Cain, then Rick Perry, than Newt, now Santorum.

Do you know how many delegates Santorum won?
The answer is 0

Romney has 4 or 5 times as many delegates as Santorum

With this thread I was hoping to get information on Romney in regards to one of the most important issues of this political year.

The history and actions and policies of the candidates tell a LOT more than the latest 5 minute slip up or the latest win on a few states that do not even have any delegates. Making a decision on a candidate based on the spin of the media, a win that represents less than 3% of the delegates, or political pundits is very unreliable.

I hope that someone will post pertinent information on Romney’s economic policies and actions so that I can get some meaningful information.. The fact that Santorum won a few states means nothing at this point. When Santorum takes the lead then I will post reliable information on Santorum.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Romney isn't that much different from Obama when it comes to his opinions and actions, he just likes to talk as though he was more conservative then he is, much like Obama pretends to be more liberal then he really is.

I'll end up voting for Obama if Romney gets the nomination. I just don't see much point in voting in Obama with an elephant symbol when we already have one he seems to finally be figuring out what to do.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by sdmsanjose http://www.christianforums.com/t7631261/#post59764359
Interesteing, can you specify some of those actions?

Reply by Vylo
Healthcare to start.

I have heard that a lot so there must be something to that. I know that Romney had a health care plan when he was governor. Romney of course claims they are very different.

Vylo, can you tell me how they are alike or different?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yes I know that Santorum won the states of
Missouri
Minnesota
Colorado

I am not asking for the latest news, I can get that anytime. I am asking for some reliable information about one of the most important issues (economy) in the upcoming election.

I have seen all the excitement about the latest person to beat Romney. First it was Cain, then Rick Perry, than Newt, now Santorum.

Do you know how many delegates Santorum won?
The answer is 0

Romney has 4 or 5 times as many delegates as Santorum

With this thread I was hoping to get information on Romney in regards to one of the most important issues of this political year.

The history and actions and policies of the candidates tell a LOT more than the latest 5 minute slip up or the latest win on a few states that do not even have any delegates. Making a decision on a candidate based on the spin of the media, a win that represents less than 3% of the delegates, or political pundits is very unreliable.

I hope that someone will post pertinent information on Romney’s economic policies and actions so that I can get some meaningful information.. The fact that Santorum won a few states means nothing at this point. When Santorum takes the lead then I will post reliable information on Santorum.
OK ... I'll offer you some information you're not getting from the media. The Minnesota and Colorado caucuses yesterday were little different from the earlier Iowa caucuses ... despite the spin from the Romney camp which was repeated ad nauseum in the media today, those states have delegates. Technically, the delegates are un-bound ... Ron Paul makes a big deal about that ... claiming he can pick up more than his "fair share". Call me skeptical on that one. My remembrance of past conventions is that only an occasional delegate goes rogue and votes differently than expected during the convention - at least on the first vote. After the first vote though ... anything goes ... a brokered convention might be a fearful thing. [NHE shudders]

Only Missouri truly had no delegates at stake ... for reasons peculiar to Missouri law, they held a beauty contest. The Missouri caucuses will be next month ... and folks will get an opportunity to vote for real then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have heard that a lot so there must be something to that. I know that Romney had a health care plan when he was governor. Romney of course claims they are very different.

Vylo, can you tell me how they are alike or different?

Both require everyone to buy into a government medical insurace plan. Both require business with more then a certain number of employees to contribute to medical premiums.
Both aim at insuring those that cannot afford it, based on where the rank in national poverty levels.

So far the only striking difference I can find is that Obamacare wants to do away with penalties for people with pre-existing conditions.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
is some information that I found

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2011/may/18/romneycare-and-obamacare-can-you-tell-difference/

1. RomneyCare
Source: Massachusetts Department of Revenue, TIR 09-25: Individual Mandate Penalties for Tax Year 2010
Note: Both plans have individual mandates. The federal penalties start small, but eventually ramp up to $695 per year or 2.5 percent of income, whichever is higher. Eventually, federal penalties will tend to be higher than the Massachusetts plan.

2. RomneyCare
Source: Massachusetts Department of Revenue, Health Care Information for Employers
Note: Federal law exempts employers with fewer than 50 workers. Additionally, under the federal plan, employers pay fines only if their workers qualify for tax credits to buy insurance.

3. ObamaCare
Source: HealthCare.gov, Provisions of the Affordable Care Act, By Year
Note: The Massachusetts law also provides subsidized health insurance, but the income cut-off is 300 percent of the federal poverty level.

4. RomneyCare
Source: Massachusetts health care law
Note: The Massachusetts law expanded Medicaid for children. The federal law expands Medicaid to adults, but sets the cut-off at 133 percent of the federal poverty level.

5. ObamaCare
Source: HealthCare.gov, Provisions of the Affordable Care Act, By Year
Note: The Massachusetts law expanded Medicaid for children. The federal law expands Medicaid to adults, but sets the cut-off at 133 percent of the federal poverty level.

6. ObamaCare
Source: The Kaiser Family Foundation, Kaiser Health Tracking Poll, April 2011
Note: Polls show the federal law has split public opinion. Polls in Massachusetts show the program is significantly more popular.

7. ObamaCare
Source: Internal Revenue Service, Small Business Health Care Tax Credit for Small Employers
Note: Tax credits start at 35 percent of the employer's health premium costs and increase to 50 percent in 2014.

8. RomneyCare
Source: Gov. Deval Patrick, Patrick-Murphy administration proposes comprehensive health care cost containment legislation, Feb. 17, 2011; AP, Lawmakers hear bill to rein in Mass. health costs, May 16, 2011

9. ObamaCare
Source: U.S. Government Accountability Office, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Governing Board; Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), About Us

10. ObamaCare
Source: Kaiser Family Foundation, summary of new health reform law

Upvote 0