Not open for further replies.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have received several PM's about a post I made on a thread yesterday regarding First Communion.

In error I wrote that one must be confirmed in order to receive Holy Communion. Now, I realize that it is only necessary to be Baptized in the RCC, to be in a state of grace, and be at the age of reason.

My other problem... what constitutes a cradle Catholic ?

"The question I was answering stated that a couple was converting to Catholicism and has a child under three already Baptized in another Church. Does that mean the child will need to be Confirmed prior to receiving Holy Communion? I believe it does.

can this child be considered a cradle-catholic although born after the parents conversion and baptized in a different faith ?

"the child in question is under 3 and has been baptised (trinitarian christian) before our interest in converting came up....."

I messed up so gingerily on this that any help would be apprecated.

Community ?

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have received several PM's about a post I made on a thread yesterday regarding First Communion.

In error I wrote that one must be confirmed in order to receive Holy Communion. Now, I realize that it is only necessary to be Baptized in the RCC, to be in a state of grace, and be at the age of reason.

My other problem... what constitutes a cradle Catholic ?

"The question I was answering stated that a couple was converting to Catholicism and has a child under three already Baptized in another Church. Does that mean the child will need to be Confirmed prior to receiving Holy Communion? I believe it does.

can this child be considered a cradle-catholic although born after the parents conversion and baptized in a different faith ?

"the child in question is under 3 and has been baptised (trinitarian christian) before our interest in converting came up....."

I messed up so gingerily on this that any help would be apprecated.

Community ?

I'm going to give my thoughts...and keep in mind that I'm no expert...this is just coming from my own understanding of what is necessary to receive the Sacraments.

As with all Sacraments there is a process of preparation. There is not necessarily a list to be ticked off, but there are prerequisites.

For First Communion...one must be a Baptized Christian, have received the Sacrament of Reconcilliation, and have received the proper instruction on the Church's teaching as regards the Eucharist.

Confirmation is not required, and neither is specifically being Baptized in/into the Catholic Church.

This is the normal practice for Catholic children.

That being said, I believe it is acceptable practice for a child *above* the normal age of FC (it falls around second grade here) who is being received into the Church with their parents, and coming from a different faith tradition, to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation at the same time as FC. I have seen children below the age of normal Confirmation (10th grade here) receive this Sacrament.

But for a child of three...I don't see that the Sacrament is necessary, as they are not able to receive Communion anyway. A child who IS Baptized in the Church would not even receive Communion at 3.

Perhaps there is some part of the Rite that the parents are participating in that is inclusive of any children they have who are not yet of age? Do the parents not promise to raise their children in the Catholic faith? At three, they wouldn't be so very far behind anyway. :angel:

Hope that is helpful. :angel:

Peace be with you!

Sandy

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.