Mississippi School District Ordered to Desegregate Its Schools

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Don't forget the Chinatowns, Koreatowns, Tehrangeles, etc.
That's what I meant by etc.

There's nothing wrong with people tending to live near people who are like them, but if some of those racially self-segregated areas are far poorer, more dangerous and less well funded than others, it becomes a problem.

I don't know how things are these days, but as far as I know, when colored people were allowed to express their freedom from segregation, the white people mostly just up and left towards the suburbs.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, if you live south of an arbitrary line, and there was a school in your neighborhood, would you send your child further away, (north of this arbitrary line), for no other reason than to circumvent the situation?
In this situation it would depend. I wouldn't care too much sending my kids to a school that is little further away in and of itself. If my kids were attending the better school and would be forced to go to the worse school, then yeah I'd probably not be too keen about it. If my kid went to the worse school and would end up getting sent to the better school, then I'd be happy. And if you changed the direction of the line by 90 degrees, then you'd have some kids that actually end up at a closer school.

In this particular case, according to WolfGate, there doesn't seem to be a real geographic reason that one school is predominately white and one is predominately black. It seems to be it was "kids from predominately white areas go here" and "kids from predominately black areas go here even though these schools are right near each other".

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In this particular case, according to WolfGate, there doesn't seem to be a real geographic reason that one school is predominately white and one is predominately black. It seems to be it was "kids from predominately white areas go here" and "kids from predominately black areas go here even though these schools are right near each other".

Yes, I have to agree here. If there is no geographic reason to segregate the schools, then it can't be legal.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
So were black students banned from the white school?

De facto. The schools were separated by a railroad track which divided the white from the black part of town. You were assigned a school according to which side of the track you lived. However, in this particular case separate did apparently mean equal since kids in the black schools scored higher on their tests.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Should children be subject to lengthy school bus rides in order to accommodate "desegregation"

No lengthy rides involved here. Each white school was in walking distance to its black counterpart. I've seen that in Deland, Florida where the historically black middle school was right down the street from the historically white middle school. They weren't but two blocks away from one another.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Sixty-five percent of New York’s black students attend overwhelmingly nonwhite schools, compared with 45 percent in Mississippi, the report shows."

I hope we aren't confusing things here. The Mississippi School District is in Cleveland, TN not the Magnolia State.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That there are black, hispanic, white etc. areas only means that segregation is far stronger than just in schools.
but in that case the government has no say. In other words, if I choose to assicate only with whites ( my race) then really as long as I am not being violent or abusetive to others the government can do nothing about it.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
but in that case the government has no say. In other words, if I choose to assicate only with whites ( my race) then really as long as I am not being violent or abusetive to others the government can do nothing about it.
The government can, and should support initiatives that encourage integration and assimilation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The government can, and should support initiatives that encourage integration and assimilation.
Encourage, but not force. Not private individuals. Public schools, services, and businesses sure. But you can't force people to privately associate with others. That violates free will and freedom of association.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
On people's off hours they cannot. Even at work, I am only REQUIRED to work with anyone in a business setting. I do not have to go out to eat with them, invite them to my house, come to theirs speak to them on the street. I do not even have to speak to them at work other than work topics.

I, however OPPOSE afirmtive action, as well.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Encourage, but not force. Not private individuals. Public schools, services, and businesses sure. But you can't force people to privately associate with others. That violates free will and freedom of association.
Have I ever suggested forcing people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,147.00
Faith
Christian
Isn't the real problem here how schools are funded by district in the US instead of federally or by states?

Having an ethnic area which then leads to a school mimicking that ethnicity is almost inevitable. But when schools are funded out of their district, it leads to poor areas having less funding, then that's the real issue and why having poor, black schools is a problem.

Upvote 0