Ministry: How has it impacted your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do a lot of online work. How has it impacted me? Dramatically, and in many ways. It's been a real eye-opener learning just how incredibly broad and diverse Christian beliefs are.

The problem with ministry is that it's dangerous to take too much credit for the outcomes, but if you don't, it's hard to see why you bother. I've helped a few people who were wrestling with issues of faith come through their battles okay, which means a lot to me.

My specific ministry is, and probably always will be, outcasts. There are too many people that mainstream Christianity writes off as lost, or untouchable, or dirty, or something that makes it worthless to reach out to them. I spend a lot of time with these people, because they need the Gospel, and no one else will give it to them.

Upvote 0

~WildRoseCowgirl~

Jesus My Redeemer
Jun 27, 2004
✟1,977.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm involved in a lot, I like to be busy in my church. First of all I am involved in our churches library/bookstore. That has really helped me to learn how to be patient. (some people take forever to find the right book!) Second I teach Awana during the winter and that has taught me So many things.... I could never hope to put them all down, but I can say it has really helped me mature.
I also teach SS and I have learned that liitle kids need to have fun, not just sit still and listen to me. And last but not least I will be teaching this fall in our churches school, and even though it hasn't started, I already have been learning patience, and trust, and teamwork from it. (we have three teachers for pre k through 6th!)

Upvote 0

Echoes Peak

Willing Servant
Nov 4, 2003
✟8,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, I've been a missionary all summer working with youth and urban ministries.

How has it impacted me? Well, I don't think there's enough space on here to even describe how it's done that. But I know this, no matter whom I come across and what their circumstances are, I'm learning that before we were anything, whether black, white, gay, straight, drug user or whatever, we were made in the image of Christ and often, I have to be reminded of this when I struggle to deal with people who, quite honestly, get on my last nerves, sometimes:).

Upvote 0

Mary_Magdalene

AKA..Godschosengirl
Feb 3, 2004
✟30,328.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Womens ministry bible studies: people can be saved for a long time and even though they know "bible stories" from their youth, they need to learn to apply it to today. the more we stay in God's Word, the more we will really know Him.

4 year old Vacation bible school: I taught for the first time this past summer and while on a break i kept hearing other women say to each other "i am so glad im not teaching the kids under the age of 5-teaching older kids is so much more interesting. Older kids just understand more". I thought to myself-"maybe next year i will teach older kids too". Then a few days later the Lord laid it on my heart to take each student aside and pray for them in private. I did (reluctantly, as i thought "what does a 4 year old have to pray about?"). i didnt just get "boo boo" prayers but alot of serious ones. I never thought of a 4 year old having such things on their minds. God opened my eyes with this and i already told our childrens minister that i would teach the 4 year olds again next year.

Im getting ready to teach a Precept class to 5th grade and am looking forward to seeing how they learn and think (all my kids are much younger).

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is a great idea. Take inventory and evaluate it.

Currently, I am playing bass for an active Christian music ministry. There are two bands, one is a sub band within the main one, I play bass for both. This is something I do for me as much as it's a ministry to others. It's something I need an outlet for, so even though I call it ministry, it's also just plain fun.

I am ordained in the gospel ministry and I preach whenever I get a call from wherever it comes.
I lead a small group, actually the size of a small church now, and my group is very active in outside ministries, which the small group supports. We have missionaries in the group who "go" while the others support the going.
A few years ago I kicked off a coffee house ministry in my home church and I chair the committee for that growing ministry. I am on the board of a pastor support non-profit organization and becoming more active every meeting.

And, I try to give CF some time every day.

Last but not least. I love to spend time with my wife. She is as active as I so it's precious time when we get it. Spending time with your spouse is a ministry, your witness works best from a strong committed biblical marriage. Your church is better for it also.

How has this impacted me? Plenty, I get energy from doing ministry. When I take vacations I get worn out trying to make me happy, when I do ministry, I gain energy.

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
What ministries am I involved with? OK well here goes start with a list I guess

Pastor of Nehemiah Center (Friday Services)
Prison Chaplains office Northampton County (Sunday Night)
Regluar teacher @ Great Shepherd Mennonite (Wed and Sundays)
Fill in Preacher Portland Prespyterian (Sundays as needed)
4 night a week web cast (audio) with teaching (Mon, Tue, Thur, Sat plus webcast on Fridays)
Prof. Full Life Ministries Bible College
President Full Life Ministries Inc.
Elder Full Life Ministries Intl
Mod on CF
Prison Fellowship Ministries
Blessings for Obedieance Net (Amateur Radio support for Christian Missionaries)

Plus I work a day job

First off I only sleep about 4 - 6 hours a day
The day I said use me L-rd he said OK
My plate is full as you can see.
I am physically exhausted much of the time. But mentally at the top of
my game. Mind you that some of these things don't really take that much time on a week to week basis. I would not trade where I am at for anything in the world. I feel that as a minister one should pour themselves out as a drink offering. My biggest complaint is that like so many pastors in this country is that we are broke all the time. Pastor is paid last on the list and many times not at all. (Most of the time not at all)

Perhaps remember that next time the plate goes around at your church. Would you be willing to work a hundred hour week for less than minimum wage? Many pastors and I am one of them do just that week after week.

But remember I said I would not trade this for anything in the world! Because I have the great privlage of seeing people learn and grow and that is priceless!

Blessings

Pastor George :wave:

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RED that's ME said:
Ministry:

What are you personally involved in and how has it impacted your life?
The web site for my church. It hasn't really effected me. I have given of my time, and it feels really god to give back to God the talent that he gave me, but it hasn't impacted my life.

In the fall (Lord willing) I start as a Sunday School teacher, so perhaps that will impact my life.

I am the church librarian and I cut the grass on Saturdays. All worthy things and I am grateful to god for the chance, but my life to this point has not been impacted. My free time, well that is another story...LOL

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps remember that next time the plate goes around at your church. Would you be willing to work a hundred hour week for less than minimum wage? Many pastors and I am one of them do just that week after week.

But remember I said I would not trade this for anything in the world! Because I have the great privlage of seeing people learn and grow and that is priceless!
Brother, I understand.

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been blessed through my ministering.

I began earlier this year teaching a college age class at my church. We grew close and we learned a lot. I think I learned more than they did. :) The fellowship and the closeness I felt with God were awesome.

Later, I felt led to begin seeking a degree in the seminary. I have been very blessed with a job that is covering my tuition for my master's of religion degree. I have learned so much and am able to better help those in my college classes. On the flipside, I have noticed a potential pitfall of intellectualism. There is a tendency of seminary students to focus on the study and lose sight (somewhat) of the main goal of worship and relationship. I know that is a possibility with me. And now that I am aware, my focus on worship has flourished and I feel much closer to God.

I just started as mod here, which is another ministry in itself. I hope this blesses me as well as I get to know the people here better. My goal is to promote harmony between the different Christian groups and break down the animosity between groups. A big goal, but with God, nothing is impossible. :)

God bless you all,
Dave

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

P_G

Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
eldermike said:
Brother, I understand.

Hey Mike I am still working on that electric guitar too!

All those rock and roll Chrisitian Favorites
"Oh how I love Jesus"
"At the Cross"
"Bind us together"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If I ever get this chord thing toghter bro I am commin for a visit
An all preacher band! - 45 minutes of music and 5 hours of preaching!
Tag team style!

Blessings

PG :wave:

Upvote 0

To answer my own question....

I have been involved in Preschool as an assistant Sunday School teacher for both 2 and 3 Year olds and also work in the AWANA children ministry for several years with the K-5 age. I have served as a First Touch Greeter and a teen youth leader, Ladies Missionary League. I consider being a moderator here as a ministry also.

How it has impacted my life. It has shown me that children need to be taught at a early age and can be about God and sets a good foundation for them for their spiritual life. It has given me a special heart for children that I want to pursue Pediatric Nursing as a future career.
Working in the First Touch ministry at my church has shown me meeting/greeting a lot of people at the front door to see there are a lot of people that come through who are hurting and that I need to look pass some situations to reach out better.
Being a member of the Ladies Missonary League has shown me to have a heart more for foreign missions and to understand better roles of missionaries and their needs. Being a moderator here has taught me to understand other faiths better and strengthen what I believe, team working skills. Working in ministry has help me in my daily walk to search the scriptures and learn them better to be able to share it with others, my prayer life helping me to increase my prayer time for others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

P_G

Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
eldermike said:
Been playing rock and roll since I was about 14, almost as long as I have had a day job. Keep the day job.

he

Miss Bonnie tells me the same thing!

Actually my great musical love is Harmonica.
While I may not be able to get that guitar to behave for me
I can play a mean Chicago blues riff.
Actually I play on the worship team much of the time
The leader is a great gal with a stron blues background and
we can do some very very sweet work on the old hymns with a sort
of hybrid Memphis (Her style) Chicago (mine) fusion style.
We did "Are You Washed" today for communion that just was
awesome!

Blessings Mike come up this way we could use a Godly bass picker!

PG :wave:

Upvote 0
~WildRoseCowgirl~ said:
Red thats Me, do you ever go to the Awana forums?????
I have :)just to read but not to posts. I am though friends with several AWANA MIT's. :angel:

For those who might be looking for an awesome children's/teen's ministry at your church check out AWANA.
yep.gif

http://www.awana.org

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I run a nonprofit book ministry that sends Bibles and Christian materials to poor Christians and seekers around the world and establishes libraries in poor communities that don't have one.

It keeps me busy, so busy that sometimes I don't have time to think. This year I worked a fulltime job, started a 503 c 3, was executor of my dad's estate, and lead a missions team. When I finish up this year's library project, I'm taking a break!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.