Spring TX formerly Beijing, China
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
dad said:
It seems that whether the flood depositited the whole 'column' or not wouldn't matter much. If there were fossils when the 'meteor' hit, it would have been after creation, at least.

There are fossils in the rocks beneath the SilverPit crater I showed here. Since there are several thousand feet of sediment beneath that meteor crater, it had to occur when the sediment was being deposited. That means that in a young-earth scenario, the only time it could hit is during the 'flood' but that means that Noah and company would be playing dodge ball and the balls were meteors going at 20 km/sec.

One question I would have is how do we know it actually was a meteor impact in all cases? For example, how can we determine it was not actually some portal for deep earth fountains blasting up? Also, if a meteor fell in water, far from a populated area, how would this have affected Noah? Also, if there was some Walt Brownishh scwnario at work, and some rocks were blasted, not attaining orbit, would not their impact be much less?

Valkorn did a great job with this question but I would add one thing. With the Chicxulub crater the suborbital particles were so numerous as to turn the sky into a several thousand degree cover over the earth. The sky was so hot that it started fires around the earth.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since there are several thousand feet of sediment beneath that meteor crater, it had to occur when the sediment was being deposited. That means that in a young-earth scenario, the only time it could hit is during the 'flood'
Can we say for certain, then, that in the pre flood earth, no sediments were being deposited anywhwere? There were ancient seas, and lakes, and no doubt sort of swampy ares, and heaven knows what else. With a climate that would have had toads and crocodiles living in what now is the north pole region, we also have a known warm climate to work with.
that means that Noah and company would be playing dodge ball and the balls were meteors going at 20 km/sec.
Maybe, but the Director had a good early warning system, after all, He told Noah 120 years before the flood happened to start building the boat!
With the Chicxulub crater the suborbital particles were so numerous as to turn the sky into a several thousand degree cover over the earth. The sky was so hot that it started fires around the earth ..
And we know this, because, ......?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sinkholes do not create shocked quartz. You need incredible amounts of energy for that..
If you look at the quote of mine you snipped, you will find no mention of 'sinkholes'. I more had in mind for the question I posed some 'blowholes' type things, wondering if the force came from beneath possibly in some cases, rather than above?
As to the meteors in water bit: You do realize that a very large (>1 mile wide) impact in the ocean would create huge tidal waves across the entire world, and would change climate drastically?
Well, I do realize the climate indeed did change drastically! As for waves, a couple of points. Waves in the recent asian tsunami tended to be small in the open ocean, and great as they broke land. Also, how would 2 or 3 impacts around the same time play out? Could they sort of cancel out each others waves somewhat in some directions? (like the direction the ark would be). Or, during a rising or receeding of the waters, when all was not submeged, a water impact could not travel the planet! Etc
Even if it hits in the ocean somewhere that's only 10,000 feet deep, if it's a mile wide it'll hit the bottom of the ocean floor within a fraction of a second
A mile wide? How many of these do you know about, and how can we say they actually were meteors exactly? It sounds to me like some presumptions are way off here! If you were God would you do this, and if so, why?

Upvote 0

Crux

Feb 7, 2005
✟133.00
Faith
Baptist
Food for thought. I am still not too sure about the size of the meteors vs ocean depth, and I still think that there would not be crests. I'd like to look closer at the energy of the meteors and the basis for the calcs (I'm an engineer, and one important thing that you learn is: define the boundary conditions. the energy numbers will be based on some assumptions, and the assumptions will determine the answer more than anything else.)
ie, how did they decide the speed? based on current meteors? that's not valid. based on depth of penetration? if so what did they assume for the strength of the rock? all supposition. What if earth had 2 moons? (i'm not actually suggesting that, by the way) would it's break up be low velocity collisions? who knows (actually that didn't happen, i'm just saying the basis for boundary conditions/assumptions changes the results)

on that list, a 140 km meteor...... that's huge. my brain can't get around that one.

Upvote 0

grmorton

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
dad said:
Can we say for certain, then, that in the pre flood earth, no sediments were being deposited anywhwere? There were ancient seas, and lakes, and no doubt sort of swampy ares, and heaven knows what else. With a climate that would have had toads and crocodiles living in what now is the north pole region, we also have a known warm climate to work with.

this shows the extreme plasticity of the YEC position. They say that fossils can only form because of rapid deposition, but then, when it is needed, they allow fossils to form in the preflood world. Which is it Dad? Are you purely an ad hoc kinda guy?

Maybe, but the Director had a good early warning system, after all, He told Noah 120 years before the flood happened to start building the boat!

so God told Noah where to steer the boat 120 years before the flood? Get real. How silly. How stupid.

I had written: With the Chicxulub crater the suborbital particles were so numerous as to turn the sky into a several thousand degree cover over the earth. The sky was so hot that it started fires around the earth ..

Dad replied:

And we know this, because, ......?

Once again, another totally ignorant statement. Do you know the temperature of re-entry for an orbiting satellite? It is up to 14,000 C. But that is only one object entering the atmosphere. There isn't much heat radiated to earth by such an event.

However, Mr. I-won't-think-about-what-I-write-on-Christian-forums-before-I-write-about-it, If you have hundreds of thousands of rocks, projected into suborbital trajectories, all re-entering the earth's atmosphere at the same time, the entire sky would be radiating at 14,000 C. It would fry the earth. Your ignorance knows no bounds.

Upvote 0

grmorton

Sep 19, 2004
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Crux said:
Food for thought. I am still not too sure about the size of the meteors vs ocean depth, and I still think that there would not be crests. I'd like to look closer at the energy of the meteors and the basis for the calcs (I'm an engineer, and one important thing that you learn is: define the boundary conditions. the energy numbers will be based on some assumptions, and the assumptions will determine the answer more than anything else.)
ie, how did they decide the speed? based on current meteors? that's not valid. based on depth of penetration? if so what did they assume for the strength of the rock? all supposition. What if earth had 2 moons? (i'm not actually suggesting that, by the way) would it's break up be low velocity collisions? who knows (actually that didn't happen, i'm just saying the basis for boundary conditions/assumptions changes the results)

on that list, a 140 km meteor...... that's huge. my brain can't get around that one.

Gene Shoemaker discovered an empirical law which scales the crater size to the megatons. Shoemaker was the geologist who worked on nuclear explosions. That is why we know how much energy a given crater required.

And don't forget numerical simulatoin, which is quite accurate today. Airplanes are designed using such techniques and they fly relatively quickly upon manufacture.

Upvote 0

Ben Borg Again

Dec 21, 2004
earth, milky way galaxy, 3-D Universe
✟16,720.00
Faith
Unitarian
Politics
US-Green
A obviouse explination for the Craters...
When the fallen angels fell from Heaven, they hit the earth so hard they produced what humanist scientists mistakely call "craters". The energy released from the impact of a fallen angel was supernaturally transfered to the center of the earth ( this is how Hell has aquired its neverending sourse of heat and energy)
When the angels became fallen, it caused a anti-matter like reaction between the forces of Sin and Holiness. The assembly of fallen angels in heaven exploded in every direction in the Universe at almost the speed of light,repeled by the Forces of Good. spewing demons in every direction and showered the earth ( and surrounding planets) with Evil.

Upvote 0