✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

So recently Facebook has now changed it's name to Meta and I am seriously showing my age in that I have no idea what this is about.

Can anyone break it down for me but from a Christian perspective as to what it is and how concerned I should be as a parent. :)

Thanks all

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

So recently Facebook has now changed it's name to Meta and I am seriously showing my age in that I have no idea what this is about.

Can anyone break it down for me but from a Christian perspective as to what it is and how concerned I should be as a parent. :)

Thanks all

Immersive experience through augmented reality (seeing stuff that isn't there projected on a screen or glasses etc, e.g. holding your phone in front of something and having popups that relate to what you are seeing through the phone's camera lens), holograms, interactive everything. The basic idea seems to be that everything you want is right there with you - holograms of colleagues instead of video conferencing and the same for recreational type things, shared VR gaming and what have you. Meta as in over all and in all, a way of living that means never leaving your mum's basement.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Thanks all
Over the years, Facebook has established a pattern of ever increasing immersion in people's lives. The algorithms they operate on are designed to manipulate our actions and these algorithms, although artificial, are increasingly intelligent. Although, the aspect of manipulation alone is troubling enough, even more concerning is their manipulation toward a politically leftist ideology. Facebook has popularized the term 'deplatformed' as they suppress access to conservative content in the name of 'social 'justice'. I mention this because we need to understand that Facebook has transformed into a potent leftist political engine geared towards manipulating not only our clicks, but our ideologies. So, Facebook's devices of further immersing our lives into its algorithm-driven metaverse are further opportunities for Facebook to manipulate our thoughts and lives.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Immersive experience through augmented reality (seeing stuff that isn't there projected on a screen or glasses etc, e.g. holding your phone in front of something and having popups that relate to what you are seeing through the phone's camera lens), holograms, interactive everything. The basic idea seems to be that everything you want is right there with you - holograms of colleagues instead of video conferencing and the same for recreational type things, shared VR gaming and what have you. Meta as in over all and in all, a way of living that means never leaving your mum's basement.
Thanks for this Tom :thumbsup:

On the one hand this looks brill (I had been contracted to work with one of the big tech companies many years ago where they were exploring immersive technology in the classroom). How close do you reckon they are to simulating that (e.g. holographic office meeting etc)?

Yet my 'Mother Spidey sense' has been going off all crazy when I read about this recently. I think I should not have seen the Spielberg movie "Ready Player One", lol but especially with the way in which my family adopted quite immersive games during covid lockdown last year.

I may dig into this a little more.

Appreciate what you've shared here and many thanks again

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Over the years, Facebook has established a pattern of ever increasing immersion in people's lives. The algorithms they operate on are designed to manipulate our actions and these algorithms, although artificial, are increasingly intelligent. Although, the aspect of manipulation alone is troubling enough, even more concerning is their manipulation toward a politically leftist ideology. Facebook has popularized the term 'deplatformed' as they suppress access to conservative content in the name of 'social 'justice'. I mention this because we need to understand that Facebook has transformed into a potent leftist political engine geared towards manipulating not only our clicks, but our ideologies. So, Facebook's devices of further immersing our lives into its algorithm-driven metaverse are further opportunities for Facebook to manipulate our thoughts and lives.
Thank you Royal Priest :thumbsup:

This is one of my 'trains of thought' as well. Who is coding the algorithms/training the A.I.? Have they got any believers involved in this, at this stage of development? Will these virtual environments have room for people of faith (or will it be locked out or monitored)?

So many questions adding to a semi excitement at the prospect.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for this Tom :thumbsup:

On the one hand this looks brill (I had been contracted to work with one of the big tech companies many years ago where they were exploring immersive technology in the classroom). How close do you reckon they are to simulating that (e.g. holographic office meeting etc)?

Yet my 'Mother Spidey sense' has been going off all crazy when I read about this recently. I think I should not have seen the Spielberg movie "Ready Player One", lol but especially with the way in which my family adopted quite immersive games during covid lockdown last year.

I may dig into this a little more.

Appreciate what you've shared here and many thanks again

I don't know how far along any of it is beyond the actual still limited uses of VR/AR and holograms. I think the main concerns are to do with privacy and a loss of personal interaction, things like being able to 'tag' people with floating data about their political affiliation or anything else, in AR, and people essentially living in human contact free environments much of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0