Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thats wonderful!!!! Im soooo excited for you!

Indeed, mazal tov, visionary. May you and your family be benefited by any creative juices you've got flowing. I'm sure you're aware that many of us are envious of those who have the patience to sit down and pound out a novel. Good luck with your writing!

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Heber

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2008
✟21,923.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
YM maybe a decent dictionary of 'English' English might help you. If I told someone to get off their ass it would be because they are riding a donkey. If I was implying that they were lazy in would be a different word altogether, a word which I do not think I would be allowed to type here.

The fact you may not have heard a particular phrase or term does not mean that the person using it is incorrect. It merely means that, as in this case, you have succumbed to the use preferred by a particular group of people and now think, quite incorrectly, that is its only use. That you may feel awkward using it in the way it was meant to be used probably says more about you and the society you live in, than that the phrase is no longer applicable in any other way in modern usage.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
YM maybe a decent dictionary of 'English' English might help you. If I told someone to get off their ass it would be because they are riding a donkey. If I was implying that they were lazy in would be a different word altogether, a word which I do not think I would be allowed to type here.

The fact you may not have heard a particular phrase or term does not mean that the person using it is incorrect. It merely means that, as in this case, you have succumbed to the use preferred by a particular group of people and now think, quite incorrectly, that is its only use. That you may feel awkward using it in the way it was meant to be used probably says more about you and the society you live in, than that the phrase is no longer applicable in any other way in modern usage.

See definition number 2 for your preferred word in the Oxford Dictionary (Oxford Dictionaries Online - English Dictionary and Thesaurus) and the second entry in Merriam-Webster (Merriam-Webster Online). I guess these don't count as "decent" dictionaries? How about the American Heritage dictionary at dictionary.reference.com? Is that good enough? It traces the etymology of the word from a-r-s-e (why can't we spell that word out?!) and shows that it comes from old Irish err (meaning "tail"). The word surely has history in this usage and all of the dictionaries have this as a standard meaning. It was used as a variant of a-r-s-e before the year 1000 A.D., according to the American Heritage Dictionary.

Both etymology and general usage are against you on this, yet you will surely not accept that, since you've obviously chosen to be obtuse about a completely trivial matter.

As is always the case, accepted usage (not individual spin, for sure) is the determining factor in deciding the meaning of a word. Etymology comes in second place. Both are on the side of a** being an actual English word meaning "posterior", "bottom" or "bum".

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Errm - you were the one who started this debate about a 'completely trivial matter', not me! Your self condemnation is noted.

Nope. It's one thing to correct someone's usage (no one uses "come out of the closet" to mean "come from all places at once", as in "come out of the wordwork"). I offered correction, and you turned it into a diatribe about how you hate modern usage of certain phrases and words. And then you claimed that modern usage was wrong, insisting on antiquated usage.

It doesn't matter. I'm finished if you are. Agreed? Let's give back the thread to its topic, which was fine in and of itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Good grief.. why do the rich and powerful take even the crumbs..
yeh her story was about a star struck "nurse" who kidnapps her favorite author and torchurs him till he finishes his last novel, all the gorry details included......sound familiar?

Upvote 0

Ahavah

Old School
Nov 4, 2004
✟9,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Whew..It's been awhile...but yeah...I thought I'd stop in a say.."HellOOoOooO." :)

So what's up with me and my family...well...My kids are all getting bigger by the day. Michiah is going on 17...Chana is 8 and Ahavah is now 5.
We've been traveling and moving so many times in the past few years, I wake up in the morning sometimes and wonder where I really am.

Anyway, my new love is Holistic medicine. I make my own infused oils from herbs and make healing salves for joints and muscles. I often go to vending events to sell my stuff. I'm also into gluten free/lactose free foods. Since Ahavah was born, my body just can't handle wheat of dairy anymore.

Not much else going on...just trying to enjoy life as much as possible before 2012 hits. Not that I think it's the end of the world or anything, but something could happen before or after that may make us wake up and realize that life isn't the way It used to be.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ahavah :wave: long time no see!

Have you been tested for Celiac? I found out I have it about 5 years ago and have been GF ever since. It is an ongoing battle but already eating Kosher and organic what's one more thing? :) Seems gluten is worst than leaven, it's in everything!

My hubby has been using some herbals for leg shakes and it works wonderfully. I also got him something for arthritis pain but that isn't working so good. His mother had RA and I think he's got it too. He has feared this for some time. It's getting worst and I wish I could help him with something organic and natural. Do you have anything for that?

Nice to see you again,
Lulav

Upvote 0

Ahavah

Old School
Nov 4, 2004
✟9,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lulav? It has been a Looong time. :wave:Good to see you.
It's amazing how time flies the older you get. I'm going to be 40 next year..and boy..am I feeling it already.;)
I think my little ones add to my age. LOL

No, I have not been tested for Celiac dieses, but as soon as I eat any wheat products or gluten..bam..I get itchy exzema all over my fingers and other parts of my body. I did the elimation diet since I had no clue what was wrong with me for so long..and FINALLY figured it out.
Keep away from the Wheat!

Dairy has it's own problems. I do take enzymes for that however, so I can actually eat a few foods that have dairy in them, but still it isn't fun watching everything you eat.

As for arthritis pain, I do make a Joint and Muscle rub with Arnica, yucca root, White willow bark (natural and safe asprin for the stomach) and many other healing herbs. I infuse the oils for about 6 months and then make may own salve out that using candulla wax. I used to use bees wax, but alot of Vegans wanted to use it, but wouldn't buy it since they sometimes consider bee products as a big no no. Go figure?

I actually made it first for my hubby when he found out he had some bone spurs in his back.The doctors said that he should do surgery, but it wasn't a guarentee that it would really work.
He was in alot of pain, so I decided..let's go holistic.
This Rub really works.
If you want more info, just message me. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
Hi Lulav? It has been a Looong time. :wave:Good to see you.
It's amazing how time flies the older you get. I'm going to be 40 next year..and boy..am I feeling it already.;)
I think my little ones add to my age. LOL

No, I have not been tested for Celiac diseases, but as soon as I eat any wheat products or gluten..bam..I get itchy eczema all over my fingers and other parts of my body. I did the elimination diet since I had no clue what was wrong with me for so long..and FINALLY figured it out.
Keep away from the Wheat!

Dairy has it's own problems. I do take enzymes for that however, so I can actually eat a few foods that have dairy in them, but still it isn't fun watching everything you eat.

As for arthritis pain, I do make a Joint and Muscle rub with Arnica, yucca root, White willow bark (natural and safe aspirin for the stomach) and many other healing herbs. I infuse the oils for about 6 months and then make may own salve out that using candulla wax. I used to use bees wax, but alot of Vegans wanted to use it, but wouldn't buy it since they sometimes consider bee products as a big no no. Go figure?

I actually made it first for my hubby when he found out he had some bone spurs in his back.The doctors said that he should do surgery, but it wasn't a guarantee that it would really work.
He was in alot of pain, so I decided..let's go holistic.
This Rub really works.
If you want more info, just message me. ;)
Just massage you...lol.. sorry couldn't resist.. so good to hear from you.. That arthritic pain remedy that you have cooked up sounds good..:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Ahavah

Old School
Nov 4, 2004
✟9,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Just massage you...lol.. sorry couldn't resist.. so good to hear from you.. That arthritic pain remedy that you have cooked up sounds good..:thumbsup:
Hi Vis, good to see ya around too.:wave: It's been a Looong time.
As for that organic salve I make...it smells like pumpkin pie since I cinamon and clove in it. both good for circulation. better smelling than tiger balm anyday.;) And works even better. :p

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi, Tish and everyone.

Today is the first time I have been back since last Sept; and just happen to get a PM today; what a coincidence!

My youngest child just graduated from HS a few weeks ago. His older sisters moved out last summer but only live a couple miles from home.

I have been struggling with fibro and lower back pain, but have made some positive changes in dr's and rx changes recently and I'm climbing out of the fog.

Wife and I are still active at our worship team at church.

Peace to everyone,

Upvote 0