Meet LUCA, the Last Universal Common Ancestor. Still Alive!

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,899.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd say zealots, true believers, they act like the villagers confronting the Frankinstein monster.

followed by

I took the time to point out the thread is one ad hominem after another, Not one post, not one comment on topic. Yea I misread the article, silly but it happens. Its actually an interesting topic in untill it gets smothered is fallacious rhetoric.

Is that not a tad hypocritical Mark?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This intrigued me:

only 355 (genes) met their criteria for having probably originated in Luca, the joint ancestor of bacteria and archaea. (Meet Luca, the Ancestor of All Living Things)​

How interesting that the Last Universal Common Ancestor is still alive, living, 'in deep sea vents or the flanks of volcanoes', and doing fine. They must have taken really good care of themselves, four billion years and they are still the same yet ancestors to all life. Darwinian recapitulation, pure and simple.

Have a nice day :)
Mark
Um, no, evolution theory doesn't require change. If their environment has remained stable, there's no reason to expect much genetic drift.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,385.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm just waiting for the trolls to get bored, maybe have an adult conversation.
Seriously?

You have made numerous false statements as to what I think and believe and then refused to provide evidence to support those false statements.

I have asked a serious question that you have refused to answer. Here it is again: do you, Mark Kennedy, given the foolish misreading of a straightforward article, consider it possible that you have also misread and misunderstood other aspects of evolutionary theory.

This also bears repeating: do you acknowledge that rapidly reading an article, misunderstanding it, posting based upon that misunderstanding, then refusing at first to accept that misunderstanding, constitutes in total a sloppy approach to science, even for an amateur?

My apologies to other members for returning to this thread after I said I was done, but the continual obfuscation and derailment being practiced by Kennedy cannot go unremarked.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suggest you read the article. Its pretty straightforward.
Interesting pack of lies. Amazing how many lies can be stuffed into one article with no support.

"

Meet Luca, the Ancestor of All Living Things
This venerable ancestor was a single-cell, bacterium-like organism

.. From Dr. Martin’s data, it is clear that Luca could manage the complicated task of synthesizing proteins. So it seems unlikely that it could not also synthesize simpler components, even though the genes for doing so have not yet been detected,

...Dr. Sutherland, working from basic principles of chemistry, has found that ultraviolet light from the sun is an essential energy source to get the right reactions underway, and therefore that land-based pools, not the ocean, are the most likely environment in which life began.

....Genes that do the same thing in a human and a mouse are generally related by common descent from an ancestral gene in the first mammal. So by comparing their sequence of DNA letters, genes can be arranged in evolutionary family trees,

.. Late Heavy Bombardment, which occurred 4 billion to 3.8 billion years ago. This was a rain of meteorites that crashed into Earth with such force that the oceans were boiled off into an incandescent mist.

Unsupported fables.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Um, no, evolution theory doesn't require change. If their environment has remained stable, there's no reason to expect much genetic drift.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say but what interested me about the article was not selective pressure but the genes the researchers think all living things have in common.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting pack of lies. Amazing how many lies can be stuffed into one article with no support.

"

Meet Luca, the Ancestor of All Living Things
This venerable ancestor was a single-cell, bacterium-like organism

.. From Dr. Martin’s data, it is clear that Luca could manage the complicated task of synthesizing proteins. So it seems unlikely that it could not also synthesize simpler components, even though the genes for doing so have not yet been detected,

...Dr. Sutherland, working from basic principles of chemistry, has found that ultraviolet light from the sun is an essential energy source to get the right reactions underway, and therefore that land-based pools, not the ocean, are the most likely environment in which life began.

....Genes that do the same thing in a human and a mouse are generally related by common descent from an ancestral gene in the first mammal. So by comparing their sequence of DNA letters, genes can be arranged in evolutionary family trees,

.. Late Heavy Bombardment, which occurred 4 billion to 3.8 billion years ago. This was a rain of meteorites that crashed into Earth with such force that the oceans were boiled off into an incandescent mist.

Unsupported fables.
Its pretty dramatic, as all mythology must be. Bacteria can live in extreme heat, Old Faithfull for instance has populations of extremephiles, as they are called. So the scenario has them in under water super heated vent as meteorites pelt the primordial oceans into a mist. Probable in a reducing (hydrogen rich) atmosphere. Seems an unlikely place for emerging living populations to enjoy a lot of selective advantages.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am curious as to what proof they have that the earth was pelted to a degree the oceans turned to mist.
I was paraphrasing the last quote in your post. But, this kind of speculation is usually from some convoluted geological theory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you are trying to say but what interested me about the article was not selective pressure but the genes the researchers think all living things have in common.
I'm trying to say exactly what I said. Lack of change over time does not contradict evolutionary theory in stable environments.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was paraphrasing the last quote in your post. But, this kind of speculation is usually from some convoluted geological theory.
So you are not convinced they really know what they are talking about either. Since I see no one defending or explaining the nitty gritty here, one assumes that it is indefensible. As for the 355 genes that supposedly created all life on earth in the never neverland of the misty past, I wonder what those same genes are creating today?

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you are not convinced they really know what they are talking about either. Since I see no one defending or explaining the nitty gritty here, one assumes that it is indefensible. As for the 355 genes that supposedly created all life on earth in the never neverland of the misty past, I wonder what those same genes are creating today?

I see, the article was to advanced for you.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see, the article was to advanced for you.
No. No excuse for your evading here. Do you think it is clever to imagine that all the magic changes not happening today to any great extent happened in imaginary time with no witnesses or proof??

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,899.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No. No excuse for your evading here. Do you think it is clever to imagine that all the magic changes not happening today to any great extent happened in imaginary time with no witnesses or proof??

That is easily the most ironic post I've read on Christian Forums, well done!

Have a Golden Facepalm.....

upload_2016-9-2_10-56-40.png

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.