May 19, 2005
Texas
✟1,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Globalnomad said:
Sorry guys, I still have a problem with this passage. Let's dig deeper, please.

As Milkman has pointed out, he has done all the things you listed - yet he is forgiven, since he has repented. So it cannot be simply that. And it doesn't make sense that it should be anything tied to being "unrepentant", because heck, even missing a Sunday Mass will not be forgiven you, if if you remain unrepentant until death! As for that priest on EWTN, he ends up basically denying that there is anything at all that cannot be forgiven if you repent. Thus simply denying the validity of this passage.

So there is still something we are not getting. Can anyone shed more light?

You might be right about the unforgivable sin not being just any unrepentent sin. Since Jesus was clearly talking about blasphemy it can't be just any sin. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong but missing Sunday mass does not count as blasphemy. Correct? So rather, it sounds as if unrepentent blasphemy of the Son of God unto death would constitute blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Maybe thats why Jesus was warning them the way He did. The Pharisees still had a chance to repent. But if they blasphemed the Son of God to their death and rejected the Light of Life then maybe they might be guilty of the eternal sin.

Holy Father, thank you for your unfailing love. May not one of your sheep be lost. Amen. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Isaias 45;
7 I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things. 8 Drop down dew, ye heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain the just: let the earth be opened, and bud forth a saviour: and let justice spring up together: I the Lord have created him. 9 Woe to him that gainsayeth his maker, a sherd of the earthen pots: shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it: What art thou making, and thy work is without hands? 10 Woe to him that saith to his father: Why begettest thou? and to the woman: Why dost thou bring forth?

7 "Create evil"... The evils of afflictions and punishments, but not the evil of sin.
http://www.drbo.org/chapter/27045.htm

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ToxicReboMan said:
You might be right about the unforgivable sin not being just any unrepentent sin. Since Jesus was clearly talking about blasphemy it can't be just any sin. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong but missing Sunday mass does not count as blasphemy. Correct? So rather, it sounds as if unrepentent blasphemy of the Son of God unto death would constitute blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Maybe thats why Jesus was warning them the way He did. The Pharisees still had a chance to repent. But if they blasphemed the Son of God to their death and rejected the Light of Life then maybe they might be guilty of the eternal sin.

Holy Father, thank you for your unfailing love. May not one of your sheep be lost. Amen. :crossrc:

Ad mortem, 1 John 5; 16.
The differences between mortal and venial sins, and the reason we pray for souls in purgatory..etc

Ok, now Blasphemy comes in a few forms...and if you are caught {dead} in those sins you cannot be forgiven in this life or the one to come.

Denial of Him.
Denial He is Trinitarian and is God. {Only God can be blasphemed in such}
And suicide.

Now...you can be forgiven not believing, as the rest of scripture tells us we can..
However; if you die a non believer, then you cannot be forgiven..
I add if you read John then he tells us not to pray for them, with these mortal sins.

Ok, self explanatory how one commits suicide and cannot be forgiven, and they also deny the mercy of the Lord, the Holy Spirit's grace...

And to deny the Holy Spirit exists in the Triune God, is again, denial of Him.

BUT the absolute ONLY one that we cannot be forgiven for is suicide. Unless of course we die not believing in God.
Repentence cannot come after the fact in suicide.
WE can repent our sins, but not if we shoot our brains out.

Once you die, you are receiving judgement... how can one repent when they are in judgement. It is not done..so heed the warnings and repent while there is 'TIME'.

{Time is an earthly measure BTW}

O, Milkman.,...the footnote I gave twice means God creates natural disasters... he creates affliction and calamity when he destroyed such as the flood, and the S&G incident.

So, God is not evil...men are evil. He just causes the necessary afflictions to remove them.

Peace!

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
TheMilkman said:
I still feel it is off topic, but lets harp on this if you wish.

Please show me a site that has translations of Hebrew word Rah as anything besides evil?

I normally would not send someone to this site, but this article is fairly good http://www.carm.org/diff/Isa_45_7.htm

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
TheMilkman,

If I may comment, I think you are going through what a lot of converts do. The past still weighs on them and for whatever reason, psychological or spiritual, something is telling them they aren't good enough to be a Christian or it doesn't matter anyways because they've committed some horrible sin.

If you are going to be a Catholic, a Christian, the first then you need to do is realize you are forgiven. That is seemingly one of the easiest things to do, but in fact, it is one of the hardest.
We can either play games with ourselves, looking for reasons why we aren't forgiven or truly appreciate what God offers.
Some people think their prayers aren't good enough, some people think their confession wasn't good enough.

In times like these, I just remember two apostles, Peter and Judas. Both men were actually there with Jesus, they saw His power for themselves, just as 2000 years later we see the power of God in ourselves and in others. Both men betrayed Jesus. Judas was unable to forgive himself for what he had done. Even though, like many of us, he was sorry and filled with guilt, he couldn't convince himself that he was forgiven. Once Jesus was dead, he had went and killed himself.

Peter, despite denying the Lord three times, even after being told he would, found the power to realize he was forgiven. As we see in John, Chapter 21, he was able to speak with Jesus after the Resurrection and made it up to him, confessing his love three times. How much more wonderful would it have been if Judas was there with him too?

We can either choose to be like Peter or Judas for our sins. One night I found it very moving to read aloud the later half of John 21, saying the words of Peter. Cursing or denying God is not unforgivable. We are all offered far more grace and opportunities than we use.
You've been given a gift, it is up to your faith in God and His power to make the most of it. Don't let mind-game obsessions about one sentence take that away from you. It is not just about you either, that gift can touch a lot of other people too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.