Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
McCain Poised to Flip on GOP Abortion Platform

In '00 and '07, McCain Called for Exceptions in GOP's Platform on Abortion for Rape, Incest, Mother's Life

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=4824779&page=1

I'm going to get to work a bit here.

I understand that the GOP stands for making abortion illegal or simply overturning Roe v. Wade...

Let me be clear that this is a platform I strongly agree with.

However, one could rightly tie the platform to some sort of long term plan. Which, currently, McCain's positions could be the definitive in an interim step, without being nearly as divisive.

Unfortunately, it seems, some of our Christian brethren, lack a long term perspective on work that needs done, or, at least, that is what the party seems to be implying here.

I would say you could have an additional interim step including parental notification and full disclosure of the procedure. As well as sex discrimination, counseling, and genetic discrimination regulations.

These platforms would likely appeal, immediately, to more moderate voters, and quickly erode the issue.

Any thoughts?

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟453,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thoughts?

I say we tie up all the politicians and send them down the river
and then we get some 'REAL CHOICES'...

Sorry, this whole election years stinks BAD.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thoughts?

I agree. This election year does stink badly. None of the candidates are very good candidates. But we must vote for the lesser of the three evils.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If McCain changes his mind, I vote for Obama.
I would love to see a constitutional amendment regarding life from conception to natural death.

But, I don't understand why your vote is so easily changed, by a largely ineffectual change during this election cycle (GOP aren't powerful enough for this amendment, especially because of unformed consciences among Catholics and the weakening of evangelical moral teachings).

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I would love to see a constitutional amendment regarding life from conception to natural death.

But, I don't understand why your vote is so easily changed, by a largely ineffectual change during this election cycle (GOP aren't powerful enough for this amendment, especially because of unformed consciences among Catholics and the weakening of evangelical moral teachings).

Because McCain's position is the slippery slope. People of character do not change their positions. If he changes his mind, I am changing mine.

Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Because McCain's position is the slippery slope. People of character do not change their positions. If he changes his mind, I am changing mine.

Wait...

Let me just make sure that I have this correct....

You want McCain to change the platform to say that abortion is ok in certain instances? :confused:

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wait...

Let me just make sure that I have this correct....

You want McCain to change the platform to say that abortion is ok in certain instances? :confused:

No, I voted for Bush in the last election soley on the issue of abortion and will vote for McCain soley on that issue also.

So, for now my vote is for McCain, but if he slides on abortion then I vote for Obama.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No, I voted for Bush in the last election soley on the issue of abortion and will vote for McCain soley on that issue also.

So, for now my vote is for McCain, but if he slides on abortion then I vote for Obama.

Oh, ok, I got what you're saying now. (Took me a mintue :doh:).

Single issue voter. Cool.

Doesn't the National Right to Life allow for the exceptions of rape, incest, and the mother's life? :confused:

Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I wish they would just give the power back to the states to decide.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Which is why we have to have a president that will appoint judges to the Supreme Court that will not legislate from the bench! We have to overturn Roe v. Wade and send it back to the states. :)

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But, Senator Obama supports abortion on demand (no regulation)?

So, I repeat:

Thus, the "flip-flop" would have no effect.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh, ok, I got what you're saying now. (Took me a mintue :doh:).

Single issue voter. Cool.

Doesn't the National Right to Life allow for the exceptions of rape, incest, and the mother's life? :confused:

You need to look at the facts. All of those cicumstances are less than a percentage of abortions. Even in late term abortions the number one reason is a change in the relationship between the parents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure I see the quandry here. McCain has never wanted to make abortion illegal. He wants to reverse Roe V Wade in such a way that it doesn't make abortion illegal but rather that it makes it a state issue which means he would have no control over the matter.

If McCain was pro-life he would be insisting on the defense of the dignity of the unborn person at the federal level rather than trying to obscure the issue making it 50 times more difficult to make illegal.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thoughts?

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You are oh, so right!

On a more positive note, hope you have a great day. You probably will if you don't think about our wonderful choices huh. :D

-Peace-

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. This election year does stink badly. None of the candidates are very good candidates. But we must vote for the lesser of the three evils.

:confused: So if you have a choice between 2 demons you'd still pick one of them?

Maybe at some point the system is so broken that abstinence is the only faithful choice~on the ballot vote only for those you believe will do a good job (maybe governor, senator, mayor, etc) and leave blank where there is no true choice. You are not obligated to select when your choices are dung and manure.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
P

PeterTheGimp

McCain Poised to Flip on GOP Abortion Platform

In '00 and '07, McCain Called for Exceptions in GOP's Platform on Abortion for Rape, Incest, Mother's Life

I'm going to get to work a bit here.

I understand that the GOP stands for making abortion illegal or simply overturning Roe v. Wade...

Let me be clear that this is a platform I strongly agree with.

However, one could rightly tie the platform to some sort of long term plan. Which, currently, McCain's positions could be the definitive in an interim step, without being nearly as divisive.

Unfortunately, it seems, some of our Christian brethren, lack a long term perspective on work that needs done, or, at least, that is what the party seems to be implying here.

I would say you could have an additional interim step including parental notification and full disclosure of the procedure. As well as sex discrimination, counseling, and genetic discrimination regulations.

These platforms would likely appeal, immediately, to more moderate voters, and quickly erode the issue.

Any thoughts?

If the Republican Party was sincerely interested in ending abortion one would assume that there would have been something done during GWB's first term, when the GOP held the White House, both the House and the Senate and had installed a new Chief Justice of the Supreme court.

Their failure to act on this matter when the GOP was in control of all three branches of the government severely damages their credibility.

I am seeing politics as usual rather than the GOP with the moral high ground

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.