May I pray for you?

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
Often times in my interactions with religious folks over religion (actually almost always) has the encounter end with them praying for me but only after asking for permission first.

Why do you ask for permission to pray for me - I understand this when it is the prayer that involves physical contact, that makes perfect sense, but what I don't get is when it does not. Especially if the prayer is to take place later when I am not in the vicinity.

Why do you ask for permission?

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
From Colorado, currently in the UK
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If prayer produces an effect (ie. draws you closer to God, allows you to find peace with a current situation), then presumably they ask permission for them to, potentially, alter the direction of your life. Even if the effect is purely positive, it is still polite to ask first.

Although I confess that if you do not believe in the power of prayer then you may find it a little puzzling why they bother :)

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Why do you ask for permission?

I think most Christians do this in order to let you know that they are praying. If you say no, they will probably go ahead anyway, so what they are doing is actually not what we are told to do by Our Lord.

We are told not to pray in public, and make a great show of it before other people, but to go into our rooms and pray in private.

So the Christian way to behave, therefore, is to not say anything to you about prayer, but to pray for you if they feel moved by the Spirit to do so, without telling you about it.

Upvote 0

Blackrend

Jul 10, 2008
✟8,148.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Personally, it annoys me somewhat when I get the whole "I'll pray for you" bit. Of course, that depends what they're praying for. I completely welcome people's prayers and blessings if it's about my health, wellbeing, some financial or family struggle I'm going through, etc.

But If they're praying for my 'salvation', forget about it. I've heard it a thousand times... =\

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I think, overall, they don't want to offend you by praying for you.

This is generally the excuse, yes. But who was ever, in the whole history of the world, ever offended by someone praying for him? ^_^

Those who do not share our faith are likely to be indifferent to whether we pray or not, but it makes no sense for that to equate to being offended.

Such a comment is, therefore, a rationalisation, to justify doing what it is not at all necessary to do, but which makes their prayers seen by man. It is a display of piety, and perhaps also a bit of territory marking. Which, as I already said, is not what we are told to do.

Upvote 0