Mark 13:6-22 Inclusio?

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,408.00
Faith
Christian
For those that don't know, an inclusio is a literary method where words, paragraphs, or even narratives are used as brackets to emphasize the information inbetween them. An example: [I like music]. I like rock, blues, jazz, funk, pop, country, and punk rock. I especially like classic rock. [I like music a lot].

For this case:
[Verse 6] Verses 7-20 [verse 21].

The disciples spoke to Jesus in verse 4 saying, "Tell us when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are about to be accomplished?" This was in response to Jesus' declaration that the temple would be destroyed. The disciples, however, asked two questions. It looks like Jesus bracketed the answer to the first question between verses 6 and 21, telling them when the temple would be destroyed.

If this is an inclusio and I am correct, then all the signs Jesus mentioned from verses 7 through 20 seem to be the result of false messiahs (verse 6) and false prophets (verse 21). Jesus tells his listeners in verse 22 that both false christs and false messiahs would come, leading many astray. So the signs that Jesus gave would be misconstrued by the false christs and false prophets to lead many to follow after them. Since this speaks about the destruction of the temple, it seems likely that the coming false messiahs and false prophets were prophecies about first century CE Jewish revolutionary leaders using signs and significant events to lead the Jews to go to war with the Romans, resulting in the destruction. At least this would thoroughly answer the first question of when the temple would be destroyed.

What do you think?