Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, my textbook disagrees (and before you question the veracity, it's independently written and it's not even a year old. I doubt it's a government conspiracy). Sounds like something which varies study to study.

It probably has to do with other factors like their activity, how much they smoke tobacco, how much they smoke cannibis, etc.
What studies does your text book quote? I'm even willing to find information about the studies, if you'll tell me who did them.

Also, just because your textbook was released recently, doesn't mean that it contains the most up-to-date information about cannabis. This study I quoted is two years old, but that textbook, or that section of that text book might have been written even before then. Also, sometimes studies take a while to get into all of the text books, or are still in peer review.

And, I wonder, what sort of text book are we talking about? Is it specifically about drugs or specifically about cannabis? Or is it a more general book about health, medicine, psychology, or something of that nature? A more general book sometimes won't look at all of the evidence available on every single subject covered, simply because the authors don't have the time to do so before deadlines. Also, there is possible lack of author knowledge or author bias to be taken into account, much bad or misleading information has been released about cannabis over the years, and people who haven't deeply researched the topic might not know that such information has since been discredited or might not care.
My biggest problem with drugs though is that they're pointless.
In your opinion, maybe. But then, in my opinion, there are many activities that I see as "pointless" like going to a Christian Church every Sunday, or protesting at Adult stores.

Anyway, why does every activity need to have a "point"? Is there something wrong with doing activities that don't accomplish something for the greater good?
You gain absolutely nothing from it while even the most mundane activity you gain something.
That isn't even close to true. Why would anyone do drugs if they weren't getting something out of it? Obviously, everyone who does drugs feels like they are gaining something from it. Whether they are gaining enjoyment, relaxation, or deep philosophical or religious insights, they certainly believe that their drug(s) of choice are worth doing!
Drugs shouldn't be encourage because they waste time. Unless you have a medical need, go outside and do something useful.
I agree that drugs should be encouraged on this website, after all it is against the rules. But that doesn't mean that I agree with lying or misleading people to deter them from doing drugs. And I've tried to back up all of my statements with reports about studies (given that I can't link to the studies themselves).

To address your other point, I don't feel that something should not be done just because it is seen as a "waste of time". After all, we are debating on an internet forum, something which certainly isn't "useful" in any practical form. I hope you don't believe that you should "go outside and do something useful" instead of replying. *wink*

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Da Bomb

May 12, 2008
✟15,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you take Romans 14:14 literally than cannibalism would be fine and dandy (take note, the person should be dead by a source other than murder). As far as Gen 2:17, it has plenty to do. Because it prooves that just because God has created something doesn't mean it can be used. Cannabis has uses in nature that aren't artificial.

As for your bogus definition, go back to school. Drugs don't have to kill you. A drug is any physical substance which alters how your body works for a short period, typically in the brain. Caffeine is a drug, but I've never heard of it killing someone. So stop waving that around and going "HA HA IT'S NOT A DRUG" because that's an outright lie.
Caffeine is one of the leading causes of heart disease.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the thing is, marijuana is illegal but it should not be.

Its against the rules to encourage illegal drug use on these forums, yet, its not illegal to support the protest of prohibition something that has been criminalized for all the wrong reasons, and I believe I have an obligatory duty to civilly disobey unjust and unwarranted laws in the name of freedom.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

To See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate
May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
the thing is, marijuana is illegal but it should not be.

Its against the rules to encourage illegal drug use on these forums, yet, its not illegal to support the protest of prohibition something that has been criminalized for all the wrong reasons, and I believe I have an obligatory duty to civilly disobey unjust and unwarranted laws in the name of freedom.
So long as we can "toe the line" and make sure that people understand we are advocating for the legalization of cannabis, and not in any way encouraging people to use cannabis while it is illegal.

Upvote 0

Xaoc

Jan 28, 2008
✟15,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please do not close or delete this thread, as I would like a serious, mature debate on this. I'm not here to promote or demote the use of Marijuana, but I would like facts only.

1. Marijuana is a relatively 'safe' drug, compared to Alcohol, Cocaine, Meth, etc.

Drug Deaths Per Year

Tobacco - 450,000+
Alcohol - 150,000+
Aspirin - 1,000+
Caffeine - 5,000+
Legal Drug Overdose - 27,000+
Illegal Drug Overdose - 5,200+
Marijuana - 0

2. Studies show Marijuana has no negative long-term effects.

Researches Regarding Marijuana and its long-term effects:

abovetheignorance[dot]org/#1
(new member, can't post links yet)

3. Marijuana was made illegal in the 1930's for several reasons: Racism, Fear, Protection of Corporate Profits, Yellow Journalism, Ignorance, Corrupt Legislators, Greed

With the list above, I can say that Marijuana isn't as bad as the government and media makes it seem.

However, the Bible says:

1 corinthians 6:19 - Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own

At the same times, the Bible does not mention Marijuana specifically. It does however, mention Alcohol.

Currently these are my views: IFMarijuana was made legal wherever you reside, as a Christian you have a right to smoke moderately, like you would drink moderately with alcohol. Of course, this is ONLY if new studies do not show negative long-term affects of Marijuana.

Feel free to try to convince me otherwise. What are your opinions? I'd love to hear them. But please, do not say ignorant things, like "Marijuana is bad no matter what!" I'd like a mature, knowledgeable debate.

edit: Forgot to mention, I am a Christian.

Hey. I've been looking for those first statistics for a while, about the deaths. Could you send me a link to those? Greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What studies does your text book quote? I'm even willing to find information about the studies, if you'll tell me who did them.

Also, just because your textbook was released recently, doesn't mean that it contains the most up-to-date information about cannabis. This study I quoted is two years old, but that textbook, or that section of that text book might have been written even before then. Also, sometimes studies take a while to get into all of the text books, or are still in peer review.

And, I wonder, what sort of text book are we talking about? Is it specifically about drugs or specifically about cannabis? Or is it a more general book about health, medicine, psychology, or something of that nature? A more general book sometimes won't look at all of the evidence available on every single subject covered, simply because the authors don't have the time to do so before deadlines. Also, there is possible lack of author knowledge or author bias to be taken into account, much bad or misleading information has been released about cannabis over the years, and people who haven't deeply researched the topic might not know that such information has since been discredited or might not care.
In your opinion, maybe. But then, in my opinion, there are many activities that I see as "pointless" like going to a Christian Church every Sunday, or protesting at Adult stores.

Anyway, why does every activity need to have a "point"? Is there something wrong with doing activities that don't accomplish something for the greater good?
That isn't even close to true. Why would anyone do drugs if they weren't getting something out of it? Obviously, everyone who does drugs feels like they are gaining something from it. Whether they are gaining enjoyment, relaxation, or deep philosophical or religious insights, they certainly believe that their drug(s) of choice are worth doing!
I agree that drugs should be encouraged on this website, after all it is against the rules. But that doesn't mean that I agree with lying or misleading people to deter them from doing drugs. And I've tried to back up all of my statements with reports about studies (given that I can't link to the studies themselves).

To address your other point, I don't feel that something should not be done just because it is seen as a "waste of time". After all, we are debating on an internet forum, something which certainly isn't "useful" in any practical form. I hope you don't believe that you should "go outside and do something useful" instead of replying. *wink*

From Understanding Psychology written by Robert S. Feldman, Module 16 - Drug Use, under the heading Narcotic: Relieving Pain and Anxiety and subheading Hallucinogens: Psychedelic Drugs.

"The most common hallucinogen in widespread use today is marijuana, whose active ingredient - tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - is found in a a common weed, cannabis. Marijuana is typically smoked in cigarettes or pipes, although it can be cooked and eaten. Just over 34 percent of high school seniors and 12 percent of eighth-graders report having used marijuana in the last year (Johnston et al., 2004 [I'll try to find the graph it provides on this])

The effects of marijuana very from person to person, but they typically consist of feelings of euphoria and general well-being. Sensory experiences seem more vivid and intense, and a person's sense of self-importance seems to grow. Memory may be impaired, causing the user to feel pleasantly "spaced out". However, the effects are not universally positive. Individuals who use marijuana when they feel depressed can end up even more depressed, because the drug tends to magnify both good and bad feelings.

There are clear risks associated with long-term, heavy marijuana use. Although marijuana does not seem to produce addiction by itself, some evidence suggests that there are similarities in the way marijuana and drugs such as cocaine and heroin affect the brain. Furthermore, there is some evidence that heavy use at least temporarily decreases the production of the male sex hormone testosterone, potentially affecting sexual activity and sperm count. (DiChiara & Reinhart, 1997; Block et al., 2000; Iverson, 2000).

In addition, marijuana smoked during pregnancy may have lasting effects on children who are exposed prenatally, although the results are inconsistent. Heavy use also affects the ability of the immune system to fight off germs and increases stress son the heart, although it is unclear how strong these effects are. There is one unquestionably negative consequence of smoking marijuana: The smoke damages the lungs much the way cigarette smoke does, producing an increased likelihood of developing lung cancer and other lung diseases. (Cornelius et al., 1995; Julien, 2001).

Despite the possible dangers of marijuana user, there is little scientific evidence for the popular belief that users 'graduate' from marijuana to more dangerous drugs. Furthermore, the use of marijuana is routine in certain cultures. For instance, some people in Jamaica habitually drink a marijuana-based tea related to religious practices. In addiction, marijuana has several medical uses; it can be used to prevent nausea from chemotherapy, treats some AIDS symptoms, and relieve muscle spasms for people with spinal cord injuries. In a controversial move, several states have made the use of the drug legal if it is prescribed by a physician - although it remains illegal under U.S. federal law (Brookhiser, 1997; National Academy of Sciences, 1999; Iverson, 2000)."

Emphasis added by me. That took a long time to type out. I would also like to add, that something does not have to be formulated to be addicting in order for a person to become addicted. Pretty much anything can become an addiction. It's a matter of the willpower of the person. The only difference between biological addictions and mental addictions are that biological addictions don't have the enjoyability factor, since heavy use of the drug your addicted to causes the drug to take no affect on the user. In mental addictions, if something is no longer enjoyable, it just becomes easier to quit.

I do recognize that most of the studies are between 1997-2001, but in a scientific field, that isn't a lot of time. A good study takes years to fully understand, label, check and double-check the results and then publish it.

The fact that the author included a case for making marijuana legal, makes me doubt that it is bias. And since drugs are a large part of general psychology, I don't think he'd downplay their importance. I've read through this textbook (well skimmed. I've only thoroughly read chapters on neurology, drugs, consciousness, sexuality and social psych.) and the author seems to balance his concentration. It's a good textbook. Especially compared to my New Testament textbook.

That's not the point of it being pointless (lol). Most activities have a reward, or else they're regarded as either useless or criminal. Even sitting here at the computer is teaching me something. It's exercising my typing ability and on a debate forum it makes me think about what I'll be typing and how to properly give my argument. What seems like the most mundane activity can be rewarding. I have a friend who went bungee jumping off a bridge into a lake. Was is dangerous? Yes. Was it stupid? Definitely. Was it really entertaining to watch? Actually it was. But it still had it's benefits. Since he was doing it in a safe area, with plenty of people, over something that will catch him with mercy if he falls, the thrill was protected. The jump practices endurance and for some it's a final sense in overcoming fear of heights. I went bungee diving a few weeks ago. I have a fear of heights (not extreme but it's one of the only fears I have. Needles is my extreme) and let me tell you, it has not been nearly as bad since I flew from 300 feet in the air. That's reward.

But for marijuana, it may be enjoyable but unless you are sick, it won't do much for you and could make things worse for you. So what if it's enjoyable? I've never met someone afraid of marijuana or seeing hallucinations (I'm sure they're out there but, that's hardly a profitable demographic) so there's no fears to overcome. So if there's no reward, why do it? If you want to spacey, take a nap and daydream. That's what I do. And it's far more enjoyable since I have control over what I'm thinking too.

Feeling good - if it feels good it must be okay, right? Just because something feels good doesn't mean it fulfills anything. You keep comparing it to religious activity. Spirituality is a part of peoples lives, though it takes different forms depending on what beliefs people subscribe too. Religious activities fulfill a spiritual desire. For many, it's just as important as crying once in a while to fulfill emotional needs.

Also, debate is useful. When it's nice and organized anyway.

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Caffeine is one of the leading causes of heart disease.

No, that's the food that caffeine is often mixed with. Because of it's nature caffeine is usually mixed with enjoyable flavors like cocoa and sugar. The most caffeine will give you is the same dependence found in other drugs (which is in fact, one of the only things all drugs have in common) and they have similar consequences in large doses. But because of the nature of how it's used, it's difficult to avoid. I love chocolate for instance. It just tastes good, but it does have caffeine in it.

But there are no studies linking caffeine to heart disease, and even if that were the case, it would be very difficult to trace whether it's the caffeine or the food habits, since caffeine is often found in some of the least healthy foods around. How can you tell if a person is drinking too much soda or the caffeine did it? It's a medical breakthrough we haven't gotten to yet.

Reactions: stan1980
Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, that's the food that caffeine is often mixed with. Because of it's nature caffeine is usually mixed with enjoyable flavors like cocoa and sugar. The most caffeine will give you is the same dependence found in other drugs (which is in fact, one of the only things all drugs have in common) and they have similar consequences in large doses. But because of the nature of how it's used, it's difficult to avoid. I love chocolate for instance. It just tastes good, but it does have caffeine in it.

But there are no studies linking caffeine to heart disease, and even if that were the case, it would be very difficult to trace whether it's the caffeine or the food habits, since caffeine is often found in some of the least healthy foods around. How can you tell if a person is drinking too much soda or the caffeine did it? It's a medical breakthrough we haven't gotten to yet.

I was thinking the same. If caffeine has indirectly caused caused any deaths, who is to say cannabis hasn't? Has anyone ever actually died directly from a caffeine overdose or bad reaction?

Upvote 0
H

HollandScotts

So what if it's enjoyable? I've never met someone afraid of marijuana or seeing hallucinations (I'm sure they're out there but, that's hardly a profitable demographic) so there's no fears to overcome. So if there's no reward, why do it?
The feeling you get is the reward. It's also a good bonding experiance between friends, passing a doobie back and forth, talking about things.
If you want to spacey, take a nap and daydream. That's what I do. And it's far more enjoyable since I have control over what I'm thinking too.
Isn't about feeling spacey, it's about getting high. I can clearly tell you haven't smoked before, or you've only smoked one or twice. I have complete and total control over what I think at all times, high or not.
Feeling good - if it feels good it must be okay, right? Just because something feels good doesn't mean it fulfills anything. You keep comparing it to religious activity. Spirituality is a part of peoples lives, though it takes different forms depending on what beliefs people subscribe too. Religious activities fulfill a spiritual desire. For many, it's just as important as crying once in a while to fulfill emotional needs.
Relaxation is pretty good too, and quite fulfilling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WatersMoon110

May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was thinking the same. If caffeine has indirectly caused caused any deaths, who is to say cannabis hasn't? Has anyone ever actually died directly from a caffeine overdose or bad reaction?
Actually, caffeine is surprisingly easy to overdose on, if one is talking about caffeine pills or highly caffeinated energy drinks (and younger people or people who drink far, far too many of them). We think of it as a "safe drug" since it exists naturally in such small amounts in chocolate, coffee, tea, and guarana, but Wikipedia has this to say about it:
"Though achieving lethal dose with caffeine would be exceptionally difficult with regular coffee, there have been reported deaths from overdosing on caffeine pills, with serious symptoms of overdose requiring hospitalization occurring from as little as 2 grams of caffeine." (With Sources on Page)

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually, caffeine is surprisingly easy to overdose on, if one is talking about caffeine pills or highly caffeinated energy drinks (and younger people or people who drink far, far too many of them). We think of it as a "safe drug" since it exists naturally in such small amounts in chocolate, coffee, tea, and guarana, but Wikipedia has this to say about it:
"Though achieving lethal dose with caffeine would be exceptionally difficult with regular coffee, there have been reported deaths from overdosing on caffeine pills, with serious symptoms of overdose requiring hospitalization occurring from as little as 2 grams of caffeine." (With Sources on Page)

Ah, yes, I forgot about caffeine pills. They were brilliant for when I was doing all nighters for exams and course work. I'm sure if cannabis became legal, some brightspark would come up with THC pills and you'll then start seeing the odd overdose. Not that I'm arguing that it should be illegal of course, just saying.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From Understanding Psychology written by Robert S. Feldman, Module 16 - Drug Use, under the heading Narcotic: Relieving Pain and Anxiety and subheading Hallucinogens: Psychedelic Drugs.

"The most common hallucinogen in widespread use today is marijuana, whose active ingredient - tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - is found in a a common weed, cannabis. Marijuana is typically smoked in cigarettes or pipes, although it can be cooked and eaten. Just over 34 percent of high school seniors and 12 percent of eighth-graders report having used marijuana in the last year (Johnston et al., 2004 [I'll try to find the graph it provides on this])

The effects of marijuana very from person to person, but they typically consist of feelings of euphoria and general well-being. Sensory experiences seem more vivid and intense, and a person's sense of self-importance seems to grow. Memory may be impaired, causing the user to feel pleasantly "spaced out". However, the effects are not universally positive. Individuals who use marijuana when they feel depressed can end up even more depressed, because the drug tends to magnify both good and bad feelings.

There are clear risks associated with long-term, heavy marijuana use. Although marijuana does not seem to produce addiction by itself, some evidence suggests that there are similarities in the way marijuana and drugs such as cocaine and heroin affect the brain. Furthermore, there is some evidence that heavy use at least temporarily decreases the production of the male sex hormone testosterone, potentially affecting sexual activity and sperm count. (DiChiara & Reinhart, 1997; Block et al., 2000; Iverson, 2000).

In addition, marijuana smoked during pregnancy may have lasting effects on children who are exposed prenatally, although the results are inconsistent. Heavy use also affects the ability of the immune system to fight off germs and increases stress son the heart, although it is unclear how strong these effects are. There is one unquestionably negative consequence of smoking marijuana: The smoke damages the lungs much the way cigarette smoke does, producing an increased likelihood of developing lung cancer and other lung diseases. (Cornelius et al., 1995; Julien, 2001).

Despite the possible dangers of marijuana user, there is little scientific evidence for the popular belief that users 'graduate' from marijuana to more dangerous drugs. Furthermore, the use of marijuana is routine in certain cultures. For instance, some people in Jamaica habitually drink a marijuana-based tea related to religious practices. In addiction, marijuana has several medical uses; it can be used to prevent nausea from chemotherapy, treats some AIDS symptoms, and relieve muscle spasms for people with spinal cord injuries. In a controversial move, several states have made the use of the drug legal if it is prescribed by a physician - although it remains illegal under U.S. federal law (Brookhiser, 1997; National Academy of Sciences, 1999; Iverson, 2000)."

Emphasis added by me. That took a long time to type out.
Thanks so much for typing that in! Also, that sounds like a much nicer and newer book than my friends got to use for a similar class! *big grin*

The first study in the paragraph in question (Cornelius) is about using cannabis during pregnancy, so not very helpful on this topic. The second reference (Julien) isn't a study, but this text book, which presumably sources some study about cannabis and cancer. Darn, I was hoping to get something better than that, sorry!
I would also like to add, that something does not have to be formulated to be addicting in order for a person to become addicted. Pretty much anything can become an addiction. It's a matter of the willpower of the person. The only difference between biological addictions and mental addictions are that biological addictions don't have the enjoyability factor, since heavy use of the drug your addicted to causes the drug to take no affect on the user. In mental addictions, if something is no longer enjoyable, it just becomes easier to quit.
I agree with all of that! Mental addiction can be even harder to quit, because there isn't just the matter of getting over the physical withdrawal! There are even times when people become so set in a given activity that they can't quit even when there are multiple negative consequence for doing it. My heart goes out to anyone suffering with addiction who is trying to quit!
I do recognize that most of the studies are between 1997-2001, but in a scientific field, that isn't a lot of time. A good study takes years to fully understand, label, check and double-check the results and then publish it.
Agreed, those studies aren't very old at all. However, there are multiple studies that have found that cannabis doesn't cause cancer. There's the one I linked before, a slightly older one, and even some studies that have found that cannabinoids slow lung cancer growth and another with the same findings from FOX News, a source more expected to be biased against such studies.

Obviously, there are some older studies that have had other opposite results. However, all of the new, many larger, studies that I've found have agreed on this. Cannabis use doesn't seem to cause lung cancer.
The fact that the author included a case for making marijuana legal, makes me doubt that it is bias. And since drugs are a large part of general psychology, I don't think he'd downplay their importance. I've read through this textbook (well skimmed. I've only thoroughly read chapters on neurology, drugs, consciousness, sexuality and social psych.) and the author seems to balance his concentration. It's a good textbook.
I believe you on this matter, he doesn't seem to be biased in the section you so wonderfully quoted. I feel that he simply isn't completely up-to-date on this particular matter, since more recent findings have shown otherwise.
Especially compared to my New Testament textbook.
That's too bad! I rather liked the New Testament textbooks that I've used (especially the comparative passages one!), but there certainly are some bad ones out there.
That's not the point of it being pointless (lol). Most activities have a reward, or else they're regarded as either useless or criminal. Even sitting here at the computer is teaching me something. It's exercising my typing ability and on a debate forum it makes me think about what I'll be typing and how to properly give my argument. What seems like the most mundane activity can be rewarding. I have a friend who went bungee jumping off a bridge into a lake. Was is dangerous? Yes. Was it stupid? Definitely. Was it really entertaining to watch? Actually it was. But it still had it's benefits. Since he was doing it in a safe area, with plenty of people, over something that will catch him with mercy if he falls, the thrill was protected. The jump practices endurance and for some it's a final sense in overcoming fear of heights. I went bungee diving a few weeks ago. I have a fear of heights (not extreme but it's one of the only fears I have. Needles is my extreme) and let me tell you, it has not been nearly as bad since I flew from 300 feet in the air. That's reward.

But for marijuana, it may be enjoyable but unless you are sick, it won't do much for you and could make things worse for you. So what if it's enjoyable? I've never met someone afraid of marijuana or seeing hallucinations (I'm sure they're out there but, that's hardly a profitable demographic) so there's no fears to overcome. So if there's no reward, why do it?
If you see no reward in using cannabis, don't do it. However, just because you do not see a reward in a given activity, doesn't mean that others do not. Obviously, people use cannabis for many different reasons, but those who continue to use get a reward out of it (unless they are mentally addicted to it), or they would stop.
If you want to spacey, take a nap and daydream. That's what I do. And it's far more enjoyable since I have control over what I'm thinking too.
You are sadly misinformed about the effects of cannabis. I assure you that the feeling of daydreaming or of napping are not really all that similar to the feeling of using cannabis. Cannabinoids lock into the cannabinoid receptors in one's brain, used by the endocannabinoids. Endocannabinoids have many purposes in the brain, but they are one of the chemicals released when one is feeling happy, and also control appetite (which is why cannabis causes "the munchies"), the observation of the passing of time, and many other things.

There are some activities that release chemicals causing emotions similar to the feeling of using cannabis. Since the effects of cannabis differ from person to person, so do the activities that create similar feelings. Strenuous, though enjoyable, exercise or sports can. So can listening to music, reading a good book, meditation, or hanging out with (sober) friends. I actually have advocated many times to people trying to quit to find activities that create similar feelings to those they miss from using cannabis (though obviously not one they did while using cannabis), and do some of those when they feel the urge to use.

However, I wouldn't describe "napping or daydreaming" as an activity that creates similar feelings for me. Maybe it might help some people though!

Also, people under the influence of cannabis can certainly control what they are thinking about, to the extent that anyone can. At least, I've never had any problem, and I've never heard of anyone who has. Though, of course, the effects are different for everyone (since everyone has cannabinoid receptors in slightly different parts of their brain, and in different numbers).
Feeling good - if it feels good it must be okay, right? Just because something feels good doesn't mean it fulfills anything.
Perhaps I don't understand what you mean, but I think that doing enjoyable activities helps to fulfill one's need to feel happy.
You keep comparing it to religious activity. Spirituality is a part of peoples lives, though it takes different forms depending on what beliefs people subscribe too. Religious activities fulfill a spiritual desire. For many, it's just as important as crying once in a while to fulfill emotional needs.
Actually, the effects of religious activity and the effects of hallucinogens aren't incredibly different. Of course, hallucinogens add chemicals into the brain to get those effects, and spiritual activity uses the natural chemicals in the brain, but some of the effects are similar (from someone who has experienced much of both). In fact, many people report having religious experiences while using cannabis, and some old, and newer religions use cannabis as a sacred plant, as does a newer church (which states they worship the God of Abraham). Cannabis certainly can be utilized by many different people to help fulfill a spiritual desire.
Also, debate is useful. When it's nice and organized anyway.
Agreed! *smile*

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ah, yes, I forgot about caffeine pills. They were brilliant for when I was doing all nighters for exams and course work. I'm sure if cannabis became legal, some brightspark would come up with THC pills and you'll then start seeing the odd overdose. Not that I'm arguing that it should be illegal of course, just saying.
I wonder, though. They already have Marinol® and are coming out with other synthetic cannabinoid pills to treat things like Alzheimer's.

Well, it is theoretically possible to have a THC IV drip (which is actually how some of the animals in its LD50 tests got it) and probably get enough in you to actually OD on it. I'm not sure of the amounts of pure THC needed to kill a human, since I don't fully understand how to do the math from these results for humans...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I wonder, though. They already have Marinol® and are coming out with other synthetic cannabinoid pills to treat things like Alzheimer's.

Oooh, never heard of that before. My friend's uncle or cousin or something is a chemist who is a bit on the dodgy side. Next time I see him, I'll ask him if he can get hold of any Marinol, to try out strictly for educational purposes of course. I'll report back with my findings.

Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sick of typing, so here is a picture of a puppy:
akc-english-bulldog-puppy-for-adoption-485197p.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WatersMoon110

May 30, 2007
Ohio
✟21,255.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm having a real issue posting the reply I have to FaithLikeARock. Hopefully, it comes through at some point, but if it doesn't I will try later. I even tried splitting it into two posts, and it still isn't showing up. I don't get it.

Upvote 0