1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

Map, Where Do Americans Go to Smoke?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Johnboy53, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Johnboy53

Johnboy53 Looking For Interesting News.

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Fewer than 13 percent of Americans now smoke cigarettes every day. While this represents a dramatic decline from the Mad Men-era of ubiquitous ash trays, the drop in smokers isn't happening everywhere at the same rate, and it isn't necessarily happening among the people you'd expect. Slate decided to map the latest data about cigarette smoking by state and county, and the trends it reveals are fascinating. In most of the counties around the border of Kentucky and West Virginia, for example, as much as 40 percent of the population regularly lights up.

This map shows data from both counties and states, using figures from an annual nationwide survey of more than 400,000 people. The state-by-state map also breaks out the numbers by age group, and by whether people smoke regularly or occasionally. Click the tabs in the upper right corner to toggle between the two different maps.

Slate Labs - Smoking over the years: An interactive map

2. JustMeSee

JustMeSee Contributor

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Interesting data.

3. ChavaK

ChavaK להיות טוב ולעשות טוב

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Judaism
    I always thought that the rate of smoking is related to the economic status of the
    person-the lower the income level, the higher the smoking rate.

4. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Guest

That why Obama quit smoking when he became a millionaire? Is that why rich folk are known for their pricey humidors and cigar collections?

5. ChavaK

ChavaK להיות טוב ולעשות טוב

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Judaism
    He is still a smoker- but he should definitely quit so I can finally
    say something good about him :)

6. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Guest

Kinda my point.

7. revanneosl

revanneosl Mystically signifying since 1985

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Methodist
    I was really hoping that this was going to be a website that gave me the location of smokeasies in my area. Does anybody know where I can find that data?