Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
So this happened Monday evening. It hit the news at 2 am Tuesday, and the main news earlier this morning. Fortunately, the man was subdued and the flight returned to the airport and the assailant is being examined.

However, I find it odd that it has not yet been mentioned here (at least, that I can find). Even if it had been mentioned already, you'd think that a Jihadist attempting an attack on a plane would be a popular thread and remain at the top of the list.

So why has this not already been mentioned? That, to me, is more curious than the incident itself.

EDIT:

Sorry, meant to include a link.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/17/united-flight-returns-to-dulles-after-disturbance-passenger-taken-to-hospital/

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I heard a report on the radio on the way into work. Not mention of Jihad.

Very clear mention that the man involved was not in any way armed.

That seems inconsistent with any real planned attack.

Seems to me it is quite possible the Jihad angle is something added only by a very limited set of new reporting organizations and this is off the radar because that part is just that, made up.

EDIT: The only source I found that actually quotes anyone actually on the plane has that source saying he said there were Jihadists in the cargo hold. Many reports have him saying 'they said to call it off', but the situation seems to be one where there would be no chance for anyone to tell him anything. In short it seems he hears voices in his head!

No surprise no news source is running with this as a legit attack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Maybe people here think it is not really news since this kind of thing is not an unusual occurrence?

It's not? Please link to the myriad news stories about the common occurrence of people charging the cockpit while yelling Jihad.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems to me it is quite possible the Jihad angle is something added only by a very limited set of new reporting organizations and this is off the radar because that part is just that, made up.

Official: United flight turns back after unruly passenger yells 'jihad' - CNN.com
A United Airlines flight made a U-turn in the sky after a passenger ran toward the cockpit screaming "jihad, jihad," according to a government official with direct knowledge of the incident.

Probably just a nutter.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I heard a report on the radio on the way into work. Not mention of Jihad.

Very clear mention that the man involved was not in any way armed.

That seems inconsistent with any real planned attack.

Most of the news links I found mentioned that he was yelling Jihad. Fox, CNN, HuffPo, Gawker, National Post, NYDN... Maybe they are getting sucked in, but still, the fact that most news places mention it (whether it is true or not) would suggest that it would be a significant issue for this forum.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Most of the news links I found mentioned that he was yelling Jihad. Fox, CNN, HuffPo, Gawker, National Post, NYDN... Maybe they are getting sucked in, but still, the fact that most news places mention it (whether it is true or not) would suggest that it would be a significant issue for this forum.

I was slightly off in my guess. Seems the word was used but that there are no links to any groups and the guy seems nuts.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe people here think it is not really news since this kind of thing is not an unusual occurrence?

Given the American propensity to shoot each other, it still gets reported on.

So I doubt it's that.

It still gets reported, it's just neither new or shocking now.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not? Please link to the myriad news stories about the common occurrence of people charging the cockpit while yelling Jihad.

To quote Charlie Brown " Don't you know a sarcasm when you hear it?" Take note of the Maybe and the ?. No one was supposed to take the post as a statement of my opinion but as a speculation about what others might think that would make them not be mentioning it here. Since the question you seemed to be asking was why no one was making a big deal about this incident here .
Even given that my response was tongue in cheek, if something is a common occurrence, you will not likely find myriad news stories about it. Additionally why would you ask for news stories rather than actual evidence of such occurrences being commonplace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given the American propensity to shoot each other, it still gets reported on.

So I doubt it's that.

It still gets reported, it's just neither new or shocking now.

Yeah I shot a couple of people already today and I don't even own any guns. but I would hate to ruin some people's beloved stereotype with something as boring as reality so I make sure i shoot at least three or four a day. Of course, even though we Americans always start off the day with breakfast and a couple of random shootings I can't understand why the news media still insists upon reporting each one of them as if they were an unusual occurrence. Must be their myopic jingoism which is another thing that all Americans delight in.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
To quote Charlie Brown " Don't you know a sarcasm when you hear it?" Take note of the Maybe and the ?.

That's not sarcasm. To paraphrase Charlie Brown, "Don't you know sarcasm when you say it?"

No one was supposed to take the post as a statement of my opinion but as a speculation about what others might think that would make them not be mentioning it here.

Speculation is not sarcasm, either.

Since the question you seemed to be asking was why no one was making a big deal about this incident here.

That was indeed the question. A plane gets re-routed and grounded because of a passenger attacking the cockpit while yelling about Jihad. It's a pretty news-worthy story. Yet when I came here, I saw nothing about it. I am curious as to why. And it's not because it is a not an unusual occurrence, since it is an unusual occurrence.

Even given that my response was tongue in cheek, if something is a common occurrence, you will not likely find myriad news stories about it. Additionally why would you ask for news stories rather than actual evidence of such occurrences being commonplace.

You implied that people charging the cockpit of a plane while yelling Jihad was a common occurrence. I am asking you to support that assertion somehow. News stories or evidence, whatever you might have to support that it is a common occurrence.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I shot a couple of people already today and I don't even own any guns. but I would hate to ruin some people's beloved stereotype with something as boring as reality so I make sure i shoot at least three or four a day. Of course, even though we Americans always start off the day with breakfast and a couple of random shootings I can't understand why the news media still insists upon reporting each one of them as if they were an unusual occurrence. Must be their myopic jingoism which is another thing that all Americans delight in.

As I suspected! :cool:

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums