Greg1234

In the beginning was El
May 14, 2010
✟11,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Haha, yes. :) I was curious as to some of the posts in response to this, so I checked out the forum thread.

When I saw Merlin never got an answer to his or her question regarding how the analogy would work in relation to other languages, and that the last post in this thread was only a few days old, I felt like I had to make a brief post.

On par with what we witness in mutations within biological systems, the demonstration depicted here is similar to a car decaying over time. Red to blue depicting its graduation into dissolution.

Or a car's light switching on and off. Red to blue depicting the transition from on to off (more versatile if there is a dimmer switch ). Or your pupils dilating/contracting- red to blue depicting a change from fully contracted to fully dilated.

As a reference to microbe to man phenomena, the analogy becomes inconsistent with observations. However, it does attract with the pretty colors.

Upvote 0

ryeaber

lurker - student of logic
Sep 28, 2011
✟7,730.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Bump - Resurrection!

One of my favorite threads!

An example that I showed one of my more religious friends to visualize an intermediate species living today (the purple, in the red to blue) is the gerenuk (do a google search - still can't post links). I mean, look at that neck! Unlike the beaks of certain birds (that shall remain nameless), looking at the neck of gerenuk makes it pretty clear that what started as a regular gazelle is on its way to something completely different. Like the giraffe compared to the okapi.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of my favorite threads!

An example that I showed one of my more religious friends to visualize an intermediate species living today (the purple, in the red to blue) is the gerenuk (do a google search - still can't post links). I mean, look at that neck! Unlike the beaks of certain birds (that shall remain nameless), looking at the neck of gerenuk makes it pretty clear that what started as a regular gazelle is on its way to something completely different. Like the giraffe compared to the okapi.

3260331777_8ac161a76b_o.jpg

Upvote 0

Extra Toasty

Jan 28, 2019
New Jersey
✟8,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Not to say that I completely disagree with what you are saying, but you are using an analogy, which in my understanding has very little argumentative value. I think analogies are good for making an argument more understandable, but not so good as an argument in itself.
"Text can have many micro-changes and end up completely different, therefore, it is logical that a cat can have many micro-changes and end up a dog."
is not really a sound argument.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,135.00
Faith
Atheist
Not to say that I completely disagree with what you are saying, but you are using an analogy, which in my understanding has very little argumentative value. I think analogies are good for making an argument more understandable, but not so good as an argument in itself.
"Text can have many micro-changes and end up completely different, therefore, it is logical that a cat can have many micro-changes and end up a dog."
is not really a sound argument.
Please don't wake the Zombies.

This thread has been dead, lo, these 8 years.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We all can agree (save for the severely color blind) that this text is red.

We can also similarly agree that this text is blue.

If we have red text and decide to change it by just a small amount, the change might be barely noticeable, but still a very small change. This, we will call our micro-evolution. Every word up to now can be considered red, with very minute changes in the hue. If I keep typing long enough, would anyone be able to tell me, just by looking, at which word or letter is this post no longer red, but actually purple or blue? All this micro-evolution keeps occurring in the text, with it's tiny changes in hue, but ultimately, I end up with a completely different color. It's actually the difference between what one would consider red and what one would consider purple (or a whole new species, in this analogy) which is macro-evolution. See, the common misunderstanding is, that macro-evolution means a dog being a direct offspring of some other different canine-like species, or even more stupidly, a cat coming from a dog. Well, that's not what macro-evolution is. There is really only one distinction between micro-evolution and macro-evolution, and it's the same distinction between their prefixes: micro and macro. Just like if something is microscopic or if something is macroscopic. Microscopic usually requires a microscope to see it because it's so small, but the macroscopic are things large enough to be seen by the common human eye. However, things of both size are completely visible and plainly exist, and there are many things in this universe between both general sizes. So as you read this, can you tell me the first word here that is blue, and not purple? After all, every change in color since the first word in this paragraph has only micro-evolved from the color next to it, but we've managed to macro-evolve through 2 colors. This, hopefully, will illustrate how it's illogical to believe that macro-evolution doesn't happen, even given time for enough micro-evolution to occur.

So tell me -- what was the first purple word in the block of text above? What's the first blue word? Remember, if macro-evolution simply can not happen then you're saying the words you are reading now are still red.

I know this is an old dead, yet resurected, thread.

But if you, like you claim, really came up with it, then as it turns out.... it was a lunch hour VERY well spend.

This text has become a meme of its own and it's popping up (in image form LOL) regurarly on all kinds of platforms whenever macro evolution is being discussed with a bunch of biology deniers.

So this post, only really serves as a "congratulations" and also a "thank you" for releasing that gem into cyberspace. I don't know if my message will find its way to you... But I hope it does.

This post of yours has proven to be legendary. And you're the anonymous hero behind that legend.

Upvote 0