✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Exhausted said:
The reason we think of homosexuals first is because they're the people that are currently facing discrimination.

True, in time the analogy will be to atheists.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
B

belladonic-haze

Kgreg said:
The director (of the first two movies), Bryan Singer, is openly gay. Actor Ian McKellen is also.

The X-Men movies are a metaphor for the homosexual experience, claiming that homosexuals are persecuted vitims of a society of ignorance and bigotry. The movies have coming out scenes where mutants (homosexuals) tell their parents that they're mutants and their parents react negatively, and have mutants who "pass" as normal, and others who can't hide the that they are mutants, while portraying non-mutants as fear and hate-mongering bigots.

The X-Men series is thinly veiled homosexual propaganda.

:doh:

Well, then Star Trek DS9 must promote bisexuality, cause the Trill still loves her former lovers...male and female.....It is a hidden message to tell the world that all human beings are in fact bisexual....and there were female to female kisses somewhere in that show.

Finally my wish came true..:p

Upvote 0
B

belladonic-haze

Exhausted said:
The reason we think of homosexuals first is because they're the people that are currently facing discrimination.

X-Men is a timeless example of the fact that new things are scary.

true

All over the world people who are 'different' are discriminated in the worst way (race, color, creed, gender, sexuality and bubblegum flavor).....and I'll bet that if we had such mutants in the world, most would discrminate them too.....

We hate what we fear....and we fear what we do not understand......

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
belladonic-haze said:
Well, then Star Trek DS9 must promote bisexuality, cause the Trill still loves her former lovers...male and female.....It is a hidden message to tell the world that all human beings are in fact bisexual....and there were female to female kisses somewhere in that show.

The original Star Trek had the first interracial kiss shown on american national television (between Kirk and Uhura).

I'm not certain if the kiss on DS9 was the first gay kiss on american television (I think it might have been), but I think they were intentionally "sending a message" about their belief that homosexuals should be tolerated. There is no doubt in my mind that this particular episode was really about homosexuality, not Trill, whereas the X-men movies were about mutants and superpowers.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

mark53

Veteran
Jan 16, 2005
Ingle Farm, Adelaide, South Australia
✟16,879.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I think that some people have so much spare time on their hands that they have to look for stuff like this - is a problem!

Jesus did not call us to preach the gospel but to go around looking for the weird and wonderful in all things! :p

Upvote 0

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
belladonic-haze said:
:doh:

Finally my wish came true..:p

Personally, i've thought that Star Trek is very incompatible with christianity :) I would go so far as to say it portrays a world in which christianity no longer exists ... or if it does exist, it is so vastly different that it no longer resembles the christianity of today.

Of course, I love Star Trek. But that really has nothing to do with my thought there :D

Upvote 0

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Eudaimonist said:
I'm not certain if the kiss on DS9 was the first gay kiss on american television (I think it might have been)

From afterellen.com:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q: When was the first lesbian kiss on TV?
A: The first kiss between two women on primetime TV was in 1991 on L.A. Law; the first kiss between two lesbians on primetime TV, however, was on Relativity in 1996. The first lesbian kiss on daytime television was on All My Children in 2003.

Also, the first gay male kiss on primetime TV was on Will & Grace in 2000. It's not considered the first 'real' gay kiss though since Will and Jack did it as a protest.

The first passionate gay male kiss on primetime TV was on the Dawson's Creek episode "True Love" in 2001.

Of interest also is that the first planned gay male kiss would have been on Melrose Place in 1994 but because of backlash against it FOX cut away from the actual kiss to show another person's reaction to it instead.

"The more you know ..." ;)
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nitz said:
Personally, i've thought that Star Trek is very incompatible with christianity :)

Gene Roddenberry was a secular humanist, and he snuck that in to Star Trek on many occasions.

Thanks for clearing up that first gay kiss issue.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

belladonic-haze

Nitz said:
Personally, i've thought that Star Trek is very incompatible with christianity :) I would go so far as to say it portrays a world in which christianity no longer exists ... or if it does exist, it is so vastly different that it no longer resembles the christianity of today.

Of course, I love Star Trek. But that really has nothing to do with my thought there :D

Hey, just wanted to show that you can see the things you want to see, while others do not see it.....

Star Trek has religion in it, Bajorans, Klingons, even Ferengi have religion...

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
belladonic-haze said:
Hey, just wanted to show that you can see the things you want to see, while others do not see it.....

And Star Wars has Jedis. The battle between Trekkies and Warsies continues...

Upvote 0

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
belladonic-haze said:

You are absolutely correct that Star Trek has religion in it. Now, how many of your examples are in the Federation? :p Since the Federation represents 'us' in the future, that's where we need to look.

The first and most obvious casuality of christianity in the Federation would be missionary evangelism of course. Try reconciling the idea of going to "inferior" cultures to spread our "enlightenment" and religious ideas with that pesky old Prime Directive.

Can you imagine Captain Picard's reaction to an Enterprise officer complaining that all the homosexuals on board the ship are living sinfully and shouldn't be allowed to date or marry each other? His first question would probably be "What are you doing in Starfleet?"

Or how about Mr. Spock? Remember IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations)? Mr. Spock might have thought it illogical to pair with someone you cannot procreate with but he would have found it even more illogical to deny those same someone's the right to pair and particularly illogical to hound them about it. Mr. Spock kept his spirituality where it belonged, in his private quarters and inside himself.

Religion may exist in the Star Trek universe, but in the Federation at least it's kept private and unobtrusive. The entire Federation is built upon the concept of extremely diverse people working together for the betterment of each other ... not to tell each other how wrong they are.

Lastly, look at your examples.

Bajorans - religious fanatics. Most people are put off by Bajoran spirituality and many complications arise from having to deal with it.

Klingons - Bad guys (at first) and very violent. There religion is comparable to Islam in that dying in battle gains them the best afterlife.

Ferengi - a religion that represents themselves (well, all religions do this) and their core values ... greed. They mostly pay lip service in their religion so it is nearly irrelevant and it focuses on their greatest passion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
michabo said:
Star Trek has tought me everything that I believe about morality. Like, how you should respect everyone, be they black, white, Klingon, or even female.

I learned the same thing from Zapp Brannigan ... "I don't care if your skin's red, or tan, or Chinese ... you're all going to have to learn to die together" :D:D

Upvote 0

Toboe

Jun 18, 2005
Danville Virginia
✟16,097.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
robalan said:
When I first heard that the seemingly innocent comic-based movie, X-Men, was somehow connected to homosexuality, I was a little bit skeptical. I figured it couldn't be true, since it's about a bunch of comic book characters.

But then I found out this information:

"Bryan Singer (director of the first two movies) is openly gay, and actor Ian McKellen (who plays Magneto) outspokenly so: Neither has made any secret that they intended to deliver gay messages."
-Source: http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001285.cfm

Apparently there are scenes in this movie where mutant characters "come out" and tell their parents of their mutant-ness, resulting in horror and rejection by their parents. It's obvious what this analogy means. If you think it's just a Christian conspiracy theory, just read up on what the director of the movies, Bryan Singer, has to say himself.

Hollywood is a mirror of America. While it's true that not all movies are bad, I would say that the more you can avoid Hollywood, the better off you will be.
Are you just realizing this. The biggest themes in all of the marvel comics is that discrimination and intolerance is wrong. And I dissagree about it being just about gays you can insert anything to that affect that could be characterized as being different from normal.

Upvote 0

Solomon Kane

Jun 26, 2005
Columbus, OH. USA
✟19,475.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Constitution
Nitz said:
Klingons - Bad guys (at first) and very violent. There religion is comparable to Islam in that dying in battle gains them the best afterlife.
I've always seen Klingon honor as a mix of Norse warrior beliefs and Bushido tradition.

Upvote 0