Luke Smallbone on the Power of Family: It’s ‘More Important Than it Ever Has Been’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A singer who is part of the award-winning tandem For King and Country says the "power of family" can change the world, and he hopes a new movie about his parents will inspire moviegoers to be part of the solution.

Luke Smallbone of For King and Country told ChristianHeadlines he was nearly five when his parents -- David and Helen Smallbone -- traveled from Australia to the United States with big dreams but were forced to chase odd jobs when David's job fell through. The entire family pitched in to help by cleaning houses and mowing lawns, among other things.

Their story is retold in the upcoming movie Unsung Hero, which is scheduled to release in theaters on April 26. It stars Daisy Betts, Candace Cameron Bure, and Lucas Black.

"I learned how to push mow lawns at five years old, and I loved it. I still, to this day, love mowing lawns," Luke Smallbone told Christian Headlines.

The film portrays his father as despondent and his mother as unwavering in her faith. Eventually, Luke's sister, Rebecca Smallbone -- Rebecca St. James on stage -- became a popular Christian singer after CCM artist Eddie DeGarmo gave her a chance. Most of the movie, though, portrays the family as struggling to make ends meet.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: tturt