USA
✟15,621.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, for some who believe that she DIDN'T evolve, or that she evolved from something else, here's my brainstorm about it:

http://www.wsu.edu:8001/vwsu/gened/...ine/afarensis/images/lucy-chimp-skeleton.jpeg LINK LEADS TO: Chart of Lucy. ON THE CHART: FAR RIGHT: Lucy and Chimp comparison of lower body. CLOSE RIGHT: Lucy's complete skeleton.

Lucy maybe evolved from a Chimp. She was 3.5 feet tall - Chimp (or close) size. Also, a small brain like a Chimp's. Observing from a complete lower body structure (we can easily complete it because of all the bones we have found) of Lucy's, it looks the same as a Chimp's. Her head looks a majority of Chimp, and a little Human. Look at her teeth and jaw! It's like a chimp's. Her teeth is larger than a Homo Sapiens Sapiens' teeth, which is common as a monkey-like feature. Also, look at the top of her head! It only holds a soft-ball size brain. Chimps, of course, don't have large brains.

Just looking at Lucy's head, we can tell she was likely to evolve from a Chimp. But, for further proof, I have looked at the WHOLE body, not just the head.

What do you think?

n0va

Sep 19, 2004
Belfast
✟15,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The angled off knee they found was found about 70 metres away. The head was too crushed too make out so they used their imagination and the guy who was sent over (Donald Johnson) to find missing links found it when his time and money was almost done. Quite lucky don't ya think? No hand or feet bones were found.

Upvote 0

Christian_Victor

Dec 7, 2004
USA
✟15,621.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
n0va said:
The angled off knee they found was found about 70 metres away. The head was too crushed too make out so they used their imagination and the guy who was sent over (Donald Johnson) to find missing links found it when his time and money was almost done. Quite lucky don't ya think? No hand or feet bones were found.

Do you have any proof that this is true?

Upvote 0
I have attached a picture that shows d) an chimpanzee pelvis e) an australopithecus pelvis and f) a human pelvis from: Mechanisms for the acquisition of habitual bipedality: are there biomechanical reasons for the acquisition of upright bipedal posture?. Holger Preuschoft. J. Anat.(2004) 204, pp363–384

Attachments

• australo.jpg
    australo.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

n0va said:
The angled off knee they found was found about 70 metres away.

usual creationist drivel. lets hear this streaight from the horses mouth i.e. Donald Johanson, the chap who actually discovered lucy. This post is derived from here, and I will pick out the pertinent parts for you.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/knee-joint.html

Willis reported that the following exchange occurred during the question-and-answer session which followed Johanson's lecture:

Q. How far away from Lucy did you find the knee?
A. Sixty to seventy meters lower in the strata and two to three kilometers away.

the question intended to be, how far away from Lucy did you find Lucy's knee, but this is not a unique interpretation is it? Given that Johanson had found both the Lucy skeleton and an additional knee, he took the question to mean the other knee and not Lucys knee.

as you can see, this is quite a virulent creationist meme

The claim that Lucy's knee joint was found separate from the rest of the skeleton has been made or reported by Russell Arndts (1991), Carl Baugh (1995), Walter Brown (1989a), Donald Chittick (1994), Michael Girouard (1989), Kent Hovind (1993a), Scott Huse (1993), Richard LaHaye (1997), David McAllister (1993a), Bill Mehlert (1992), David Menton (1988), John Morris (1989), Dave and Mary Jo Nutting (1991, 1993, 1994), Dennis Petersen (2002, 2003), Douglas Sharp (1994), Paul Taylor (1989), and Tom Willis (1987).

and to finish off

the discoveries of both the original knee joint (1973) and Lucy (1974) are described in detail--including the locations of the finds--in Donald C. Johanson and Maitland E. Edey, Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind (1981) and in the articles in the April 1982 issue of the American Journal of Physical Anthropology. The creationist misunderstanding would never have occurred had either of these sources been consulted. Johanson's writings have always been clear about the fact that his 1973 knee joint was a separate find from Lucy. All of the bones shown in photographs of Lucy were found at a single location.

so do you acknowledge that your post was wrong and that Lucy's knee was found with lucy, and that the reported knee was a different find, or are you going to follow the lines of that long list of creationists who refuse to acknowledge this?

oh, to make it clear that I am not being unfair, I have increased respect for those creationists who did admit the error.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

Christian_Victor said:
Just looking at Lucy's head, we can tell she was likely to evolve from a Chimp. But, for further proof, I have looked at the WHOLE body, not just the head.[/b]

What do you think?

well strictly speaking, Lucy did not evolve from a chimp, but may have evolved from an animal that was very much like a chimp. Pan Troglodytes is the classification of modern chimps, but this does not mean that modern chimps and the common ancestor between chimps and Lucy (and hence us) are both chimps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelfalling

Jan 7, 2005
Gainesville, FL
Visit site
✟15,129.00
Faith
Pagan
Politics
US-Democrat
JohnR7 said:
The only thing special about Lucy is that she was created by God. Otherwise, she is just another species and not any more human like than any of the others.

Well. I guess there are just a lot of species of primates to live over the past few million years.

When will people learn that before they go criticizing something they should educate themselves about the subject matter first? It's not as though evolution is some crazy theory and we are waiting for a missing link. We are talking about millions of years. We also have a lot of DNA evidence that links us to these other primates. We have an entire tree of evolution that is filling in more and more with time.

Upvote 0