Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm just going to leaves links here to accredited sources. Post links to accredited sources.

H1966 - heylel - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (KJV)

הֵילֵל hêylêl, hay-lale'; from H1984 (in the sense of brightness); the morning-star:—lucifer.

Well, first of all I'd like to point out that you don't need to have a Ph.d to study the Bible and draw your own conclusions, so I'll skip the citations. Second, I'll just leave these two verses here for you.

Rev. 22:16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

Isa. 14:12 "How you are fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low!"

And then we have your accredited source which states:

הֵילֵל hêylêl, hay-lale'; from H1984 (in the sense of brightness); the morning-star:—lucifer. (Strongs)

Good luck making any sense of that.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In reading a thread on whether or not our Lord Jesus Christ is actually St. Michael the Archangel (he isn’t), I came across this post, which I felt interesting enough to warrant a thread, as I believe, as did Martin Luther and John Calvin, that this is a grave mistake and also points to one of the few errors in the KJV translation, which is otherwise my favorite English edition of the Bible.

No it doesn’t. Luficer is a Latin word, and none of the Latin church fathers of the Patristic age, including those who interpreted Isaiah 14 as referring to Satan rather than Nebuchadnezzar, used the word Lucifer to refer to the devil.

In fact, there is a fourth century Christian saint named Lucifer! St. Lucifer of Cagliari was the Bishop of Cagliaria in Sardinia, who is venerated in Sardinia for his stance against the Arian heresy. And St. Jerome, the translator of the Vulgate, had a major beef with St. Lucifer over Origen, whom the Sardinian bishop admired and Jerome regarded as a heretic, but never took a low blow against St. Lucifer for that.

Lucifer was not an uncommon name among Romans and I recall reading of a Christian martyr in the second century who was also named Lucifer.

In the middle ages, Roman Catholic demonologists who only used the Vulgate Bible, which by the way does not use Lucifer as a proper noun, since the word literally is the Latin word for “morning star” and was translated correctly by St. Jerome, proposed that Lucifer was a proper name for Satan. Others took the view that Lucifer, Beezlebub and Satan were three different entities.

In the Canaanite religion and several other Semitic Pagan religions had a story of a god or goddess associated with the morning star trying to seize the throne of Baal and being cast down; in Canaanism the deity who attempted this, Attar, failing to assume the thrown of Baal, descended to and ruled the underworld. These stories are likely examples of how the devil spreads confusion by creating religions similiar to Nicene Christianity, or in its pre-incarnational form, the congregation of Israel, and these stories pop up centuries or millenia later to cause confusion. More recent examples of false religions superficially similiar to Christianity are the Bahai Faith, Unitarianism and the Unitarian Universalist Association, the New Church (Swedenborgianism), Spiritualism, the Moonies, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and worst of all, the People’s Temple (Jim Jones, of Jonestown, who poisoned the kool-aid).

So, Dante in his Inferno decided to call the devil Lucifer, and Milton, doubtless referencing that, in his work Paradise Lost employed the same name. Milton also was doubtless influenced by the one of the few major mistakes in the King James Version, which was the translation of “Morning Star” from the Hebrew into Lucifer, instead of “Morning Star”, a rare example of the King James translators departing from the principle of textual equivalence in favor of dynamic equivalence.

This error on the part of the KJV translators has been a disaster, because it has propagated the false belief that Isaiah 14 refers to the devil (due to Milton and Dante), which was rejected by both Martin Luther and John Calvin, not to mention a number of church fathers. It also makes no sense, because why translate from Hebrew into Latin? We can say for certain that even if Isaiah 14 does refer to the devil, Lucifer is not the proper name of the devil, but rather, a mere translation of the name.

Rather, if Luther, Calvin, and numerous church fathers are wrong, and Origen and Tertullian, both anathematized heretics, and the Bogomils and Cathars* (who were Gnostic heretics who also believed that the devil was named Lucifer), are right, then the most correct translation of this alleged original name of Satan would be Helel ben Shachar, because that is the phrase in Isaiah 14 translated as Lucifer. It certainly would not be a word from a language that the early Church did not even use in worship, or bother translating the Bible into, until the second century.**

I would note the only legitimate Church Father who was not a heretic who considered Isaiah 14 to refer to the devil was St. Augustine of Hippo, who was greatly admired by Luther and Calvin, who nonetheless disagreed with him on this and many other issues, but Augustine never referred to the devil as Lucifer. And why not? Because St. Augustine, being a scholar, would have read Isaiah as much from the Greek Septuagint as from the Vulgate, and also knew the Vulgate was not using Lucifer as a proper noun, but was a mere translation of the Hebrew. And St. Augustine had an even more compelling reason to not refer to the devil as Lucifer, more compelling than respect for St. Lucifero the Martyr and St. Lucifer the Bishop of Cagliari, the fact that John the Baptist and indeed our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ are referred to as the morning star in various ancient Latin hymns, thus, calling them Lucifer, including Aeterne rerum conditor a hymn written by St. Ambrose of Milan, which refers to our Lord Jesus Christ as the Morning Star, as Lucifer. St. Ambrose of Milan was St. Augustine’s mentor and catechist, who persuaded him to convert to Christianity from Manichaean Gnosticism, and who baptized him into the Church; the two great Latin fathers even wrote a hymn together, the famed Te Deum Laudamus, which is one of the most popular hymns and is also one of the canticles sung in Morning Prayer in the Church of England.

St. Hilary of Poitiers, another church father, who is considered along with St. Athanasius of Alexandria to be one of the two staunchest opponents of the heresy of Arius, who denied the deity of Jesus Christ and considered him a creature, wrote the hymn Lucis largitor splendide, which also refers to our Lord Jesus Christ as the Morning Star, in Latin, and thus as Lucifer, which St. Augustine would also have been familiar with, given that the Church during Augustine’s career as a writer in the 5th century regarded Athanasius of Alexandria and Hilary of Poitiers as heroes for their role in fighting Arianism, almost by themselves, during the dark years following the death of Emperor Constantine, when Arianism replaced Christianity as the state religion of the Roman Empire and Athanasius was exiled from his native Egypt to Trier, then the main base of the crumbling Western Empire’s increasingly unsuccessful military operations against invading Germanic tribes, and Hilary of Poitiers was his only deeply committed faithful friend and supporter who absolutely refused the idea of any compromise with the Arians.

In conclusion, based on the entirety of the evidence, we can say that Scripture does not reveal the original name of Satan to be Lucifer. It is possible his name was Helel ben Schahar, but not Lucifer, a Latin word referring to the Morning Star, which was used by two of the most pious Christians of the fourth century, St. Ambrose of Milan and St. Hilary of Poitiers, to refer to our lord and savior Jesus Christ, and a word which St. Augustine, the only orthodox Church Father who believed Isaiah 14 referred to the devil, and not Nebuchadnezzar, did not use when discussing that passage. Because indeed he was catechized and baptized by St. Ambrose, who did refer to our Lord as the Morning Star in a Latin hymn. Rather, as Martin Luther and John Calvin insisted, Isaiah 14 refers to Nebuchadnezzar and has nothing to do with our adversary the evil one, “the prince of the power of the air.”***

Does the devil even have a name? Satan, the accuser, is not really a name. Perhaps one could argue the evil one, having rejected God, has destroyed his person to the point where he has no name, only job descriptions.

* The Bogomils had a false Gnostic Gospel, which survives, in which the devil is referred to as Lucifer: Book of the Secret Supper - Wikipedia This book was adopted by the Cathars, who were Gnostics who abhorred marriage (a Cathar who received the Consolamenum and became a member of the Perfecti, their spiritual elite, as all who were unmarried were encouraged to do, vowed to not marry, as procreation was a sin in the Cathar faith, a view common to other Gnostic sects such as Manichaeanism.

** The Church in Rome worshipped in Greek until the reign of Archbishop Victor in the late second century AD, who, to reach the less educated Romans, the city’s poor, who did not know Greek, very commendably instituted Latin worship and commissioned the original Latin Bible, known today as the Vetus Latina. This translation was directly translated from the Greek Septuagint and the Greek New Testament and was written in exquisite Classical Latin, and phrases from it remain in use in Christian worship in the Western churches to this day, most notably, Gloria in Exclesis Deo. There were known errors in the Vetus Latina, and as a result St. Jerome was commissioned by his Archbishop of Rome (an office later styled as Pope), to translate a more accurate Latin Bible; Jerome did this, translating directly from Hebrew and Aramaic texts where they were available. His Vulgate is translated into the somewhat more vernacular Latin of the fourth century, which was already in the process of breaking up into four languages which would be the ancestors of French and Waloonian, Spanish and Portuguese, the numerous languages of Italy, and Romanian, Dalamatian and Arromanian. An example of the stylistic decline of the Vulgate vs. the Vetus Latina is demonstrated by it rendering “Glory to God in the Highest” as Gloria in Altissimus Deo, rather than Gloria in Excelsis Deo.

*** In some Eastern Orthodox monasteries, this is interpreted literally, and the brethren are strongly discouraged from gazing at the sky, because of the risk of falling into delusion due to the activities of the devil.
Correct! Lucifer is not satan.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Refirened

May 18, 2020
Midlands
✟4,224.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, first of all I'd like to point out that you don't need to have a Ph.d to study the Bible and draw your own conclusions, so I'll skip the citations. Second, I'll just leave these two verses here for you.

Rev. 22:16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

Isa. 14:12 "How you are fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low!"

And then we have your accredited source which states:

הֵילֵל hêylêl, hay-lale'; from H1984 (in the sense of brightness); the morning-star:—lucifer. (Strongs)

Good luck making any sense of that.

Heylel would not be written in Revelation because the new testament was written in greek. This is why in the context of Isaiah it was rendered Lucifer and we see in the book of Job that there were morning stars.

Job 38:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy

You rendering the fallen morning star aka Lucifer/Satan to the bright and morning star in revelation which references Jesus is just confusion.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Andre_b
Upvote 0

Refirened

May 18, 2020
Midlands
✟4,224.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Heylel would not be written in Revelation because the new testament was written in greek. This is why in the context of Isaiah it was rendered Lucifer and we see in the book of Job that there were morning stars.

Job 38:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy

You rendering the fallen morning star aka Lucifer/Satan to the bright and morning star in revelation which references Jesus is just confusion. You think you know better than dictionaries and Biblical scholars though so theirs little really for me to say to you.

Heylel in Isaiah was translated to Eosforos from Hebrew to the Greek Lexicon, then to Lucifer from the Greek Lexicon to the Latin Vulgate.
In Revelation, the Greek Lexicon's word for star was Aster. So, tell me how you get the morning star out of two different words in the Latin? On top of that, it's referring to two different people.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Post your proof considering every dictionary says otherwise. You dont get to make up the English language. By definition a fact is something that can be proved hence why we have dictionaries.
That is NOT the reason we have dictionaries.

Dictionaries exist to tell us the meaning of words as they are commonly used. They do not only list usages that the dictionary itself decides are the "official" ones, nor is there any government agency or etc. that decrees that one use is permitted and all others forbidden.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Post your proof considering every dictionary says otherwise. You dont get to make up the English language. By definition a fact is something that can be proved hence why we have dictionaries.

Lucifer | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Lucifer
noun

UK

/ˈluː.sɪ.fər/ US

/ˈluː.sə.fɚ/

name for Satan (= a powerful evil force and the enemy of God)
Welcome! If you search the scriptures with discernment, you will realize the identity of Lucifer. The dictionary is not Christian and takes the stance of urban legend.
Be blessed.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Correct me if I'm wrong but what we know as Satan today would actually be consider the evil inclination in the OT, right?
As we see it today? Change is in the air?
Satan means and has always meant, adversarial to the will of God. We've seen it since the Garden. That is the only evil inclination. The original sin was acting contrary to the will of God. The Gentile church tried to turn it into a being to cover their own adversarial ways when they turned away from the Kingdom and loving all as self, and back to the self serving ideals of mankind.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As we see it today? Change is in the air?
Satan means and has always meant, adversarial to the will of God. We've seen it since the Garden. That is the only evil inclination. The original sin was acting contrary to the will of God. The Gentile church tried to turn it into a being to cover their own adversarial ways when they turned away from the Kingdom and loving all as self, and back to the self serving ideals of mankind.

So, what is your opinion on the serpent in the garden then? Isaiah speaks of "the cherub that covers" as being in the Garden of Eden and seems to imply that this is the one we know as "Lucifer" today. Would you say that was the serpent or the serpent was a representation of our evil inclination?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, what is your opinion on the serpent in the garden then? Isaiah speaks of "the cherub that covers" as being in the Garden of Eden and seems to imply that this is the one we know as "Lucifer" today. Would you say that was the serpent or the serpent was a representation of our evil inclination?
We had a dual nature, animal and spirit of God. We were given dominion over the animals, yet an animal convinced Eve to come down to their level thus making them equals. Once we stopped letting the will of God flow through us and instead put our self serving nature first, it was game over for the human hybrid. Man would now use the power of the spirit given by God as an advantage to increase their own fortunes at the expense of others. Animals are content to seek out territory and kill each other for food with no thought. Man took thought to increase our powers way beyond those of fellow animals. We went from caretakers and caregivers to top of the food chain. Animals did not self justify, but man did, taking the knowledge of good and evil which fellow animals do not have and using it to seek gain at the expense of others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
• Nachash - Serpent

נָחָשׁ

H5175 - nachash - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (KJV)

• Helel - A Shining One

Strong's Hebrew: 1966. הֵילֵל (helel) -- a shining one

הֵילֵל

“How you Are Fallen From Heaven, O Lucifer (Helel) , son of the morning! How You Are Cut Down To The Ground, You Who Weakened the nations!
• Isaiah 14:12

So The Great Dragon was cast out, That Serpent Of Old, Called The Devil And Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Revelation 12:9

He laid hold of The Dragon, That Serpent Of Old, Who Is The Devil And Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
Revelation 20:2

In that day The LORD with His severe sword, great and strong, Will Punish Leviathan The Fleeing SERPENT , Leviathan That Twisted SERPENT ; And He will slay the reptile that is in the sea.
Isaiah 27:1

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Neither Satan or Lucifer is specifically designating one being. They are descriptions of various spiritual conditions. So there may be various Lucifer's and Satan's, as many as become such.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
In reading a thread on whether or not our Lord Jesus Christ is actually St. Michael the Archangel (he isn’t), I came across this post, which I felt interesting enough to warrant a thread, as I believe, as did Martin Luther and John Calvin, that this is a grave mistake and also points to one of the few errors in the KJV translation, which is otherwise my favorite English edition of the Bible.

No it doesn’t. Luficer is a Latin word, and none of the Latin church fathers of the Patristic age, including those who interpreted Isaiah 14 as referring to Satan rather than Nebuchadnezzar, used the word Lucifer to refer to the devil.

In fact, there is a fourth century Christian saint named Lucifer! St. Lucifer of Cagliari was the Bishop of Cagliaria in Sardinia, who is venerated in Sardinia for his stance against the Arian heresy. And St. Jerome, the translator of the Vulgate, had a major beef with St. Lucifer over Origen, whom the Sardinian bishop admired and Jerome regarded as a heretic, but never took a low blow against St. Lucifer for that.

Lucifer was not an uncommon name among Romans and I recall reading of a Christian martyr in the second century who was also named Lucifer.

In the middle ages, Roman Catholic demonologists who only used the Vulgate Bible, which by the way does not use Lucifer as a proper noun, since the word literally is the Latin word for “morning star” and was translated correctly by St. Jerome, proposed that Lucifer was a proper name for Satan. Others took the view that Lucifer, Beezlebub and Satan were three different entities.

In the Canaanite religion and several other Semitic Pagan religions had a story of a god or goddess associated with the morning star trying to seize the throne of Baal and being cast down; in Canaanism the deity who attempted this, Attar, failing to assume the thrown of Baal, descended to and ruled the underworld. These stories are likely examples of how the devil spreads confusion by creating religions similiar to Nicene Christianity, or in its pre-incarnational form, the congregation of Israel, and these stories pop up centuries or millenia later to cause confusion. More recent examples of false religions superficially similiar to Christianity are the Bahai Faith, Unitarianism and the Unitarian Universalist Association, the New Church (Swedenborgianism), Spiritualism, the Moonies, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and worst of all, the People’s Temple (Jim Jones, of Jonestown, who poisoned the kool-aid).

So, Dante in his Inferno decided to call the devil Lucifer, and Milton, doubtless referencing that, in his work Paradise Lost employed the same name. Milton also was doubtless influenced by the one of the few major mistakes in the King James Version, which was the translation of “Morning Star” from the Hebrew into Lucifer, instead of “Morning Star”, a rare example of the King James translators departing from the principle of textual equivalence in favor of dynamic equivalence.

This error on the part of the KJV translators has been a disaster, because it has propagated the false belief that Isaiah 14 refers to the devil (due to Milton and Dante), which was rejected by both Martin Luther and John Calvin, not to mention a number of church fathers. It also makes no sense, because why translate from Hebrew into Latin? We can say for certain that even if Isaiah 14 does refer to the devil, Lucifer is not the proper name of the devil, but rather, a mere translation of the name.

Rather, if Luther, Calvin, and numerous church fathers are wrong, and Origen and Tertullian, both anathematized heretics, and the Bogomils and Cathars* (who were Gnostic heretics who also believed that the devil was named Lucifer), are right, then the most correct translation of this alleged original name of Satan would be Helel ben Shachar, because that is the phrase in Isaiah 14 translated as Lucifer. It certainly would not be a word from a language that the early Church did not even use in worship, or bother translating the Bible into, until the second century.**

I would note the only legitimate Church Father who was not a heretic who considered Isaiah 14 to refer to the devil was St. Augustine of Hippo, who was greatly admired by Luther and Calvin, who nonetheless disagreed with him on this and many other issues, but Augustine never referred to the devil as Lucifer. And why not? Because St. Augustine, being a scholar, would have read Isaiah as much from the Greek Septuagint as from the Vulgate, and also knew the Vulgate was not using Lucifer as a proper noun, but was a mere translation of the Hebrew. And St. Augustine had an even more compelling reason to not refer to the devil as Lucifer, more compelling than respect for St. Lucifero the Martyr and St. Lucifer the Bishop of Cagliari, the fact that John the Baptist and indeed our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ are referred to as the morning star in various ancient Latin hymns, thus, calling them Lucifer, including Aeterne rerum conditor a hymn written by St. Ambrose of Milan, which refers to our Lord Jesus Christ as the Morning Star, as Lucifer. St. Ambrose of Milan was St. Augustine’s mentor and catechist, who persuaded him to convert to Christianity from Manichaean Gnosticism, and who baptized him into the Church; the two great Latin fathers even wrote a hymn together, the famed Te Deum Laudamus, which is one of the most popular hymns and is also one of the canticles sung in Morning Prayer in the Church of England.

St. Hilary of Poitiers, another church father, who is considered along with St. Athanasius of Alexandria to be one of the two staunchest opponents of the heresy of Arius, who denied the deity of Jesus Christ and considered him a creature, wrote the hymn Lucis largitor splendide, which also refers to our Lord Jesus Christ as the Morning Star, in Latin, and thus as Lucifer, which St. Augustine would also have been familiar with, given that the Church during Augustine’s career as a writer in the 5th century regarded Athanasius of Alexandria and Hilary of Poitiers as heroes for their role in fighting Arianism, almost by themselves, during the dark years following the death of Emperor Constantine, when Arianism replaced Christianity as the state religion of the Roman Empire and Athanasius was exiled from his native Egypt to Trier, then the main base of the crumbling Western Empire’s increasingly unsuccessful military operations against invading Germanic tribes, and Hilary of Poitiers was his only deeply committed faithful friend and supporter who absolutely refused the idea of any compromise with the Arians.

In conclusion, based on the entirety of the evidence, we can say that Scripture does not reveal the original name of Satan to be Lucifer. It is possible his name was Helel ben Schahar, but not Lucifer, a Latin word referring to the Morning Star, which was used by two of the most pious Christians of the fourth century, St. Ambrose of Milan and St. Hilary of Poitiers, to refer to our lord and savior Jesus Christ, and a word which St. Augustine, the only orthodox Church Father who believed Isaiah 14 referred to the devil, and not Nebuchadnezzar, did not use when discussing that passage. Because indeed he was catechized and baptized by St. Ambrose, who did refer to our Lord as the Morning Star in a Latin hymn. Rather, as Martin Luther and John Calvin insisted, Isaiah 14 refers to Nebuchadnezzar and has nothing to do with our adversary the evil one, “the prince of the power of the air.”***

Does the devil even have a name? Satan, the accuser, is not really a name. Perhaps one could argue the evil one, having rejected God, has destroyed his person to the point where he has no name, only job descriptions.

* The Bogomils had a false Gnostic Gospel, which survives, in which the devil is referred to as Lucifer: Book of the Secret Supper - Wikipedia This book was adopted by the Cathars, who were Gnostics who abhorred marriage (a Cathar who received the Consolamenum and became a member of the Perfecti, their spiritual elite, as all who were unmarried were encouraged to do, vowed to not marry, as procreation was a sin in the Cathar faith, a view common to other Gnostic sects such as Manichaeanism.

** The Church in Rome worshipped in Greek until the reign of Archbishop Victor in the late second century AD, who, to reach the less educated Romans, the city’s poor, who did not know Greek, very commendably instituted Latin worship and commissioned the original Latin Bible, known today as the Vetus Latina. This translation was directly translated from the Greek Septuagint and the Greek New Testament and was written in exquisite Classical Latin, and phrases from it remain in use in Christian worship in the Western churches to this day, most notably, Gloria in Exclesis Deo. There were known errors in the Vetus Latina, and as a result St. Jerome was commissioned by his Archbishop of Rome (an office later styled as Pope), to translate a more accurate Latin Bible; Jerome did this, translating directly from Hebrew and Aramaic texts where they were available. His Vulgate is translated into the somewhat more vernacular Latin of the fourth century, which was already in the process of breaking up into four languages which would be the ancestors of French and Waloonian, Spanish and Portuguese, the numerous languages of Italy, and Romanian, Dalamatian and Arromanian. An example of the stylistic decline of the Vulgate vs. the Vetus Latina is demonstrated by it rendering “Glory to God in the Highest” as Gloria in Altissimus Deo, rather than Gloria in Excelsis Deo.

*** In some Eastern Orthodox monasteries, this is interpreted literally, and the brethren are strongly discouraged from gazing at the sky, because of the risk of falling into delusion due to the activities of the devil.
This is all very interesting, but a point of discernment came up.

Wouldn't it be safer to not speak the name of a demon out loud?

Having a fake name attributed to no one actually works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Keep reminding God's people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. (2 Timothy 2:14)

But to you I say, to the rest that are in Thyatira, as many as have not this teaching, who know not the deep things of Satan, as they are wont to say; I cast upon you none other burden. (Revelation 2:24)

Upvote 0

Refirened

May 18, 2020
Midlands
✟4,224.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome! If you search the scriptures with discernment, you will realize the identity of Lucifer. The dictionary is not Christian and takes the stance of urban legend.
Be blessed.

I'm sure you will understand why I will rather lean towards the opinions of qualified academic professionals and Biblical scholars.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Refirened

May 18, 2020
Midlands
✟4,224.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Heylel in Isaiah was translated to Eosforos from Hebrew to the Greek Lexicon, then to Lucifer from the Greek Lexicon to the Latin Vulgate.
In Revelation, the Greek Lexicon's word for star was Aster. So, tell me how you get the morning star out of two different words in the Latin? On top of that, it's referring to two different people.

Post your credentials to show why we should trust your opinion over biblical scholars and compilers of dictionaries. You have an idea in your head that cannot be proved which you believe in even after I have presented the facts from multiple sources derived from academic professionals who are qualified to define the meanings of words. for example the word Delusion.

Definition of delusion

1a: something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagatedunder the delusion that they will finish on scheduledelusions of grandeur
bpsychology : a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrarythe delusion that someone was out to hurt himalso : the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟677,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recently watched a lecture where they explained Lucifer was a name for the planet Venus, the so called Morning Star. It's part symbolic since next to the sun it is the brightest object and fights against the sunrise to stay visible, a sort of rebellion against the sunrise, or something like that. The name Lucifer is discussed about 13 min 30 seconds into this clip and ends around 19 minutes:

The same youtube channel 'The Bible Project" publishes a lot of informative videos. More on Satan:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure you will understand why I will rather lean towards the opinions of qualified academic professionals and Biblical scholars instead of you. Tell me the words you use how did you come to understand their meanings ? Its strange how they match dictionary definitions hey.

I know who Lucifer is
Whew! Much better post. Thanks for changing. Anyway, I often reference the Jewish encyclopedia when it comes to the Old Testament. Lucifer is actually the King of Babylon.
Be blessed!

LUCIFER - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Upvote 0