Love ourselves for our weaknesses too?

ClosetoDeath

Dec 19, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
I don't flog myself for confession, but today at church, the priest said something I couldn't entirely understand.

I'll try to summarize:
"Through Christ we have learned that we can follow God's example despite our human nature, we can go beyond nature etc. Love when feeling hatred. Forgive instead of revenge. Endurance instead of... etc. etc.
However, we must remember to love ourselves both for our light and weaknesses. How else can we learn to love our brothers and sisters, especially when they have their failings?"

In my personal experience, if I don't feel a sense of punishment or guilt towards my sins and weaknesses, I am not encouraged to change them. Indeed, the more I accept them, the less I am inspired to live according to my Christian ideals.
However, if I have a strong inner voice and know through my prayers that I reject those parts of me, I can reject them seamlessly and behave as if my human nature (most of its bad sides at least) didn't even exist :)
(or perhaps, it is a kind of self-imposed reward psychology, by which I self-inspire myself to positive/idealistic action by vehemently denying my "flesh")
Anyway, once again, I have never felt bad doing so (unlike most people report). In fact, feel I have led a much better, healthier and happier lifestyle this way.

What do you think about the words of the priest?

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
However, we must remember to love ourselves both for our light and weaknesses. How else can we learn to love our brothers and sisters, especially when they have their failings?"
I see what you're saying. I think he means that we get critical of others when we are overly critical of ourselves. Impatience. Scrutiny. Not understanding their sufferings.

People can also get so down on themselves, that they lose hope or obsess over failures. Think about conversations with too many self-deprecating phrases like "I am so stupid," "I'm really bad at that," ... the focus remains on the person who is asking/pretending to have the focus taken away from them.

I think the priest had something in mind that he didn't fully explain. Annoying.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I took the priest's words to mean that we're not perfect, like God. But we can love ourselves despite our imperfections and in doing so learn to embrace others despite their shortcomings. I always think of it as "I'm a work in progress" - yup still got things to improve on so hard for me to stand in judgement of others. So I need to remember that when dealing with others - that they too are "works in progress". :)

Upvote 0

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you are exceptionally strong mentally. I know that when my mind is working normally, I can also, on the wings of prayer, reject the bad parts of me. But if I am in inward conflict this isn't so easy anymore. I find it very helpful if other people do not simply go down hard on others and don't scold them. We can and should be firm and not start to follow the wrong direction, but we don't need to be aggressive. Gentleness is a fruit of the spirit and very much wanted by God. It's also good to work on being a reasonable human. To be reasonable includes not to expect too much from humans, and have your doctrines correct so as to know that everything depends on God's mercy and not so much on ourselves.

Upvote 0

ClosetoDeath

Dec 19, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
I don't really "hate" the people who have failings, but I develop a strong detachment from their behavior. e.g. if all my best childhood friends organize a sex party (or any other "harmless" or "socially reasonable" immoral activity) I don't go to it. However, since they are my best friends I would normally have a tendency to either be curious about the activity, feel a bit estranged by them or, if not, may even tend to "condone" or say "ah, as long as it doesn't hurt me, I'm fine with it." - Yet I feel that if I have a strong sense of "NO, YOU MY FRIENDS CAN DO BETTER", I am both encouraged to follow my own path (no sex party) and keep the authentic friendship with them.

Upvote 0

iamjcs

Dec 19, 2005
NE Alabama
✟2,345.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
1 Corinthians 15:40, 42-44 NIV
40 There are also heavenly bodies and there are earthly bodies; but the splendor of the heavenly bodies is one kind, and the splendor of the earthly bodies is another.
42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable;
43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power;
44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 NIV
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 11:30 NIV (similar to 2 Corinthians 12:5b)
If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear ClosetoDeath. To love oneself is to accept oneself kindly, with warts and all. When we realise that we are NOT without sin or wrongdoings, we accept that as the truth, and try our best to change. Do it gently and remember that Jesus came to save sinners, He is our Saviour and His love for us has washed us clean. We have to do now: Repent, exchange our selfish and unloving character for: Loving God with all our beings, and loving our neighbour ( all others, whether friends or not friends) as ourselves: gently and with loving kindness. Jesus knows all our weaknesses, and Jesus will help and guide us to become Overcomers. Jesus will also give us His Love and Joy to share with each other, and learn from each other. Christianity is also a loving relationship between our Saviour/Leader and our brothers and sisters. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ. P.S. God will see our love for each other and will bless us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Haha, closetodeath, I find your character strength pretty sexy. God bless you!

Quit committing adultery.

Matt. 5:27-28

27You have heard that it was said, YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';
28but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Secondly: God does not accept imperfection.

Matt. 5:48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Upvote 0

ClosetoDeath

Dec 19, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
I think instead of saying love ourselves for our weaknesses, the saying should be love ourselves in spite of our weaknesses.

wm

Now this makes more sense!

I kinda understand where these comments are coming from. Maybe sometimes people think that because of their weaknesses, they do not deserve to love or be loved in the Christian sense, i.e. they resist change/improvement or are fixed in their habits (maybe unwillingly) and lose hope.

I understand, I understand.

Yet also I sometimes feel it is a good excuse for statements such as
"I work in the adult industry. I am grateful to God for what he gave me. I believe in God and I wear the cross. But I am also aware that this is a weakness. I am aware that what I do is a sin, but my family is OK with it and my wife is OK with it. I seek their forgiveness every day. But I am sure this is how I earn my money."
(These are real! Google around if you want to double check!)

Or even
"I believe in God. I am totally aware of my sins and take up full responsibility for my sins, and will improve when I will want to."

Basically I think too much self-love for our "warts" can create enough space for self-righteous moral laxity.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. <-----> Matthew 5:48

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. <-----> Luke 6:36

Two renditions of the same proclamation.

wm

Not at all, but thanks for playing.

Luke 6:36 with concordance Be ye therefore merciful oiktirm&#333;n, as your Father also is merciful oiktirm&#333;n .

Matt 5 with concordance. Be ye therefore perfect teleios, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect teleios.

God requires perfection. Not excuses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Avatar, have you read what comes before this statement? Jesus clearly speaks about a perfection in love. We shall love like God loves.

And I haven't committed adultery. It is a matter of fact that a woman with resolve and character strength has an erotic attractiveness. Acknowledging that is not the same as looking at some lustfully.

Now step down from Moses' seat and hush back into Jesus' kingdom of grace.

Upvote 0