Loneliness (how lonely can one be before it becomes a sin)

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello, my name is friend of

I'm relatively new here. I recently read Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. Proverbs 18:1 said; A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire;
He rages against all wise judgment.

Upon reading this I felt a twinge of disappointment. Granted, I felt several little blips of elation and disappointment upon reading Proverbs altogether. But this one hits home a bit closer as I've spent so much time in my life burning bridges and pushing people who disappointed me (and vice versa) far away. I became expert at this art and even held some pride about it, as if it were a skill of vanity. Only now am I realizing how wrong it was of me to rob myself of sharing my existence by taking part in experiencing life with others. I thoroughly lament my former mindset.

I'm here now striving to correct this past desolete attitude towards people and I figured it would be easier to start connecting with a Christian community online, then finding more time in my week to seek a local Christian Church community in person. So far things are going okay, but along the way throughout life I now feel I did miss out on some formative years of social growth that I cannot now retrieve. Minor setback.

I also remember reading in the Bible recently that one is ""alive in the memory of all of those whose lives he touched"" (or something to that effect) ""a living man is one remembered fondly; a dead man is one who's passing brings rejoicing""

Again, don't quote me. I'm wondering if our salvation is in any way contingent on how many lives we touched in a positive way? (and Christ of course)

Reactions: Anguspure

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Proverbs 18)

The terrible sin I committed in my many years of loneliness and isolation was that for a long time I rejected Him as a friend.

I reasoned this because, through my teenage years and many times after that, even up until today, I longed so much for the real physical connection of another human being, and He can't speak with me eye to eye and He can't touch me in a physical sense (although I swear I once felt His arms around me).

I reasoned that if it was not good for Adam to be alone, then why was I left alone without even a friend, let alone a very close friend that Adam was given? And so to be honest I felt very resentful about the unanswered prayers as well.

It might all sound a little bit trite (it certainly did to me when people who are surrounded by friends told me this), but I have realized now that even if I long for another person to truly know me in this world, I really do have a person who knows me and loves me, and that His friendship is stronger, deeper and more reliable than the friendship of any person, and that I am not truly alone.

So to my mind the sin of loneliness is when we believe that we are completely alone in this world and thereby reject our closest friend.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, my name is friend of

I'm relatively new here. I recently read Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. Proverbs 18:1 said; A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire;
He rages against all wise judgment.

Upon reading this I felt a twinge of disappointment. Granted, I felt several little blips of elation and disappointment upon reading Proverbs altogether. But this one hits home a bit closer as I've spent so much time in my life burning bridges and pushing people who disappointed me (and vice versa) far away. I became expert at this art and even held some pride about it, as if it were a skill of vanity. Only now am I realizing how wrong it was of me to rob myself of sharing my existence by taking part in experiencing life with others. I thoroughly lament my former mindset.

I'm here now striving to correct this past desolete attitude towards people and I figured it would be easier to start connecting with a Christian community online, then finding more time in my week to seek a local Christian Church community in person. So far things are going okay, but along the way throughout life I now feel I did miss out on some formative years of social growth that I cannot now retrieve. Minor setback.

I also remember reading in the Bible recently that one is ""alive in the memory of all of those whose lives he touched"" (or something to that effect) ""a living man is one remembered fondly; a dead man is one who's passing brings rejoicing""

Again, don't quote me. I'm wondering if our salvation is in any way contingent on how many lives we touched in a positive way? (and Christ of course)

Salvation is not contingent upon your relationship with others.
We are designed for fellowship with God and that's all it takes.
Naturally, it's good if there are others around to socialize with.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Salvation is not contingent upon your relationship with others.
We are designed for fellowship with God and that's all it takes.
Naturally, it's good if there are others around to socialize with.
This to would have been my response once upon a time.
But now I have come to realize that, while the body is not necessary for a relationship with Christ, it is the very nature of the kingdom with Christ as the head, and it is through the body that we learn our sanctification.
Mere socializing is for the world. We are urged, now that we have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that we have sincere love for each other, to love one another deeply, from the heart. (1 Peter 1)

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As was said, salvation isn't dependent on what you have or haven't done. Although, keep in mind that taking action is a response to those genuinely saved. But we are greatly affected by what we do or don't do.

Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. (Daniel 12:3, 1984 NIV)

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Luke 6:38, 1984 NIV)

God “will give to each person according to what he has done.” To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. (Romans 2:6-8, 1984 NIV) (Don't confuse the second sentence as being a requirement for eternal life.)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This to would have been my response once upon a time.
But now I have come to realize that, while the body is not necessary for a relationship with Christ, it is the very nature of the kingdom with Christ as the head, and it is through the body that we learn our sanctification.
Mere socializing is for the world. We are urged, now that we have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that we have sincere love for each other, to love one another deeply, from the heart. (1 Peter 1)

Situations are different for everybody.

one-mans-island-leslie-joy-centeno.jpg

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Situations are different for everybody.
Your picture truly depicts my situation at the present time, and since my early teens, about 28 years now.
But my experience is that my circumstance does nothing to change the way in which things are meant to be, that is what His grace is for, and something different is what I hope for.

Upvote 0