Central Valley in California
✟8,977.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I understand about the 120 years is it was not a happy promise or anything like that. God says in Genesis 6:3 that he will not always strive with man and declares the 120 years. Before that people lived up to 900 years or more. And then comes the flood and those born after that would not live beyond 120. Chapter 6 of Genesis deals with wickedness of mankind. The Lord basically shortened our life span. It would seem to me he was not happy with mankind ... It's doubtful he would have been promising mankind anything akin to a reward. Can't speak for the Lord but I wouldn't want man going around behaving like they were for 900 years. Hence, the flood. Enough was enough. I would say the Lord was very good and gracious in giving us the 120. I'm curious. Does the world record or anything like that even reach 120?

I believe that Lilmiss has given the correct interpretation of this Scripture. I was going to give it myself if she hadn't beat me to it. It just goes to show how teachers will take Scriptures out of context and build a doctrine out of it and feed it to scripturally ignorant people who want to hear something good. What that Scripture means is that God basically said nobody from now on is going to live beyond 120 years because of the depravity that previously existed. Ps. 139 says that our days were numbered before there were any. That means God already knows how long each of us is going to live before we even take a single breath. This includes all the dumb decsions etc. etc we make. God still knows when its over for every one of us. And if He is ultimately deciding this. Who are we to argue? I think our best bet is to live as godly a life as we possibly can. That would be a very big bummer if I was counting on a teaching that promised me more time if I did this or that and it just didn't happen. That is heavy duty deception indeed. That ranks right up there with the ones who taught people if they just had enough faith maybe God might heal them of whatever disease they had. So they refused treatment and believed for their healing and ended up dying anyway. Then the poor surviving relatives are shocked with the heartless statement, "I guess he/she didn't have enough faith. Ouch!

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That means God already knows how long each of us is going to live before we even take a single breath. This includes all the dumb decsions etc. etc we make. God still knows when its over for every one of us. And if He is ultimately deciding this. Who are we to argue?

Don't know if I completely agree with that (and I hope I'm understanding you completely). King Heezekiah had a set number of days as well, and God added to them by 15 years (2 Kings 20:6). There also must be a flipside where days are subtracted from our 'set' amount of days as well.

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How many years are you claiming?

I have no great desire to stay. For myself, I would rather be with the Lord. But I am believing for enough days to see my childrens children living productive and grace filled lives in the service of our Lord.

Then I will be satisfied.

Peace...

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to live til I'm 120.

Someone said this is a promise which will be fulfilled IF we meet the conditions. But this would mean -
a) the promises of God are dependent on us for fulfilment.
b) those who die before this age - babies and so on - were not able to meet the conditions or did not have enough faith.
c) any Christian who dies sooner, say aged 70, is rewarded for their lack of faith by going to heaven and therefore gets to see the Lord sooner. Stay on this fallen and dying planet for another 50 years, or go to meet Jesus? Mmmmm - tough one.

I can't actually see that it would achieve anything anyway. The Lord does not need our efforts to serve him, and is able to save everyone without having to keep us alive for ages to make it happen. Long life on earth is not a sign to unbelievers of God's favour or presence; remaining faithful to him, speaking of him and sharing your faith in him, whatever life's circumstances may throw at you, is.

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Long life on earth is not a sign to unbelievers of God's favour or presence; remaining faithful to him, speaking of him and sharing your faith in him, whatever life's circumstances may throw at you, is.

I don't know if I agree with this. My wife and I minister to several people in who are in abusive relationships. Every now and again when we see them, there is a new bruise, or a new story of abuse. Yet they remain faithful to their spouse, and even defend him. Do you think their faithfulness reflects well at all on their spouse?

We know other people that are in blessed relationships. They bless each other, and care for each other. When we see them, we see them with a new gift from their spouse, or a new story of something the other did for them. This reflects well on their spouse, and on their relationship.

One is a much better witness than the other.

Peace...

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if I agree with this. My wife and I minister to several people in who are in abusive relationships. Every now and again when we see them, there is a new bruise, or a new story of abuse. Yet they remain faithful to their spouse, and even defend him. Do you think their faithfulness reflects well at all on their spouse?

No, but I'm not saying for one minute that Christians say "look at what God is like, he is a God who allows bad things to happen. If you become a Christian, you too can experience what I'm experiencing."

What I am saying is that I know several Christians who have been through illness and family tragedy and still kept their faith in God, and non Christians HAVE wondered at their faith and wanted to know the reason for it. It's happened to me. A man at our church is not a Christian, though he comes to church with his wife who, I think, is. At a recent event, he asked me (I am fairly new to the church) why I have to use a walking stick to get around. I told him about having had a slipped disc and resulting nerve damage, and then added "and I've got M.E as well." His immediate reply was "and yet you still have your faith." (He knows I'm a local preacher.) I was then able to tell him about God who is with me in all things, and has said that nothing can seperate us from his love. I got to explain my faith/the Gospel because he noticed my disability and wondered how I could believe in the midst of that. Of course we have to be prepared to speak of God and use any opening we can. But being faithful to God and praising him when there is little apparent reason to, is something that non Christians may not be able to understand, and may at least cause them to ask questions.

It is also true to say that living to a ripe old age is not necessarily proof that you have pleased God and been blessed by him; neither is perfect health, great wealth etc.

It's not what you have that's important, it's what you do with it.

Reactions: dkbwarrior
Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, but I'm not saying for one minute that Christians say "look at what God is like, he is a God who allows bad things to happen. If you become a Christian, you too can experience what I'm experiencing."

What I am saying is that I know several Christians who have been through illness and family tragedy and still kept their faith in God, and non Christians HAVE wondered at their faith and wanted to know the reason for it. It's happened to me. A man at our church is not a Christian, though he comes to church with his wife who, I think, is. At a recent event, he asked me (I am fairly new to the church) why I have to use a walking stick to get around. I told him about having had a slipped disc and resulting nerve damage, and then added "and I've got M.E as well." His immediate reply was "and yet you still have your faith." (He knows I'm a local preacher.) I was then able to tell him about God who is with me in all things, and has said that nothing can seperate us from his love. I got to explain my faith/the Gospel because he noticed my disability and wondered how I could believe in the midst of that. Of course we have to be prepared to speak of God and use any opening we can. But being faithful to God and praising him when there is little apparent reason to, is something that non Christians may not be able to understand, and may at least cause them to ask questions.

It is also true to say that living to a ripe old age is not necessarily proof that you have pleased God and been blessed by him; neither is perfect health, great wealth etc.

It's not what you have that's important, it's what you do with it.

Good explanation. Thank you.

I would hazard to say that strength to endure is a gift from God. It is a good testimony.

But there are many disabled who are not saved that endure also, just as you say there are many who live long lives who are not saved. Living with a disablility is no more proof that you have pleased God and been blessed by Him, than perfect health, or great wealth.

It is not what you have that is important, true, it is who you credit for what you have that makes a testimony. Whether that is strength from God to endure, or healing from God, or long life from God.

Peace...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good explanation. Thank you.

Thank you. I probably wasn't too clear the first time, so I apologise.

I would hazard to say that strength to endure is a gift from God.

Yes I think so too. It's certainly not of my doing - I'm a wimp. :D

But there are many disabled who are not saved that endure also, just as you say there are many who live long lives who are not saved.

I know. There are also many non Christians who do good works, found charities and achieve good things. Doing good is not something that just Christians do, and is no proof that we believe in God.
Maybe it's not what we do or endure that matters; it's our attitude in these things, and, as you say, who we credit for it.
Scripture tells us to give thanks in all circumstances (1 Thess. 5:17-18). I suspect it's this kind of attitude, plus that of being able to forgive and show love to enemies, that will catch the world's attention; because by their standards, it's unnatural.

Living with a disablility is no more proof that you have pleased God and been blessed by Him, than perfect health, or great wealth.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I believe disability to be a blessing from God? :o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I feel very compelled to add this part ... not because I'm not alright with this because I've already worked through the harm others unintentionally impart but because I know there will be those that aren't alright. I've buried two sons and two grandsons ... my son Joe died after coming home from serving this country in the first gulf war ... my other son died in a car accident ... one grandson from crib death and another only lived a few hours ... my daughter told the doctors for months something was wrong and they kept telling her no there wasn't. If I'm to believe that all it takes is believing that they would have lived longer then they'd be here ... well if I'm to believe that then I wouldn't have any sanity because I would have to believe it was all my fault for not believing enough ... I say hogwash ... I don't have that kind of power and I don't believe anyone else does, either ... God does what He does because He has reasons beyond our understanding ... and I think we insult God everytime we try to put man's spin on things ...

... as to Hezekiah ... God had His reasons and this person doesn't believe it was because Hezekiah believed enough or as I've seen others try to do with God ... moan and cry and throw a big enough tantrum that they think God will change His mind ... it took me awhile to understand why Joe died the way He did ... and then the Lord explained it to me ...

It was because it was his time because the Lord said so and it's not about me ... so if it's not about me it doesn't matter how much I believe ... if God says no the answer is still no ...

I don't mean this post to hurt anyone's feelings but I know these posts are going to hurt someones feelings ... and I'm here to put down the other side of the story ... God bless

Reactions: dkbwarrior
Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm curious. Does the world record or anything like that even reach 120?

1. The World's Oldest Person Who Ever Lived
The greatest fully-authenticated age to which any human has ever lived is 122 years 164 days by Madam Jeanne Louise Calment of FRANCE. She was born on February 21, 1875 and died on August 4, 1997. Centenarians surviving beyond age 114 is an extremely rare occurrence. It is thought that only one 115-year life can be expected per 2.1 billion persons.
2. The World's Oldest Male Who Ever Lived
The greatest age for any man was 120 years 237 days. Mr. Shigechiyo Izumi of Isen on Tokunoshima, an island 820 miles (1,320 Km) Southwest of Japan, was born on June 29, 1865 and died on February 21, 1986. He worked until he was 105. He drank Sho-chu (distilled from barley) and took up smoking at the age of 70. He attributed his long life to "God, Buddha, and the Sun."
3. The Current World's Oldest Living Person is an American Woman
Mrs. Maude Ferris-Luse (neé Davis) born on January 21, 1887 in Morley, Michigan now at age 114 is currently the world's oldest living person whose date-of-birth can be fully authenticated.
4. The Current World's Oldest Living Male is an Italian Man
At age 112, Mr. Antonio Todde, born on January 22, 1889 in Tiana, Sardinia, ITALY, is the oldest living man in the world. He claims his longevity is the result of a lifetime of hard work and a daily glass of locally produced red wine. Sardinia's exceptionally high concentration of centenarians is attributed mainly to genetics. Both of Antonio's parents lived well into their 90's, and his four children are all living and now in their 80's.

http://www.grg.org/Guinness2002.htm

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
1. The World's Oldest Person Who Ever Lived
The greatest fully-authenticated age to which any human has ever lived is 122 years 164 days by Madam Jeanne Louise Calment of FRANCE. She was born on February 21, 1875 and died on August 4, 1997. Centenarians surviving beyond age 114 is an extremely rare occurrence. It is thought that only one 115-year life can be expected per 2.1 billion persons.
2. The World's Oldest Male Who Ever Lived
The greatest age for any man was 120 years 237 days. Mr. Shigechiyo Izumi of Isen on Tokunoshima, an island 820 miles (1,320 Km) Southwest of Japan, was born on June 29, 1865 and died on February 21, 1986. He worked until he was 105. He drank Sho-chu (distilled from barley) and took up smoking at the age of 70. He attributed his long life to "God, Buddha, and the Sun."
3. The Current World's Oldest Living Person is an American Woman
Mrs. Maude Ferris-Luse (neé Davis) born on January 21, 1887 in Morley, Michigan now at age 114 is currently the world's oldest living person whose date-of-birth can be fully authenticated.
4. The Current World's Oldest Living Male is an Italian Man
At age 112, Mr. Antonio Todde, born on January 22, 1889 in Tiana, Sardinia, ITALY, is the oldest living man in the world. He claims his longevity is the result of a lifetime of hard work and a daily glass of locally produced red wine. Sardinia's exceptionally high concentration of centenarians is attributed mainly to genetics. Both of Antonio's parents lived well into their 90's, and his four children are all living and now in their 80's.

http://www.grg.org/Guinness2002.htm

cool! it fits, doesn't it ... thank you :)

Upvote 0

prayergal

Instrument of Peace
Sep 29, 2007
Central Valley in California
✟8,977.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't know if I completely agree with that (and I hope I'm understanding you completely). King Heezekiah had a set number of days as well, and God added to them by 15 years (2 Kings 20:6). There also must be a flipside where days are subtracted from our 'set' amount of days as well.

Is it not God who decided to add to them? The decison was still ultimately in His hands to grant the extra time. It wasn't Hezekiah's decision. My point was that it is God who determines how many days we have. That he knows how long we will have. God gave Hezekiah more time because he prayed and asked for it. And there also are examples in Scripture of evil people having their days cut short becase of their evil choices. God reveals Himself as omniscient. I have to assume that includes the spans of our lives and much, much more. That is what Ps. 139 reveals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it not God who decided to add to them? The decison was still ultimately in His hands to grant the extra time. It wasn't Hezekiah's decision. My point was that it is God who determines how many days we have. That he knows how long we will have. God gave Hezekiah more time because he prayed and asked for it. And there also are examples in Scripture of evil people having their days cut short becase of their evil choices. God reveals Himself as omniscient. I have to assume that includes the spans of our lives and much, much more.

I realize that. It was actually the point of my post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 8, 2006
✟9,707.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I don't plan on dying. I choose to believe I am that generation that "is alive and REMAIN" (Thessolonians) unto the coming of the Lord (rapture).

Hey, if I believe that I will die of sickness at age 70+ or 80+, then that doesn't require faith and I would be no different from the people of the world.

So I have asked the Lord many times to keep me alive till He raptures me. I have no wish to taste death. Hey, at least I asked.

Reactions: Faithful Love
Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't plan on dying. I choose to believe I am that generation that "is alive and REMAIN" (Thessolonians) unto the coming of the Lord (rapture).

Hey, if I believe that I will die of sickness at age 70+ or 80+, then that doesn't require faith and I would be no different from the people of the world.

So I have asked the Lord many times to keep me alive till He raptures me. I have no wish to taste death. Hey, at least I asked.

This is the crux of the issue for me. Good for you.

I never want to be the one arguing against poeple believing for the impossible. After all, it was Jesus who said, "With God, all things are possible."

That is why it bothers me when poeple say things like, "Well what about so-and-so, they believed they would be healed, and look what happened." I always so, "So what?" "I'm sorry for your loss, but don't stop believing God. Never stop believing God."

I am sorry for those who have lost loved ones. I have too. But we cannot let our losses steal our willingness to believe.

Jesus has been set at the right hand of the Father, until his enemies be made His footstool. Who is going to make His enemies His footstool? I believe it is the church, His body on earth.

While on the one hand I believe that the world is going to get worse and worse, I also believe that the church is going to shine brighter and brighter.

I personally believe that when the rapture happens, it will happen because we the church finally come to the unity of the faith, to the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ, to a perfect man, and the last enemy is finally defeated, death, and at that point we will have a collective Enoch moment, and be translated.

That is when Christ stands up from where He is seated, and says, "It is time..."

Peace...

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
interesting ... do you suppose if I believe enough God will break down and return my love ones right now ... here today ... sitting right next to me so I can see them and love them again in this life time ... I was never arguing against believing the impossible ... what I'm trying to say is we can't do anything to change what God has decided ... including believing enough ... if that were the case we wouldn't need grace ... we could just believe it so ... or truth ... we could just believe it so ... or mercy ... we could just believe it so ... or being saved ... we could just believe it so ... or riches or glory or whatever we want ... we should just believe it ... the person with no arms and legs should just believe they will be back when they wake up in the morning ... well. Im here to tell you if believing could bring back my loved ones they'd be here ... I'd be interested in that formula for "enough" ... Is it when you can't cry any more or is it when you're so angry at God you yell at him or is it when you're so exhausted from it all you just really don't care any more or is it when you carry guilt around because you didn't believe "enough" ... please! tell me ... when have I believed enough ...

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
interesting ... do you suppose if I believe enough God will break down and return my love ones right now ... here today ... sitting right next to me so I can see them and love them again in this life time ... I was never arguing against believing the impossible ... what I'm trying to say is we can't do anything to change what God has decided ... including believing enough ... if that were the case we wouldn't need grace ... we could just believe it so ... or truth ... we could just believe it so ... or mercy ... we could just believe it so ... or being saved ... we could just believe it so ... or riches or glory or whatever we want ... we should just believe it ... the person with no arms and legs should just believe they will be back when they wake up in the morning ... well. Im here to tell you if believing could bring back my loved ones they'd be here ... I'd be interested in that formula for "enough" ... Is it when you can't cry any more or is it when you're so angry at God you yell at him or is it when you're so exhausted from it all you just really don't care any more or is it when you carry guilt around because you didn't believe "enough" ... please! tell me ... when have I believed enough ...

Normally, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. I have no desire to compound anyones loss, or cause them to harden their heart. I will answer you however, because I have been reading your posts long enough to think that we can respect each others differences of opinion.

You should never feel guilty about not believing enough. Should I feel guilty for not taking enough self defense lessons to protect my mother when whe was robbed? Should I feel guilty for not thinking ahead enough to be carrying a gun? Both things could have stopped my mother from being robbed, but that doesn't make it my fault.

It is the robbers fault. Not mine.

Why would you have to change Gods mind? He has already given us eternal life. That question assumes that God took your loved ones, and mine. I don't put that blame on God. Nor do I put that blame on myself. I put that blame squarely where it belongs, on the devil.

I believe it is the trick of the devil to get us to argue over whether it is Gods fault, or ours. It is neither. It is the enemies.

The thing about self-defense is that there is always more to learn. You can never learn all there is to know about self-defense. Faith is like that, you can never know it all. Faith comes from God, specifically from His Word. We cant have all faith, because we cant have all knowledge, or all of Gods Word. It is a continual process.

And yes, they will come back. Not when you believe enough, but when we all believe enough. That kind of faith, or all faith, is collective, we all have a part, and it will be manifested in the rapture.

I hope this answers your question.

Peace...

Reactions: Faithful Love
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.