Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am optimistic that there will be future conversations between Orthodoxy and the Continuing Anglican movement. As the Continuing Anglican churches in this country move closer toward real union (the APA, ACC, ACA, and DHC are taking some big steps) it will perhaps make these kinds of conversations more feasible.
This (joining Orthodoxy) won't happen, although there are occasionally flirtations and feelers, mainly involving the Anglican Catholic Church or the ACNA (not a Continuing Anglican body but often confused for one).

One reason is that all the "flirtations and feelers" that were floated in earlier years resulted in the Anglicans being treated like catechumens (as might have been expected from the Orthodox representatives).

Another is that the various Continuing bodies are newly interested in drawing closer together themselves, as you noted.

Upvote 0

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This (joining Orthodoxy) won't happen, although there are occasionally flirtations and feelers, mainly involving the Anglican Catholic Church or the ACNA (not a Continuing Anglican body but often confused for one).

One reason is that all the "flirtations and feelers" that were floated in earlier years resulted in the Anglicans being treated like catechumens (as might have been expected from the Orthodox representatives).

Another is that the various Continuing bodies are newly interested in drawing closer together themselves, as you noted.
Well not only that but the ACNA and the continuing bodies are all still trying to figure out if they can actually draw closer together and what form that would take no? I mean if you're not even established as your own unified body yet, it's hard to have feelers out to the Orthodox at the same time. Plus there is the whole issue of the protestant side of any Anglican body, particularly the ACNA. How would that fold into the Orthodox who are decidedly NOT protestant in their practice or theology?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well not only that but the ACNA and the continuing bodies are all still trying to figure out if they can actually draw closer together and what form that would take no?
No. I am not a prophet or fortune teller and I don't want to sound like a naysayer all the time, but I think this (ACNA+Continuers) is even less likely than some rapprochement between the more Catholic of the Continuing Anglican bodies and Eastern Orthodoxy--but for different reasons, of course.

I mean if you're not even established as your own unified body yet, it's hard to have feelers out to the Orthodox at the same time.
I have to agree to the logic of that statement, but we also have to realize that there are substantial--and I do mean substantial--differences between ACNA and the Continuing churches. Don't assume that because both are Anglican and not ECUSA that they are brothers under the skin, differing mainly by when they came out of ECUSA.

Plus there is the whole issue of the protestant side of any Anglican body, particularly the ACNA. How would that fold into the Orthodox who are decidedly NOT protestant in their practice or theology?
My personal opinion is that it cannot.

But in addition to all of that, we are jumping the gun at the least to talk as though there's some brewing hope on the part of any of these Anglican bodies in HAVING some union with Eastern Orthodoxy. The evidence for that is really lacking IMHO.

Reactions: Padres1969
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
@Simon Crosby, @Padre1969 , @Feuerbach , @shanethetheolgian , @SteveCaruso

This was originally intended to be a traditionalist liturgy for Methodist use. . .

An interesting project. Two things stood out to me quickly: The Our Father is quite early in the order of service and I noticed the rubric called for intinction as the method of distribution of the Supper. I'm going to re-read the anaphoras when I have more time and tell you which one's I like best but the compilation of materials is eclectic and I actually like that.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
An interesting project. Two things stood out to me quickly: The Our Father is quite early in the order of service and I noticed the rubric called for intinction as the method of distribution of the Supper. I'm going to re-read the anaphoras when I have more time and tell you which one's I like best but the compilation of materials is eclectic and I actually like that.

Intinction was actually there owing to that service being written with Methodist use in mine,

The collection of anaphoras represents specifically the oldest known complete anaphorae that would not require some degree of emendation, for example, the Didache. There are a few that could be added: the Roman canon, which I intend to do (the result would look something like the Anglican anaphora), the Coptic anaphora of St. Gregory the Thrologian, which is as ood as the Syro-Byzantine anaphora of St. John Chrysostom, although I have no idea where it came from originally as it is structurallt anomalous compared to the other Alexandrian liturgies, and the anaphora found in the Apostolic Constitutions (IIRC there are two, one of which ill-informed 19th century liturgiologists liked to call "The Divine Liturgy ot St. Thomas."

One can make a very good case based on the praxis of the Anglican Communion Churches in Mexico and Spain (Inforget their formal name) to include also an anaphora based on the Mozarabic Rite, but the Mozarabic "canon" is extremely variable accordimg to propers, and thus an editorial decision has to be made which given the relative lack of Mozarabic material in my library, I am ill equipped to make. Although I could just copy or rather translate whatever is in the Spanish or Mexican equivalents of the BCP.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
One can make a very good case based on the praxis of the Anglican Communion Churches in Mexico and Spain (Inforget their formal name) to include also an anaphora based on the Mozarabic Rite, but the Mozarabic "canon" is extremely variable accordimg to propers, and thus an editorial decision has to be made which given the relative lack of Mozarabic material in my library, I am ill equipped to make. Although I could just copy or rather translate whatever is in the Spanish or Mexican equivalents of the BCP.

My wife is a native Spanish speaker (Puerto Rican) and the Mexican BCP is her favorite Spanish edition.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Simon Crosby, @Padre1969 , @Feuerbach , @shanethetheolgian , @SteveCaruso

When the inability to find a local UMC parish that was both broadly traditional in terms of liturgics (organ music, hymns from the actual hymnal) and theologically conservative (it tended to be either/or) drove me to Orthodoxy,

;)

I feel your pain. The UMC churches around here are solidly low-church.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0