Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In Catholic tradition the prayers of the church are written in a liturgy. The Religious and Priests have a calling from the church and from God to pray always and the liturgy of the hours (the work of God) is the church's way of fulfilling this calling. There are seven hours in which this liturgical prayer is said. The length of the liturgy for each hour varies. The hours are
  • Office of Readings
  • Morning Prayer
  • Terce
  • Sext
  • None
  • Evening Prayer
  • Night Prayer

Here is a video with an explanation of the liturgy. The Liturgy is often called The Divine Office.

Last edited:

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The length of the liturgy for each hour varies. The hours are
  • Office of Readings
  • Morning Prayer
  • Terce
  • Sext
  • None
  • Evening Prayer
  • Night Prayer

Here is a video with an explanation of the liturgy. The Liturgy is often called The Divine Office.

How often do they observe these 7 hours?
( I don't watch most video in a text based forum)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
not for individual monks, but yes it goes on world wide 24/7. The church is always at prayer.

The monks and priests observe it every day.

What is the "idea" of a Monk?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
A Catholic monk is a man who has taken vows of poverty, chastity (celibacy) and obedience. They are the male equivalents of nuns. And yes, praying the Liturgy of the Hours is a core discipline for any monk.

A monk can also be a priest but doesn't have to be. A priest can be a monk but doesn't have to be. Think of two circles, one labled religious (monks) and one labeled priesthood: the circles overlap but are not entirely identical.

All monastic orders use the Liturgy of the Hourse to pray. However, some orders are more contemplative (meaning they spend more time in private prayer and study) and other orders have other charisms (gifts) such as service to the poor or missions. It is very traditional for orders to work hard to be self sufficient, raising their own food for example. Some monasteries offer group or private retreats.

A few other things should be noted. The first is that although chastity usually refers to celibacy, it can also refer to faithfulness in marriage, and there are monastic groups like the third order Franciscans who labor as religious within their marriages to assist the poor; they also pray the liturgy, etc.

The second thing is that the vow of poverty technically means that the individual owns no private property; it doesn't mean they are starving. There are times when a monastery might be flourishing and its monks living in such luxery that although they are technically keeping their vow of poverty they might be said to be violating its spirit.

Finally, while the Catholic church is most often thought of when it comes to monks and nuns, it is worth noting that the Eastern Orthodox have as long a tradition, and so do the Anglicans.

Well that's about most of what all I know. I hope that it was helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoreCoffee
Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is the "idea" of a Monk?

"All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. ...For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need." Acts 4:32 - 35

"For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others--and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." Matthew 19:12

"How wonderful and pleasant it is when brothers live together in harmony!" Psalm 133:1

"They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, Praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." Acts 2:42-47

"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." Luke 5:16

"I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarrieda and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do" 1 Corinthians 7:7-8

Orthodox have these prayers as well - all Traditional Churches do I believe. We don't call them by those names, however (Obviously - they're Latin) but are just called Matins, First Hour, Sixth Hour, Ninth Hour, Vespers, and Compline.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ancient Faith Radio has an audio series of Prayers of the Hours.

They include Matins, First Hour, Third Hour, Sixth Hour, Ninth Hour, Vespers, Compline, and Midnight Prayers.

I'm not sure if there is something exactly prescribed as only Compline is in my Prayer Book, but there are all kinds of suggested prayers for other times. The lengths range from less than 2 minutes to almost 10 minutes. Compline seems about the right length (it takes about ten minutes to read) but the service of Matins at Church lasts over an hour, and this one is under 10 minutes.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ancient Faith Radio has an audio series of Prayers of the Hours.

They include Matins, First Hour, Third Hour, Sixth Hour, Ninth Hour, Vespers, Compline, and Midnight Prayers.

I'm not sure if there is something exactly prescribed as only Compline is in my Prayer Book, but there are all kinds of suggested prayers for other times. The lengths range from less than 2 minutes to almost 10 minutes. Compline seems about the right length (it takes about ten minutes to read) but the service of Matins at Church lasts over an hour, and this one is under 10 minutes.

The main hours take about 15 to 20 minutes. The others (terce, sext, none) take about 10 minutes. And the Office of Reading can take as much as 30 minutes.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The main hours take about 15 to 20 minutes. The others (terce, sext, none) take about 10 minutes. And the Office of Reading can take as much as 30 minutes.

I wasn't sure. When I've been to Vespers, it's usually just under an hour, but Great Vespers is longer. Matins is over an hour. But those are Church services ... I know there are things that happen during Matins that probably increase the time, as well as I'm sure the daily hymnography is not included - unless one has all the books necessary to look them all up. That's way beyond me. :)

I just found the one on AFR today, and intend to download it. So far I've had only my prayer books to go by, and while they don't exactly outline all of the others, they do have suggestions for some of them. And none would be shorter than 10 minutes. That's with pretty fast reading too. Compline actually takes me a while to get through, and some parts are marked to skip if there is no priest to pray them.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't sure. When I've been to Vespers, it's usually just under an hour, but Great Vespers is longer. Matins is over an hour. But those are Church services ... I know there are things that happen during Matins that probably increase the time, as well as I'm sure the daily hymnography is not included - unless one has all the books necessary to look them all up. That's way beyond me. :)

I just found the one on AFR today, and intend to download it. So far I've had only my prayer books to go by, and while they don't exactly outline all of the others, they do have suggestions for some of them. And none would be shorter than 10 minutes. That's with pretty fast reading too. Compline actually takes me a while to get through, and some parts are marked to skip if there is no priest to pray them.

If the hours are sung in a monastic community then each one takes a while because they sing about 4 or 5 psalms. Expect it to last 30 mins or a little more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the hours are sung in a monastic community then each one takes a while because they sing about 4 or 5 psalms. Expect it to last 30 mins or a little more.

God willing, I will have the chance to find out. :)

Thank you.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God willing, I will have the chance to find out. :)

Thank you.
There is a web site that gives the text of the hours and also a recording of people reciting each hour. Here's the link. I hope you find it profitable.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a web site that gives the text of the hours and also a recording of people reciting each hour. Here's the link. I hope you find it profitable.
Thank you for the link!

What I meant is that I hope to visit a monastery in a few weeks ... ;) ... But the link sounds very helpful! Thanks again. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums