Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When the contemplative journey was discussed on OBOB, many thought of it as a rejected path, a discipline of the Orthodox

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...eaba9&ch=9d913200-f34c-11e4-8a1e-d4ae528eaba9

Without taking a stance on the Council of Chalcedon, which I think is more complex and has greater context in the goings on of it's time than is commonly understood, I like this column. Though I am not a big fan of some aspects of Eastern and Coptic Orthodoxy, I have read some of the desert fathers and find their mysticism a real strength of their tradition that is not necessarily as fully replicated in the west as might hope for. Theosis and divinization are I think important concepts that are somewhat analogous to sanctification, but which personally carry more meaning for me than sanctification, and to some degree a distinctive meaning.

As we gradually define what Liberal Catholicism is in the context of this forum, I would hope that one of the things that will be folded into this tradition is an openness to the traditions of the Eastern churches and of other faith traditions within and without of Christianity that help us on our spiritual walk rather than a defacto rejection of them simply because Roman Catholics didn't come up with them, or because some element of them contradicts an obscure point of theology.

Maybe we could do the contemplative journey here that OBOB rejected, if I am understanding correctly that you wanted to lead some sort of spiritual study or mediation over the course of several days like a bible study (Maybe I am misunderstanding and you were just speaking of it in general terms as to whether or not it is an acceptable practice or not.). What would be involved? Do you have a link to that thread? Or maybe could you could start fresh here and talk about what we'd expected to do each day to participate if you're prefer?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Without taking a stance on the Council of Chalcedon, which I think is more complex and has greater context in the goings on of it's time than is commonly understood, I like this column. Though I am not a big fan of some aspects of Eastern and Coptic Orthodoxy, I have read some of the desert fathers and find their mysticism a real strength of their tradition that is not necessarily as fully replicated in the west as might hope for. Theosis and divinization are I think important concepts that are somewhat analogous to sanctification, but which personally carry more meaning for me than sanctification, and to some degree a distinctive meaning.

As we gradually define what Liberal Catholicism is in the context of this forum, I would hope that one of the things that will be folded into this tradition is an openness to the traditions of the Eastern churches and of other faith traditions within and without of Christianity that help us on our spiritual walk rather than a defacto rejection of them simply because Roman Catholics didn't come up with them, or because some element of them contradicts an obscure point of theology.

Maybe we could do the contemplative journey here that OBOB rejected, if I am understanding correctly that you wanted to lead some sort of spiritual study or mediation over the course of several days like a bible study (Maybe I am misunderstanding and you were just speaking of it in general terms as to whether or not it is an acceptable practice or not.). What would be involved? Do you have a link to that thread? Or maybe could you could start fresh here and talk about what we'd expected to do each day to participate if you're prefer?

The discussion of the contemplative journey was not meant to suggest a bible study. The contemplative path is one of the honored paths within Christianity.

BTW, John Wesley understanding of sanctification and utter sanctification is very similar to the Orthodox understanding.

To be clear, I think that theosis is not some foreign idea. IMHO, without understanding this process, we greatly limit ourselves and our walk.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Over the years, my priests have taught differently.
It is the nature of humanity that we tend to assume that others are just like us. But it is not true. Some people have a natural ability to connect with God on a personal level. Others connect with God through scriptures and prayer, but hear no response.

If you are the sort that can hear God's voice, first of all, that's wonderful! Second, be wary of the tendency to confuse that voice with one's own intuition. And finally, don't assume that others have your gift -- it took me many years to realize how fortunate I was.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is the nature of humanity that we tend to assume that others are just like us. But it is not true. Some people have a natural ability to connect with God on a personal level. Others connect with God through scriptures and prayer, but hear no response.

If you are the sort that can hear God's voice, first of all, that's wonderful! Second, be wary of the tendency to confuse that voice with one's own intuition. And finally, don't assume that others have your gift -- it took me many years to realize how fortunate I was.

Your counsel is wise.

It is indeed to distinguish God's voice from our own voice speaking back at us.

Yes, I well understand that each of us has different gifts. I age been taught that some gifts are for all. Prayer is one of those gifts.

You understand that hearing God when we listen in prayer is a gift that only some folks have. I have a different understanding. While it is very, very often difficult to understand what God is saying when he speaks to us, I have been taught by so many that God speaks to us all in the privacy of our prayer. There are many, many tools to help us in our discernment. An example is the use of a spiritual diary. When one looks back after a few months of diligently entering daily prayers and thoughts, it often becomes clear that God is speaking to us.
===========
What I trying to be clear about is that prayer (communication with God; "speaking" and listening) is definitely not just for the mystics. It is for all of us. All of us have months, sometimes years, when we cannot discern His presence or message. There is much we can do. We can examine our life, including our prayer life. And after examination, we can do as God asked us to do; we can continue to pray. It is the personal promise of Jesus that if we ask (if we will but knock), Jesus will listen and answer.
========
As an aside, Fantine has published a wonderful site on Ignatian Spirituality with its daily "examen".

I recall when I taught the teens, as I was taught, about morning prayer and evening prayer. Some of the articles on this site helps us make these prayers more "useful", perhaps the word I am searching for is "effective".

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you for your reply.

I read somewhere that Mother Theresa heard God's voice when she was young, but then He became silent to her. She went through her whole life being obedient to a silent God. For someone who had that gift and lost it, it must have been very hard indeed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums