Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

License plate scanning cameras spread across U.

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Bubbahotep, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Guest

License plate scanning cameras spread across U.S. | Tulsa World

1984, here we come!

These plate scanners can be tapped into any database they have, with criteria being set that we have no say in, or knowledge of.

Now, while some will say this helps people catch the bad guys, I say at what cost to our liberty, anonymity, privacy and autonomy.

These cameras will be installed in more and more ways, so that eventually we'll be monitored by the "eye in the sky" wherever we go.

Fortunately, there are ways around this tech.

PHOTO BLOCKER License Plate Spray, $19.99, Makes Plates Invisible to Cameras! PHOTOBLOCKER, Anti Photoradar, Photo Radar Spray, Red Light Camera Protection, Avoid False Traffic Tickets.

I've already ordered me a can.

2. allhart

allhart Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
  3. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Guest

Infowars isn't the best of sources, though I rarely put anything past the thugs we have in office today.

4. EdwinWillers

EdwinWillers Buh bye!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
  5. RedDead1981

RedDead1981 Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Unitarian
    I don't really have a problem with this.

6. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Guest

You don't have a problem with an ever-expanding surveillance society where privacy and anonymity are outdated concepts?

7. RedDead1981

RedDead1981 Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Unitarian
    Depends on what the privacy and anonymity are being used for.

EdwinWillers likes this.
  8. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Guest

The thing about liberty is that it applies equally to the good and bad. My 4th Amendment rights are not contingent on what I do under protection of those rights.

9. Goodtry

Goodtry The Ancient

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Its not a particularly egregious breach of privacy if you ask me. Besides you don't really have a reasonable expectation of privacy when you're out driving around on public roads anyway.

10. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Guest

There is a reasonable expectation of privacy against this:

"That much information in one place makes it easy to "connect the dots" and track where a vehicle has been, revealing whether it stopped "at the opera or a strip club," Tien said."

By spying in this manner, the government could decipher patterns and habits from monitoring your isolated movements, things that would not happen in public otherwise.

11. Grizzly

Grizzly Enemy of Christmas Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Here's is what I am truly hoping. I am hoping that once Obama is out of office and a republican is president, that we keep hearing from you guys about civil liberties. Because I have to tell you, when Bush was pushing the Patriot Act down our throats, I didn't hear a peep from you. When Bush expanded presidential powers and wiretapping you guys were backing him up until his belly-button popped out.

Maybe this is something that we can both agree on? Individual liberties??

12. callmeMurph

callmeMurph BGTF

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    The difference between Bush and Obama is where they choose to waste our money.

EdwinWillers likes this.
  13. Umaro

Umaro Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Atheist
    I think I'd rather have a president waste money taking care of America than waste money killing brown people abroad.

14. callmeMurph

callmeMurph BGTF

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Let me know when you find one.

EdwinWillers likes this.
  15. Glas Ridire

Glas Ridire New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Celtic-Catholic
    Stationary cameras now? Huh. Hereabouts they have been using for a while the same tech mounted on squad car trunks. As the squad car patrols a street the system picks up cars of people with active warrants and flags cars with enough unpaid parking tickets to warrant a boot & there ya have it, warrants served and scoflaws booted.

Granted they make squad cars uglier, but it seems to have more actual law enforcement utility than stationary systems.

16. Supreme

Supreme Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Mod Supporter Staff on LOA

Faith:
    Protestant
    I can't remember the bit in 1984 where licence plate scanners brought doom to the populace. Can someone enlighten me?

17. Corey

Corey Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Deist
  18. Saving Hawaii

Saving Hawaii New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Christian
    It's on page 198, paragraph 4.

19. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Guest

I'm a libertarian. You don't want to pull that card on me cuz I'll cut ya with it.

And on the flip side, where are all those libs screaming about our liberties when Obama took power? Where were you when they shoved the individual mandate down our throats, or how about when Obama & Co. wanted the backdoor encryption keys to blackberries and such? What about all the outrage over Gitmo? Seems like it just disappeared over night.

Me thinks you might want to address the plank in your collective eyes before dealing with someone else's splinter.

20. acropolis

acropolis so rad

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Humanist
    There are many people on the left who are concerned and disappointed with what the Obama administration is doing, but they aren't going to seek you out personally to inform you, you actually have to go read what they're writing. Andrew Sullivan is the first that comes to mind, but there are many others out there.