Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This question is regarding the story of the Levite's concubine in Judges 19.

Do Christians think the concubine deserved to be raped to death? Was she "asking for it" (as modern people might phrase it)? If so what did she do to 'deserve it' or how was she 'asking for it'?

Hi Leah, the answers from the Christian perspective are: "of course not", "of course not", and "in no way did she deserve it" .. :preach:

Clearly Israel didn't condone this wicked behavior either since they went to war over it when the Tribe of Benjamin refused to hand over these "worthless fellows in Gibeah" so that they could "put them to death and remove this wickedness from Israel" (Judges 20:13).

Why Benjamin refused to turn them over I either missed or is not clear, but I'm saddened again that you believe Christians would condone such behavior. I realize that there are many who CALL themselves "Christians", but if they condone behavior like we witnessed in Judges 19 and feel no remorse for it, I can state w/o hesitation that they are "Christian" in name only.

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Do Christians think the concubine deserved to be raped to death? Was she "asking for it" (as modern people might phrase it)? If so what did she do to 'deserve it' or how was she 'asking for it'?

What would lead you to believe that?

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do not believe that. I was only asking the questions. Is there a problem? If you do not wish to answer or don't know the answer that is fine. I do not see any issue/problem.

St. Worms2 answered from his perspective. I think the answer was well stated and supported.

Well since you asked whether Christians believe that the concubine deserved to be raped, your question seemed to imply that the bible implied that she deserved it. Do you think the bible implied that?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Description is not prescription.

The Bible is full of described things which are horrid, ugly, and unbelievably wrong. But description is not prescription.

The Bible is not an instruction manual. But a collection of stories, letters, exhortations, songs, poems, wisdom sayings, etc. There are instructions in its pages, some only relevant for ancient Israel (the Torah), some universally relevant, "Love your neighbor"; but the Bible as a whole isn't a "book" of instruction; but rather an over-arching narrative of the story of God and God's people all (from a Christian perspective) culminating in Jesus Christ. And thus the Bible is first and foremost, for the Christian, always about Jesus. To read it any other way is, from an historically Christian perspective, to read it wrongly.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Description is not prescription.

The Bible is full of described things which are horrid, ugly, and unbelievably wrong. But description is not prescription.

The Bible is not an instruction manual. But a collection of stories, letters, exhortations, songs, poems, wisdom sayings, etc. There are instructions in its pages, some only relevant for ancient Israel (the Torah), some universally relevant, "Love your neighbor"; but the Bible as a whole isn't a "book" of instruction; but rather an over-arching narrative of the story of God and God's people all (from a Christian perspective) culminating in Jesus Christ. And thus the Bible is first and foremost, for the Christian, always about Jesus. To read it any other way is, from an historically Christian perspective, to read it wrongly.

-CryptoLutheran

This, +1000.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible, being a collection of ancient texts in ancient languages, can be less than easy for a 21st Century English speaker to totally comprehend.

Part of my background was in the history of Rome (both the Republic and Empire). The Ancients often did not write like we do today. I am not saying what the Bible says in this particular story.

If you don't wish to answer the questions or cannot that is fine. I have no issue with it. My questions seemed to have made you defensive. Perhaps I am wrong since the internet is not always the best way/form of communicating. If I am wrong then I apologize.

No offence taken, thank you.

Well, it seems to me that this forum is for non-believers to "explore Christianity", and I would think that goal would encompass "understand" Christianity and the bible as well. I'm sure you would agree that the question of whether or not the bible implied that the concubine deserved to be raped is quite important and that we should take the time to make sure we're not misinterpreting scripture, wouldn't you think so also? I personally don't believe the bible made that implication. But since this forum is designed to assist you in your exploration, and we want to help you in that effort, it is critical for us to know what part of scripture might have led you to ask that question.

So again, I personally don't see where anyone would read that story and come to the conclusion you queried about. But what about you? As one who is exploring our faith...do you see anything in scripture that might lead one to believe that the bible implies that the concubine deserved to be raped? If so, could you point out the verses so that we can address them?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
See what the result was in Judges 20...cause and effect. While the girl may or may not have deserved it (I personally dont think anyone deserves to be raped!), it's clear that the events that transpired had a much larger impact. Do you value physical life more than spiritual life?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
in the Bible, the Bible says of itself, Yhvh says in and through the Bible (which is His Word),
that all of Torah is profitable for instruction. It is very much for instruction.

when instruction was taken out of public schools in the usa for instance, within a few months things went downhill rapidly. (and have been keeping on going down since then).

when people don't read the instructions Yhvh the Creator gave for them, on how to live, on what to do daily, on what to do once for all, on what to do under any and all circumstances,
then they(usually) easily give in to others telling them what to do, what is wrong, what is politically or religiously 'correct' but sin according to the Creator Himself.

most of the world, for most of history, most of the time, is constantly and proudly sinning and sinful and doesn't care. even in many religious groups.

Reading the Bible is crucial for life, although little children who seek ABBA may without a printed word know His Will and do it, in sheer and gracious blessing from ABBA,
but this (humble as a little child) is very rare .....

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not really any particular verse that motivated me to ask the questions.

Can you explain what made you decide on this particular passage for the present thread?

It was the actions of some Christians I have had personal interaction with in the past. Some of which are my own family. Yes, I have had extremely negative interactions with Christians, both past and current.

It might be beneficial to know how this passage was interpreted by Christians you have interacted with and what denominational affiliations they may have had.

I am trying to believe that those were the exception rather than the rule, that the actions of a few do not reflect the attitudes of the whole. Some days I am closer to to that than others.

If you could provide a little more information, there are several people participating in this thread who may be able to help resolve some of the issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is not really any particular verse that motivated me to ask the questions. It was the actions of some Christians I have had personal interaction with in the past. Some of which are my own family. Yes, I have had extremely negative interactions with Christians, both past and current.

I am trying to believe that those were the exception rather than the rule, that the actions of a few do not reflect the attitudes of the whole. Some days I am closer to to that than others.

Anyway, thank you for your time and your response.

Oh, ok. Sorry to hear about your past experiences with other Christians. Speaking of those other Christians, I'm not one who believes that once one gets saved, all battles with the flesh end. In fact, Paul himself confessed that he still had to do battle with the fleshy part of himself. But Jesus assured him the that his grace was sufficient. So, what I'm saying is that please remember not to base your decision to believe or not believe Christianity solely on the actions of its members. I'm no expert, but I think that might be classified as a "genetic fallacy". I've prayed many times for God to help me be a good representative...sometimes I mess up...but I think that's his way of "learning me" how to be more loving and patient. A faith that isn't tested is a weak faith.

hmmm...I just noticed that I responded above in regards to Christians who try, but fail to act properly...but I guess you might be referring to those who call themselves Christians, but really aren't. Even the bible acknowledged that there would be some like that. In that case, please remember that a Jew is not a Jew who is one outwardly, but he is a Jew who is a one inwardly. It's a circumcision of the heart that makes the difference, not of the flesh.

Nice talking with you. Have a great nite!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vollbracht

Aug 30, 2014
✟8,399.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

No.

She had formerly betrayed her husband and, knowing her shame, fled and hid herself away, knowing the punishment due her by her husband was death.

But, though he was wounded by her disloyalty, his love for her compelled him to seek her out and speak peacably to her, that the division between them might be healed, and so it was and she loved him as herself as he loved her as himself.

Then one night, thinking that they would be safe in the land of Israel, some angry and wicked men sought to abuse the Levite, a priest of the Most High God, the husband to the woman. Just how she went out is irrelevant, but just why she went out was because her love for him sought to protect him by offering herself up in his place, thus demonstrating that loyalty from love which she had formally cast away had been restored.

How do I know this to be so? Because 2,000 years ago a High Priest went out and offered Himself for a bride that had cast Him out, that He might speak peaceably to her and bring her home with Him. That man? The Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0